Are there terms/words for these physical traits?

One thing that often gets overlooked is the creative terminology used to describe certain body parts/features and specific physical attributes. For instance, we’ve got words for Muffin-Tops, Love Handles, Pot Bellies, Pooches, Overhangs, Front-Butts, Stretch-Marks, Linea Nigras, Linda Albas, Dimples (Cellulite), Thunder Thighs, Saddlebags, Banana Rolls, etc. but there’s still plenty of other common features that I try to describe to others in words but don’t know the terminology for what it is that I’m describing. If there are existing words for what I’m talking about, please let me know, and if not, please come up with some. Because people have no idea what I’m talking about in writing and it gets annoying having to keep sending pictures for reference:

  • The separation that marks the bottom of the stomach and the start of the groin. Usually near the waistband of the pants. Not to be confused with an overhang: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
  • When the shadow of the belly button is visible through the shirt. I’ve always called it a “belly button depression” but that doesn’t sound like what it‘s supposed to mean: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
  • The horizontal line under the stomach (a stomach underline maybe?) usually right where the stomach/groin separation is: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
  • When the waistband of the pants is tucked over the stomach and the resulting crease is visible through clothes. Usually makes a “wave” shape: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
  • When the top of the stomach juts out in front of the chest, making a sort of front hump: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
  • The deep creases that outline each lower side of the stomach. I’ve heard some call them inguinal creases and others call them iliac lines, but not sure which one is more accurate: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
  • The long vertical lines on each side of the stomach’s center strip (where the abs would be if they had any): Imgur: The magic of the Internet
  • A more extreme version of the one above that makes the stomach almost look like it’s detaching from the torso. It becomes especially evident when bending down: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

so yeah, thanks to anyone out there who knows of any formal names for what I’m thinking of :slight_smile:


I have heard them called iliac lines. I believe it is also in the inguinal/iliac region, going by body topology (btw I find topology is a creative way to indicate you are exploring all a body’s nooks and crannies, more specific than shape). I think “iliac line” is a slightly less obtuse word to common readers than “inguinal,” although I think it’s always good to have the latter for flavor!

Call that the “contour of their belly button/navel through their shirt.” That way, it sounds exactly like what it’s supposed to mean. Unfortunately, there aren’t very many other descriptive and concise ways to say that (that I know of).

Hope that helps a bit :grin:


Yes! Thank you for that