Apostles (Latest Update 0.10: July 2023)

Thank you, I will do my best!

1 Like

I played the latest update a while back but forget to post my review. These are my thoughts, at least from what I can remember.

0.9 was a great addition to what is already the best RPGMaker WG game in the world; this is indisputable to the point that I find it more worthwhile to detail the only part of the update that I didn’t like over all of the things I did like.

I am talking about the slob arc. Yes, I know that fetishes are a matter of taste. But hardcore slob is a niche within a niche. Only a minority of WG fans enjoy it while the rest of us find it categorically repulsive. And while one could argue that something as transcendentally disgusting as slob would stand as a good product of Lily’s character motivations, you could easily counter such a claim by maintaining the fact that, as far as erotic works like Apostles are concerned, likely turn offs should be easily and readily avoidable. Next time, I would appreciate it if an arc with an unorthodox fetish was presented with a warning so that those who would not enjoy its contents can skip it.

P.S. I do remember Heather mentioning that Lily’s dreamnovel was going to be fucked up, but I just didn’t interpret that to mean slob.

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts! Glad you enjoy the game, and the latest update (for the most part!) Having the title of the ‘best rpgmaker wg game in the world’ will surely go on my business cards in the future!

Sorry the slob Heather arc was such a negative experience for you. While I do hear you with wanting to be warned before getting to content you don’t like, I don’t find warning tags as an ideal solution. My reason being that it can spoil or even ruin the story telling and events for people who DO want to see the content.

To use Mrs.PuppersKuppers, Sebastian’s dog, as an example. Her content was likely just as much as a turn off to certain people, as the Slob Heather section. However in Mrs. Pupper Kuppers case if I gave the warning tags “Hey watch out, this next section will have animal fattening, and animal stomach bursting” then that would give away that part of the story before it actually happens and ruin the ending.

So rather then tags, I make the more extreme content optional and before the choice force the save screen open to let players save. If the players choose to head into the content, and find it not something they want to see, then the game can be closed, and they can load the save safely and without any progress lost.

Though sorry again the Slob Heather section was not to your fancy, I hope you like the content of 0.10 more!

3 Likes

Suggestion: Would you be willing to edit the thread topic with the game version and last update date? Makes it easier for a lot of us to track updates and not download the same file twice (due to poor memory~~ or just being overwhelmed at times… sometimes both).

Or did you already decide against that?

2 Likes

@SirKata
Ah, that’s a pretty good idea.

5 Likes

was MrsPuppersKuppers the only animal to meet such a fate with Cynthia? are the apostles powerful to affect the fauna in this way? Was MrsPupperKuppers really the only pet Sebastian had?

(I ask this because, at the end of the update in the conversation with Cynthia, Sebastian says “dogs” implying that she has probably replicated the incident several times, does she do this a lot?)

also, I really liked that part, it was awful lol I hope it’s not the only time we see this

2 Likes

I’ve had plans for her for several updates now, but each time focus on other characters has saved her. But I think her ending might just be coming in 0.10….

Sebastian has had a total of three dogs in his life, all of which Lady Cynthia has killed.

Though now Sebastian has ‘Cerberus’ the three headed monster dog Gretel once gave him as an apology. Cerberus was the monster the 4 adventures fought way back in update 0.1. He showed a remarkable healing factor, which Gretel gave in the hope of making sure this was one dog Sebastian didn’t lose.

And glad you enjoyed that section!

2 Likes

THE HEATHER SLOB RANT!! (again thanks for making a fetish game so well writen it makes me look forward to the plot instead of the bellies!) fuck lily i hate her with a burning passion. thats it, thats the whole rant.

on another note sebastian is not truly rehabilitating heather, he’s converting her. he’s effectively presenting himself as omnipresent omni potent and omni conscious this combined with the fact he’s actually a cult leader and an apostle of sin makes it seem like he’s not truly giving a criminal a second chance at life but rather putting the fear of god (the niss) in a person. like a conversion camp heather is told she many things she is: evil, a criminal, a killer, a sadist. but instead of using a medical term to describe an affliction she may have (emotional callous or Callous-unemotional) she is told shes a sociopath, a term no longer used by medics and now used to simply refer to someone evil. and the only cure for that evil is not heather working out her problems, its not her having proper therapy and medication but having this figure presented before her and telling her “THIS IS YOUR SAVIOR, HE WILL MAKE YOU RIGHT ONLY THROUGH HIM CAN YOU BECOME SOMEONE OF USE AND WORTHY OF LOVE. its like a cult of personality and he is the head. not only that. sure heather is a horrible person, but when she was given her own room i noticed something, she was given access to other cult members and to my surprise her whole cake story made it apparent sebastian is using psychological warfare. he knows what she has gone trough and uses those represses wishes and wants from her unfulfilled childhood to further indoctrinate her. in essence sebastian is pavlov and heather has truly become a dog. the irony is almost palpable. a beastia turned back to a slobering animal so entranced by this shallow pleasure she may not ever want acept the new life sebastian promised. previously sebastian was pissed by heather calling him a slaver in his own tongue but in the end he is no different from an elven master giving her bestial slave drugs to keep him obedient and happy. “ the house bestial doesnt want to leave his master side because when they say: i have a beautiful house, the house bestial will respond with: yes master! we have a beautiful house!”.

also cults are bad and predatory and i dont have to explain this part. and the niss apparently is no different sadly. also the worst part is the convertion extends to her developing feelings for sebastian. as if that always was the plan. just another pet he gets to play with and then leave behind to get a new one

2 Likes

Finally got around to fully playing through the game and loved it. Easily the best RPG maker game, not even close.

