Apostles (Latest Update 0.10: July 2023)

Update has been great so far but I got to a softlock at Violet’s fight with the toxic horror. Bill went down first, then Violet, and Pat just keeps dying over and over. For reference I went to Dana’s house first, then for Gretal’s choices picked the second option each time, then a fail option I don’t remember. Also side note the ghosts were great.

2 Likes

Dang sorry about that! I think I know the problem so I’ll work on a fix.
As for now though I recommend giving that fight another go, as you’ll not want to miss the secrets it unlocks! Violet’s hunker down ability is key there, as is Pat’s 100 tp ability, with Bill-Bill swapping between her slash skewer attacks. Hope the rest of the update is less buggy!

2 Likes

Note- I dumb and never remember to fix this, but if you notice you have weird frame rate with things going much to fast/slow, save then head to the main menu to flip the “Synch Monitor FPS” setting.

2 Likes

When I get to the Violet staircase section after the group checks out the room with the weight for each character, during the fight with the chicken I get a second encounter with it as Violet enters the top tile, and after defeating it the game softlocks.

Drat! Violet’s sections continues to be a net for all sorts of bugs. I’ll try to give you a fix quickly, but can you be a bit more specific as to where the bug happened? What section of the game are you in, is it the new content for 0.6 or something older? What were you doing just before Violet’s section?

I downloaded 0.6, this is the scene after the 2nd feast (the one in Maya’s house) so I’m guessing pretty old. I picked Violet as the first character to interact with. The scene progresses normally until you get to the chicken fight, after which Violet keeps walking up and encounters a second one where the room exit normally is. After defeating it, she stays there and nothing can be done, you can’t even open the pause menu.

I believe I have a fix. If you download this map, then open up the game’s “www” then “Data” folders and place this to replace the old map 203 then it should fix itself if you redo the room.

Alternatively if that doesn’t work, here is a save directly after the dang chicken fight. Sorry again for the bug!

It worked! Thanks a lot, I’m enjoying the game so far, though I looked through the files and the sheer horror character set makes me nervous lol.

1 Like

SPOILERS! Lol no worries. Though that does give me the idea to add a bunch of disturbing images and fake outs to trick anyone who tries to look through the files :slight_smile:

And glad you like the game, hope it’s smooth sailings with fewer bugs!

Sorry I’m back lol, but I figure it’s better to get those out of the way.

Next up a bug with Pamela’s scene (the same section as Violet’s, still checking out all stories there). After the cutscene with the caravan, I have to invite people to Pamela’s house, but whenever I enter one, it plays a scene from the stories list instead of whatever’s supposed to, and after that I get thrown back to the character selection. When attempting to progress Pamela’s story further, the game softlocks on a black screen before the caravan cutscene.

I’m going to try playing through all the characters’ scenes before doing Pamela’s, but it can be annoying for others.

Still loving the game though, don’t worry :sweat_smile:

Darn! Sorry about a second bug so soon, RPG maker has a strict 999 map policy so I usually try to “recycle” old maps to get the most out of them. The bug comes from a much later scene overlapping with what you are meant to get.

Here’s a map fix same as the last.

I apologize again for making you an unwilling canary to bugs made from the new update. I will be going through myself as quickly as I can now through old sections to find any bugs I might have made. Since these are all bugs made by recent meddling I can offer up a slightly older version of Apostles 0.5 that should be bug free up to that part, and saves should work forward and backwards. 917.52 MB file on MEGA

Thanks again, though might as well continue and be a tester of sorts. Good luck with development!

1 Like

You know that meme where a german officer says are we the baddies… ya that’s how I felt with this game. And the fetish content is good, like I never thought there would be a fetish game where I want the people fattening up people… to fail, like for anyone playing this I won’t get specific but gd, it really does get dark but it’s too late. This review is for the last portion I just finished before he released this new part. I got to the memory. Like you created a story where idk what’s going too happen. I feel like the immortal should have a strong part and I’m hoping the villagers will eventually be able to resist… the sweets and stuff… not getting specific anyway, but also I want everyone bigger so idk. I mean you created a story where now I have to see it too the end. Like its… idk… how do I say, is it for the greater good or not who knows but I know people will get fat and that I don’t mind, and well I’m excited to play the new part soon.

3 Likes

Well that was so darker then I thought it would be But Still Love the Story, I have to say I am loving where this story is going and the more darker ideas because I have a friend like Gretel who is a very fun and nice person but has very bad depression and I know both how both Gretel and Sebastian are l feel right now also Sebastian is right the only thing they can do is be there for her.

