AWS Migration this Weekend

Good day everyone!

We are going to be trying to migrate the forums onto AWS this weekend. I have been working hard over the last 3-4 weeks trying to make sure everything is tested and sorted, but I know from experience that in migrations like this you never know how it will work until you try to migrate prod.

We will be doing our best to try to minimize downtime, but expect the forums to be very unstable over the course of mainly Saturday and possibly Sunday as we work out any bugs and make the changes needed for us to migrate the forums.

Thank you all very much for your understanding and patience!

18 Likes

I’m usually very unstable too on Saturday and Sunday…

2 Likes

A quick update, after fussing with the deployment all of this weekend I think I have most of the issues sorted out. The health checks are now passing and I got the cluster and DBs secured down finally.

Unfortunately, the DNS now needs some time to flush and its not likely going to be ready before the end of the night. Along with that I dont know what additional issues may occur and I still need to double check some things that require the DNS to have the correct names in it. Due to that the migration will bleed a bit into this upcoming week.

We will do our best to keep everyone informed as the situation develops and thank you all again for your patience.

2 Likes

The migration looks to be complete. We switched over to the AWS servers this morning and there seems to have been little to no issues thus far. We have shutdown the old server but wont be fully deleting it until the end of this week incase something forces us to fall back to it.

I would like to thank you all for your patience with us through this process! Its very much appreciated!

I feel like the website is loading pages faster than before the server switch.

Yup, despite my terrible connection I did notice quicker responses.

The database and server are now in the same network region so i would not be surprised if the site seems a bit faster since the latency to the database will be much less than before

1 Like

It’s definitely faster for me. A little on my pc, and a lot on my mobile

I had to log in again, which was mildly frustrating due to how weird and uncooprerative the login system is for me, but I made it back in. I do wonder how many people didn’t though.

I know most of the time when we get complaints about not being able to login its because users forget they used a SSO sign in and instead try signing in with a local login.

If you want, feel free to DM me about your issue. I would love to hear more about it to see if we may be able to do something to rectify it.

2 Likes

Good day @AlteredMorganism

I am sorry to hear you are having issues. Usually if you are having a hard time logging in and cant get a password reset email its because you used a SSO method to login.

Ill DM you here and see if i can help you out