Only one thing must be said: Sophia best waifu. Hope we get tons more content with her!

2 Likes

Getting me on mixed feelings there. I love the darker tone of the story and I am sure when I finish this game I will be sitting in my room and thinking about the game for some time like I did when I finished SIGNALIS

2 Likes

what the fuck? i love sebastian now!
also i just finished this build. thank you for such a wonderful game!
(as for my previous rant its almost like the writer was inside my head anticipating all of my analysis. sebastian being self aware enough to call out his own hypocresy when it came with the power dynamic was stellar.)

2 Likes

@Varlin
Thank you very much for the kind words! Always helps morale to keep making more! As for Sophia, no worries, she’ll be a part of the next update, without a doubt!

@Markava123JD I take mixed feelings and time spent pondering the morality of the characters as a high compliment!

@superaguilar2002 Ah, I’m glad to see a renewed love for Sebastian! The game does intentionally try to keep you unsure if the Apostles are the ‘good’ or ‘bad’ guys, and it seems like the update did that well. Glad you liked the game, I hope you enjoy the more that’s to come!

1 Like

It was indeed a compliment. Because not many games make have to think about what just happened in them. I may feel regret , sadness , happiness or even fulfillment and satisfaction that I went through the game and finally finished it. I believe it be the same case on Apostles. My excitement for future updates remains strong !

1 Like

Also heres a theory i cooked up cuz i feel bad i finished the build and want more.

theory of why lily doesn’t go full on “demon of slaanesh”.
lets start by explaining what slaanesh is. it is both a faction and the god of excess. but what counts as excess? the demons of slaanesh are known to be slavers, killers, sadit, torturers, rapists. indulging in all kinds of depraved acts. no one is safe from their never ending lust; no matter age or gender; and need for new intoxicating experiences (think like they are and infinite number of copies of cynthia all nicely wrapped in an eco chamber). both demons and human followers of the god are avid drug users, used both to enhance senses, pain receptors and combat abilities. for them there is no line between pleasure and pain, those sensations melt together creating a culture that views flaying a man and crawling on his insides as a common practice. yada yada they are objectively evil and eat babies in all the senses. so…what stops lily from doing exactly that? it can’t be morality from the way she treats heather’s brother, and it cant be she doesn’t get off of getting “killed”, hurt or mortally wounded since she gets her head split open by one of her consorts while her heart stops. so what is it then? what stops lily from doing acts so depraved any sentient being would qualify as evil? my theory is that she only respects power so whoever is stronger than her will get her favor. gretel is objectively a walking nuclear bomb capable of destroying the world and sebastian is an unparalleled genius. both are also apostles of sin. with this i come to the conclusion that she aligns herself with her superiors’ morals and that those people are the only thing stopping her from making living puppets from people on meat hooks and forcing them to play her fantasies in real life.

also fuck lily. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Based Lily hater :handshake:

For real though, you had the exact same reaction I did of “Man, fuck Sebastian and Lily” to “Ok, Seb is a bit more nuanced; And I want to see what he does… But also still fuck Lily”

2 Likes

i picture lily actually enjoying being twice as twisted as cynthia while sebastian is pretty good. i like how he strugges to mantain his ideas in a cruel world.

Dayum, all these people want to fuck lily? It’s a good thing that’s her favorite thing to do!

But yes, each of the main three is written with their own set of flaws. In Lily’s case, she sees the world in too much of ‘black and white’. Or more plainly, she sees good people and bad people.

The ‘good people’ Sophia, Veronica, and the people of Auburnwoods, Lily loves. She wants to do everything she can to make them happy, have a good time, and she would lay down her life to protect them.

For ‘bad people’ such as Heather and Mauve, we see how she treats them. Bad people are bad, so why treat them nicely?

However in Lily’s defence, of the main 3 she is the only one to never kill someone. Gretel has her own inner darkness that has been shown. As for Sebastian, there is a period of life, his early centuries of life that were…not good, to say the least.

As for Lily being twice as twisted as Cynthia, I disagree, Lily would never hurt a dog!

2 Likes

The issue in that case is that Lily IS the “bad people” and yet she doesn’t have any self awareness of her actions nor the consequences. Especially with Mauve, the player has been told Mauve is the bad guy but in this situation he is VERY CLEARLY AN ABUSED VICTIM of Lily’s.
On the murder note, I think this was one of the edited or removed scenes so it might be different from when I last played. But She talked those (Also Abused) Women into comiting suicide

2 Likes

nice, more lore.
you still havent said she wouldnt pull a slaanesh on “bad people” tho.

1 Like

its not suicide…its more like ego death. hehe.
and yes, she isn’t self aware enough. i think i see some kind of comentary on the justice systems. one is meant to reform and help in some countries but others exclusively use the penitentiary system to punish. its like mechanical orange, she disregards rejects of society as mere tools of use and dispose. not caring about them and what happens after they get out. its like the saying: “when education is not liberating the dream of the oppressed is to become the oppressor.” (it makes me think she was once a victim and now that she has power shes now the victimizer) shes perpetuating a cycle of violence and thats why i think most people dont like her, she is in essence the establishment. enforcing a brutal rule of her pure unquestionable “justice”.

2 Likes