2 Likes

So I finished .6 (On my birthday no less), and this is definitely one of the better updates for Apostles, but i feel it was a bit Boy who cried Wolf, cause JESUS does this get dark, much more then previous updates but that is not something (I at least) will hold against the game, just think the scaling of dark shit between .4,.5 and .6 are not equivalent, as I will get into in the review
SPOILERS FOR .6 IF YOU HAVEN’T PLAYED .6 AND GIVE A SHIT DON’T UNBLUR THE TEXT
This is just my opinion, you are free to disagree as you like

Pros:

Saucapalooza: With where this update goes and what it deals with/implies, the fact you made the sauce still flow aplenty is a welcome surprise, this may be my Hypno/MC loving side coming in, but the Dina and L scene is definitely up there for the best in the game so far, If there is anyone who isn’t in the shadow realm that deserves to get the sledgehammer treatment to the mind, then it is definitely Dina, and seeing that L has and will not restrained herself in doing so is great to hear, the new sprites for Pamela and Jacob are also fantastic (Thank you, Cj-X4 if he did them)

Fortunate Son: Actually getting to see the people mentioned by Steph/Pamela(Those are the ones I’m certain of, unsure if the other people have relations). The squad getting ambushed by rebels and Jim(possibly with the help of Gretel/the apostles) surviving a knife attack by the rebel girl and choosing whether or not to save or kill her. It was an unexpected but welcome break, akin to Galloway’s breaks in .5, showing the world outside of Auburnwoods.

Fahkeet: The level of darkness in this game went into fucking overdrive, deadass, this is not a bad thing for me, I love me some well done grimdark, as stated in the intro, this is a shade much darker than the previous updates with your warning, and so it got sneak attack damage on my psyche (Was not expecting Gretel’s Mental Break to go as far as it did, but i am ok with the fact it did) this was akin to the final stage of Hotline Miami 2 (Hence the title being the music for that stage) in terms of my mental confusion at this part. which leads me into

Gretcon 4:I have my personal theory on what has been going on with Gretel, and for better or for worse this update has raised 4 questions for every one answered. She is sincerely enigmatic as fuck and I am here for it, albeit I already gathered she was extremely powerful via context clues and the Gretel variant of the Slaver scene. My theory on her this update has both been emboldened and muddied. The characters split second blinking in and out of existence was also a nice touch, albeit one that really makes me worried for Gretel.

Through Suffering to the Stars: Waxer’s ability to write “monologues” (Not sure if it counts, but fuck it) has been once again proven, the Per Aspera scene was great, albeit I may be biased, with my foot also in the Hypno Community, I kinda saw this as a good critique of some Hypno games, the ones where you basically just homogenize the girls personalities and turn them into while lovable, repetitive wives (Corruption, as much as I love you, i’m looking at you here) cause I agree with both of them, L cause Steph could potentially fuck herself up with Ivo’s fast, Gretel because where does correcting flaws and suffering end? It is a really well done scene and I’m not even sure if Gretel was Hansel(Edgy Eyes Gretel, since we don’t have a name for that state i don’t think) in that speech

Sebastion: Was not expecting the twist on their relationship, and the fact he is the Batman of the Apostles to Gretel’s Superman surprises me (Contingency plans, relatives died, etc.). And the fact that he is doing his best to pull the good out of her really warms my heart.

Red Dead Garlic Bread: I am starting to see a Motif in this game(Even if it may not be intentional) of Redemption vs. Regression, the Adventurer trials and choices you can do with them, the town coming back from the brink, Gretel’s War Crimes, Sebastian’s wife, L’s Parents, and i’m sure there are more examples but it is a nice theme, and it is genuinely helping to counterbalance the darker moments of the game, knowing that a good ending is possible for these characters, even if it requires struggle.

Wilting Violet: While only for a short bit of the update (Considering she is Gretel’s main prisoner, this surprised me in the moment but made sense in grander context) the fact she seemed to finally showed some emotion besides anger, frustration and it’s cousins is a welcome sight, albeit curing Gretel of what ails her to have the opening shots become canon is now my priority number one.

Cons:

Dazed and Confused: .6 and .5 both really threw the book at my face in different ways, this update threw me into Gretel’s Break and all the shit and confusing details of it (“Wait Infanticide? Who the fuck are you? Wait, the fuck? HuH?!”) and then the updated ended. They both share the common problem of overstimulating my brain (.5 with Lore and .6 with Lore on a Bad Trip) and then going “That’s all folks!”. This is not the worst, since i do understand this is the “Episode” climax, but that doesn’t stop me from wondering wtf just happened. Which if that’s what you meant to happen, I congratulate you.

