Amanda's College Journey

So recently I’ve been working on a textadventure game, and I was heavily inspired by “Sarah Goes to College”, which I thought was an amazing game, and I wanted to do something like it, but with my own twist of course and build a different story. Also I’m very new at coding, so to see how others have done it was amazing source of inspiration. I don’t want to steal anything… I know it might remind you of it, but I’ll make really make it my own the more time I get to learn how to exactly code.

So far the build is fairly small. Nothing weight gain related has been made yet, but so far it’s just all about creating the college environment and people that will influence or can influence Amanda’s life and maybe even her figure in more ways.

This is the link have fun! It’s a not a lot, but it did take some time. Also I’m looking to learn from an experienced quest coder. I need to learn how to unlock things with certain items. That you either need to have in your inventory or wear. I also need to learn how to exactly like write a new script if that makes sense? Like make a transition if that makes sense. In Sarah Goes to College after they have been out eating at the restaurant a transition happens. If anyone knows how to do that then please guide me in vivid details, thank you.

https://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/zemozy9fb0m9ukwuotcswq/amandas-college-journey-version-1-0

23 Likes

I need to learn how to unlock things with certain items. That you either need to have in your inventory or wear. I also need to learn how to exactly like write a new script if that makes sense? Like make a transition if that makes sense. In Sarah Goes to College after they have been out eating at the restaurant a transition happens. If anyone knows how to do that then please guide me in vivid details, thank you.

Only made a copy, because I really want to know how to exactly do it, because it would really help me a lot :smiley:

3 Likes

2022 gonna be the year of college-themed WG text adventures and I am HERE for it!

In all seriousness though this is fun, can’t wait to see more! I’ve dabbled a bit in quest but I’ve found the help documentation and the tutorial vids from the creator to be very helpful in figuring out how the code works.

I just got back from work and I’m kinda beat rn but when I’m rested I’m more then happy to pop back in and help with the specific questions you have. Quest is a very fun if somewhat finnicky system to use.

5 Likes

You need to figure out how to use flags. If you need me to go more into detail let me know but that’s the thing you seem to need most atm. As for transitions if I understand you want things to change based on if events have happened. It may not be the smoothest but the way I did that was I made a variable that I added one to every time stuff that changed things happened, then made everything act on an if statement based on the value of that variable

As someone who’s been tinkering for a few text adventure games if you need any help just send a message my way, I can answer as best as I can. There is also this topic that could help shed some light:

The engine may look complicated but once you know how certain things fit into place it gets easier.

4 Likes

Thank you! I will probably send a message once I go back into work with the game, which will probably be a bit later today.

Thank you for the documentation and the videos. I will of course ask you if I have more problems :smiley:

honestly all these college weight gain games are good the only problem with them is that they never seem to get finished XD

that being said take your time though good writing is the most important of stuff for these kinds of games.

1 Like

I’ll try my best. I promise I’ll try to complete it. With every year complete I’ll probably add some details to the year before beginning on the second year, so that’s going to be my working process.

1 Like

Wait, so can you ever get out of college or is it just like the clubs and stuff

It’s very barebones for now, updates will expand on it.

ive said this alot here and so far no 1 wants to lol but fun game :slight_smile: if you want any ideas where to go to make it different from the original game i have some if you wanna hear

Well I’m always open to some creative ideas, what do have for me? :smiley:

dm me what you got so far and maybe i can fill in some blanks :slight_smile:

So, I know it been a long time ago since I last made a report on the game, and I think you all deserve a little explanation. I’ve been busy over the last month and also been sick the last 4 days, but I think I’ll soon be back to my full strength, then I’m sure the game will develop further. Hopefully a new version will be out in Marts, but we’ll see.

8 Likes

Is there any way to progress after interacting with everything? Or is that still to come? Could swear I remember doing a short time skip or something.

cant wait but take your time dont want burnout lol

1 Like

There will indeed in the future be a way to progress in the story after interacting with everything. That I can promise you :smiley:

So, another update and it’s a good one. I’m officially ready physically and mentally to continue on the game. It took me a while to get over covid. Especially because had to be focused on a lot other things in my life, but I’m hereby ready to continue on Amanda’s Journey through college, and I’m very excited. So I think that you will see a new version coming out maybe in middle of Marts or in the end of it, but I beg you all to be patient with me, because I want to create quality and quantity, which is very important for me. See you guys soon. I’m so happy to officially declare this game for back in development! :smiley:

11 Likes

Yooooo, awesome mate, i’m excited to see where this goes!

1 Like