Anchors Aweight! The Pirate Roguelite! (Announcement)

This is already implemented in the Mutiny system, which is a major game mechanic. Every moment that a task is unresolved, every time a crewmate is tossed overboard and every time a crewmember cannot eat when they head to the kitchen, Mutiny increases. Once Mutiny is at 100%, you lose, regardless of weight.

4 Likes

the game looks pretty good, it has potential, keep it up, you do a good job, but here the character will gain more weight when eating or you can’t

1 Like

In that case, maybe since extra incentive to not just toss a bunch of crew would be that they could come back as enemies or something with a vengeance for tossing them overboard.
Alternatively, if there’s a hidden luck or karma stat, the character could gain worse luck everytime they do, giving them worse rng over a period of time.
Finally, you could also add some really sad dialogue for each time a character gets thrown over to make players feel bad as well as making it a wall of text so that it is quite inconvenient.

1 Like

Crew are supposed to to gain weight over time, which is supposed to be a liability. If the new recruits are as good as the veterans, it obliviously sounds like an optimal strategy to constantly replace crew. Crew members could gain small bonuses and perks over time like upgrading delegation efficiency, increasing vigilance, leveling skill, and being more loyal and less mutinous. With upgrading over time, the value of the veterans probably would slowly depreciate as their weight rises but would make it more of a dilemma to keep/replace existing crew members.

3 Likes

Good news! The replacement GPU has been ordered. That’s all from me this week, my computer broke entirely.

5 Likes

Hello! I have a small update from the character art department!
Characters are going to receive higher quality portraits for both promotional art and in-game assets. Now you can get a much better look at your favourite minions before you decide whether or not to throw them overboard.

As before, the goal is to have the 5 generic minion body types (barring the captain who has their own body type) so we can match any new recruits to a role that best suits their personality and shape. From a short, stout, “Working hard - hardly working” repairs minion, to a bulky, fearsome “Punch EVERYTHING” fighting minion, and everywhere in-between.

I’ll be working hard to give each minion type a recognizable personality through imagery and animation, and I’ll do my best to keep you updated as I work!

That’s all from me, see you soon!

40 Likes

Good news! My computer is fixed! Game coding will start again next week! Thank you to everyone for being so patient, be sure to tune in on Tuesdays and Thursdays for more updates!

20 Likes

Terry GO

4 Likes

Y’all are so funny, seeing the suggestions people keep adding to the game bible on accident are hilarious. There’s been advertising, asking us to delete images or make them headers, and keysmashing. It’s usually the highlight of my day, but please be sure not to click any links on our documents that look suspiciously like ads.

4 Likes

Several thoughts.

1. With a name like the Bermuda Nacho, there had BETTER be an ocean of molten cheese somewhere.

2. Will we be able to use vore ourselves? The document doesnt really seem to mention it. Mayhaps as a cost benefit thing for mutiny? Having a misbehaving crew eaten lowers the mutiny bar, but you are now down a man with all their weight staying on the ship. Even more so if its the captain that does the deed, she wont throw HERSELF overboard after all.

3. Are all characters going to start at least chubby? Or will there also be string beans to fatten up?

4. Customization for the Captain? At the very least, I would like a collection of progressively more elaborate captains hats.

5. No Kraken?

4 Likes

I am definitely going to enjoy this game when it comes out

3 Likes

No Kraken?

6 Likes

Hearing an ocean of molten cheese just reminded of this album
1991_Sailing_the_Seas_of_Cheese

9 Likes
  1. Currently, the ‘tooth’ artifact set does allow the player to engage in vore; none of the teeth are availaible until the first ascension run.

2. Nope! There will be less weighty characters. There’s one curvaceous body type and one muscular body type that aren’t ‘rail thin’ but are heavier.

3. Technically, yes, but it’s not what you requested.

4. I think the Great White Storm might conflict with adding a Kraken, so no promises there.

5. An ocean of molten cheese… I’m getting ideas…

Still not sure if I should redo the whole game in Unreal Engine. We’ve been going over what needs to happen and I’ve been learning 3D (very fun) and building the website for it, and most of the code I’ve written will port neatly to Unreal. We’d be doing a Paper Mario style if we went that route, with the characters being flat and the world being three dimensional; we’re having a lot of discussion about how to handle the actual mechanics and it’s stalled progress on a demo of the game. What does everyone here think? I’m not releasing anything less than a quality demo.

5 Likes

I think i would prefer a 2d enviroment. As i look to the sprites previously shown i find them very cute and while 3d sprites might allow us to see “more” of the characters i dont actually know if it would trasnlate the same fellings i get when i look at the current sprites. Or maybe it’s just me that’s just to used to 2d furry art instead of 3d.

2 Likes

Maybe a poll is required

1 Like

It’s not a matter of translating the character sprites to 3d-- it’s cheaper to keep them 2d, and they’ll look better that way. It’s more about changing the environments; I have to do physics calculations on the boats, and navigating with the boat is not easy in a 2d environment (we’re limited to how much movement can be shown on screen at a time, since boats are fairly large in reality. We’re not talking about a single character here, even as fat as she can get, but something the size of an apartment building.) We’ve done a little testing and realized pretty quickly that we can’t get the definition we’d like with 2D. It’d also help with the water animations in general-- animating water is hell, I realized, but UE5 has plenty of tools for quickly and efficiently animating water and water displacement for crewmates thrown overboard.

2 Likes

That don’t wreak havoc on lower-end graphics cards, right?
*nervously laughs in Integrated Graphics *

3 Likes

Okay, pardon the question, but would it be possible to have custom skins for the crew? Either unlockables, or modded skins? I can think of a pirate crew that would fit in this game…

2 Likes

Alright, I’ve made an account just to post my thoughts on switching engines because I am really looking forward to this game actually becoming a thing. What’s most important to consider is just how long it will take to learn a new engine (unless you’ve already worked with it before). In my observation of similar events happening, switching engine has led many developers to slow down considerably until finally deciding to cancel the project. There is also some problem with previous code not translating well between engines, but it seems that isn’t exactly an issue going by what you’ve said previously. There are also many benefits to switching such as different tools to make your job easier despite needing to learn something new. If you believe that such a thing is necessary, than switching to UE5 would be the correct approach. I wish you the best of luck no matter the decision you make.

1 Like