That is all i can think to say on it as of 8/5/2021, overall this update rediscovered the balance of sauce and story again that made me fall in love with this game in the first place, and while this update is the first to make me say “WAIT YOU’RE JUST LEAVING IT LIKE THAT!?” I can’t deny I enjoyed the update thoroughly, the complicating enigma of Gretel, the sauce across the update, the break from reality at the end, it is the crashing worlds of Spec Ops the Line/Hotline Miami 2 and Weight Gain that I have constantly enjoyed about this series, and while when the cards are down I will side with the people who will deliver the sauce, you have done a damn good job muddying the waters and making me question whether I am wearing a black hat or white hat when playing this game. I am giving this an score of 9.8/10, Waxer really knocked it out of the park with this one (albeit no immobile blob harems yet so no 10/10). Joking aside I am still coming down from the fucking trip that was that penultimate scene and I mean that as a compliment, keep up the good work Waxer and if you go darker, for the love of whatever god you believe in, change the intensity of the warnings for depending on the update, the same update from .4 and .5 is like saying “Hey, it’s a bit hot out today” when taking a step outside immediately makes you collapse from heatstroke

Tl;Dr Darkity darkity dark dark dark, but like dark chocolate I can’t resist, genuinely great update for those that can ford the waters, a great unintentional birthday gift and masterful balance of story and sauce. Eagerly awaiting .7.

2 Likes

Dude thanks, I never care about spoilers really, even in mainstream stuff let alone a fetish game but that shit in my eyes already took a fuckin dark turn in the last update (which I finished right before this update a few days ago), so thanks for the review, I can mentally prepare myself for how dark it’s gonna get. I just hope they didn’t fuck with Thomas, he’s a good man, let him enjoy his broccoli soup dammit

3 Likes

I had a lore question.

considering we know that since Gretal is purposefully starving herself which is greatly weakening her, does this mean if an Apostle partakes in the sin they are a part of they will gain more power? And the better question, will we see a fat Gretal? If she is able to move on from her past trauma and be able to forgive herself

1 Like

As always thank you for such detailed feedback, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t look forward to reading them! :slight_smile: (And happy birthday by the way!)
You aren’t wrong about the upscale of darkness in this update, with my warning perhaps not going deep enough to cover how the ‘slight shade’ of 0.1 transitions to the ‘dark hole’ of 0.6. While some dark elements are essential to the telling of the story, I do think in the future I will make them a lot more optional and strongly warned to be dark before going through. I’m thinking mostly of future Gretel memory sections, where all future memory viewing will be optional.

Glad you like Dina so much! I feel like she was one of the characters who had been in the background far too long! (With Bel right next to her, but even if Bel’s content was short, there was the tease of her imminent birthday PARTY coming up, so she’ll get her moment soon!) But back to Dina I’m glad you enjoyed it, I had trouble trying to write her scene but once I got it together it became one of my own personal favorites as well! And it was surely helped along by CJ, who did all the sprite work for this update!

Whew. To be honest, I was worried for two things of this update. That people would either be turned off by the horror or too to bored of the 2 cutaways to the Soldiers! But it seems that was another unfounded fear, so I apologize. Glad you enjoyed the section with them! I thought it would be nice to give a little character to the fiancée, son, and Husband we’ve heard so much about! It won’t be the last we’ll see of them (or of Galloway)

Seems like the Gretel section had the desired affect! I will continue her mystery by saying no more!

Per Aspera Ad Astra: Thank you! Every update always has one section of scene that basically has me write, erase, then rewrite something for a week straight. Last time it was Heather and Sebastian’s talk about why she was getting fat and the nature of Apostles, before that it was Galloway and Sebastian’s talk before she left, and this time it was this section with Gretel and Lily.
It’s good to know that the conversation pays off as being thought provoking! You bring up every point I wanted to make with them, especially with the comparison to Hypno games/stories, I know the exact phenomenon you talk about.

Sebastian: The real mastermind is showing his face! Don’t let that sleeply outlook fool you!

Redemption vs Regression wasn’t my intention, but I can see it now that you describe it, so Hey I’ll take credit!

And Yay, glad Violet’s section went well too!

Now to the dreads COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS!

I’ll be honest, it may be my inner sadist coming out (who is also responsible for certain parts of this update I wager) but I’ll take leaving my audience in a constant state of “WHAT THE FUCK” as my own Pro. Though don’t worry all questions already have their answers planned, so they will be given…eventually!

A score of 9.8? Hot diggidly doda I’ll take it happily! (Though I bet I should have extended Lily’s midsection rap longer, I bet that would have made the 10! :slight_smile: ) But in all seriousness this was an update I was EXTREMLY nervous would be taken poorly, with the obvious fear towards Gretel’s madness sections. But as always my fears are unfounded! Not only that but to hear that the Lewd and the Lore worked well together is the best news I could have hoped for!

Really I do not have the words thank you as much as I mean, but I try all the same. Thank you!

2 Likes

@joemoehow No Thomas’s were harmed in the making of this update I promise! (This promise does not extend to future updates.)

@avakann To answer you first question yes, an Apostles gains power by partaking from their own sin personally (which is why Sebas likes to sleep!) but also when they make OTHERS partake in the sin for them (which is why Lily like to sleep around!)
As for is Gretel can move on and become fat and happy…well we’ll just have to see!

3 Likes

Just put up 0.6.1 to dix some bugs! Big thanks to PeachClamNine who sent me something to fix the title image so that the missionaries aren’t squished. (Sorry to those who liked them THICC.)

2 Likes