Apocalypse XL - Stuffing Focused RPG, postapocalypse college / city setting - 0.16 "There's No Cops In The Apocalypse"

I just finished up the demo and I have to say I really like the feel of the game. It feels like it’s own thing. I only say this because while I’ve never seen it done poorly and haven’t seen games go beat for beat with each other causing them to feel same-y, I do feel like a good amount of the rpg maker games(at least that I’ve played)fall into the fantasy setting a lot so I like this game being more of sci-fi setting with the mutations and apocalypse stuff. I really like the characters. Keith is just amazing and Amber and her roommate are really cool as well. I really like how Amber digested things, in a metaphorical sense as it took her some time to feel things out and she’s just trying to make the best of a really rough situation. Really an amazing game in my eyes and your art is really good and I feel like it stands from other artist who work on games here.

Now I am going to add one more thing and this one is not a critique, complaint or anything of the such, just giving my opinion on the game and everything I found.

I did find it, for lack of a better term “odd” when Amber was revealed to be trans. When I use the world odd I do not mean it in a mean spirited way as It’s something I’ve never seen before in a game like this so I didn’t expect it but it sets Amber apart from other character in the world you’re building as well as other characters on the site and I like that. It also pushes the fact that this game takes place in a much more modern setting which is something again that I actually really like. If anything this is just more so me feeling conflicted about it due to my own reasons, but at the end of the day it did not retract from my overall enjoyment of the game.

I’m really interested to see how this develops further as you continue to work. You’ve set such a solid foundation for an absolutely stellar game. I hope that your endeavors continue to go smoothly and that you enjoy your time working on the project. I look forward for what you have in store!

4 Likes

this rules. need more expeditiously

4 Likes

love this game cant wait for more

2 Likes

I have to say that this is pretty great as a demo. It isn’t so much because it is the best thing ever, but rather more that it’s good without having anything wrong with it. I can’t even think of a minor complaint, which has never happened before. I really hope that this pans out, because it has a ton of potential.

2 Likes

career1

5 Likes

This is a flaw in the engine that no game maker is responsible for but all of them could fix:

originally told to me by unable2win at this post Some Bullshit - Stuffing Focused RPG Maker Game - #2072 by Unable2Win

copy pasted here:

First go into the games “www” folder and from there open the “js” folder. Once there open the file “rpg_core” in Notepad or some other text editor. Once open, you need to find the line:
if (this._skipCount === 0)
You can use ctrl+f to quickly find it. Once you have found it you need to replace it with this line:
if (this._skipCount < 0)

I found this fixes the visuals freezing. Make sure to save your changes before exiting. Also you will need to do this again once the new update comes out.

:endquote

I’ve tested the above fix in dozens of games and it always works. It has to do with letting go of buttons and rpgmaker handling the logic incorrectly.

4 Likes

First of all, I love the art, it really helps to portrait the characters, how they change mid dialog is also an very welcome feature!
I appreciate how , for the demo at least, there are no random battle and just ones staged to make a difference, or set ones, like in Lisa the Painful, otherwise I would recommend using like Speed Up | RPG Maker Forums the Speed up add-on. Pokémon Insurgence uses it giving 5 different speeds, speeding up the grinding quite a bit and you change with a hotkey.

The HP of the mobs i was unsure at first how to feel about them, maybe test a bit on the normal attack by buffing a bit, or giving a HP bar. The Twinkies sure did help and were VERY welcome tho!

Overall, great Demo and I can’t wait what you will do next! Cheers~

4 Likes

Combat where you are expected to actually use your consumable items?! Say whaaaaaat

3 Likes

If there is ONE complain about the game… it’s the twinkies. BECAUSE YOU COULD HAVE EASILY MADE THE JOKE “TWINKHEMICAL WARFARE”

3 Likes

I hate random encounters as much as every person on Earth and won’t be adding them. Scripted makes for more fun fights either way.

The standard attack is intentionally a bit weak to encourage using skills and items instead. It’s basically the “slap your opponent on the cheek because you can’t think of anything else” move

Thank you for this, I’ll do my best to remember to add it. This is a change that needs to be made to the compiled game and not the project files?

absolutely using this somewhere

3 Likes

The only way I know to implement this fix is to do so on the final product. In theory this logical change effects the way the release of buttons works, but the default logic is awful.

So if you were designing say a DDR style rtyhmn game you likely wouldn’t want this “fix”

2 Likes

The fix should work fine if you add it to the rpg_core file inside your project files too, since all of the js files are just copied to your compiled game anyway.

1 Like

The standard attack is intentionally a bit weak to encourage using skills and items instead. It’s basically the “slap your opponent on the cheek because you can’t think of anything else” move

I may recommend instead having a move that regenerates MP or generate TP, using a small combo system, or microgame system that rewards with MP/TP regeneration can be interesting as well, since during the final boss of the demo I found to be more advantageous to just block and wait for the MP to regenerate than use the basic attack.

1 Like

You’re meant to regenerate MP by eating items. It represents usable Calories in the character’s stomach. (Did you mean waiting for TP to regenerate? If your MP regenerates at all from things other than food it’s a bug)

You get TP/Tension by doing basically anything other than using a move that spends it, it’s meant as a sort of power attack charge meter. I might look into how much you get from Guard compared to other things if it’s overblown–maybe the TP from other stuff needs to be a bit higher.

A move or item that gives a burst of TP could be a thing in the future for sure.

2 Likes

The thing about the way RPG Maker handles TP is that if an attack misses, the character also doesn’t gain any TP from making the attack, whereas guarding will always “hit”, making it a reliable consistent source of gaining TP. I, for one, don’t have a problem with the regular attack being underpowered since the opposite would favor just spamming the action key, which would make battles very boring, very quickly.

It might help if the player had more information to work with in deciding what to do (i.e. knowing more accurately how much damage a skill does compared to the regular attack or related ability score, an enemy health bar to help the player gauge whether it is worth it to guard for an extra turn or to try to take em out with a regular attack, etc.)

3 Likes

teaser
hmmmmmm who’s this

7 Likes

Just finished the demo, gotta say, absolutely loved it! Love the apocalypse theme, kinda reminds me of the Lisa games minus all the super dark stuff.

Overall very excited to see what happens next with this!

2 Likes

Looks like is a cutie!

1 Like

VERSION 0.0.5 “Flunking Chem at the End of the World”

This version features a full intro sequence as well as a mutant talent show. Watch as Amber eats too much live on stage.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
Warning: Demo saves are not compatible with this version! If you want to skip the section in the demo, enter the secret code backwards in the ATM. Future versions will always be compatible with older saves, this is a one-time thing.

Edit: bugfix update & made first boss a bit more forgiving.
Edit2: slimes no longer have a small chance of sending you straight to hell
Edit3: Fascination now just makes a character skip one turn, first boss should be more consistent and actually not as hard. I messed up the change last time, whoops :slight_smile:
Edit4: fixed a softlock

8 Likes

What is the secret code?

1 Like