Banquet for the Undying Famine - A SMT inspired RPG (Anniversary Update!)

I was having HUGE FPS problems in the first build, and my computer isn’t that new. Though my money is, yes, it’s the rain effects.

2 Likes

I don’t usually post on this forum, but I had to after playing this game. The demo so far has been really fun, and I can really see the potential for this dungeon crawler to climb to be one of the best out there. Combat is simple but still fun, so it makes the gameplay streamline and easy, and I like the exploration aspect of this game. Can’t wait for more

1 Like

Wow! This was awesome to try out! I’m super looking forward to what comes next, it has a genuinely intriguing atmosphere to it. I especially adore the character designs! Super good <3

1 Like

I gotta say this game Is Awesome! i wasn’t exspecting the 3d but it’s very welcome
the art is very nice too! can’t wait for the full game!

2 Likes

Loving the heck out of this game, though question, once I get to the first actual boss, does the demo end there? I want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

2 Likes

The demo doesn’t end when you beat the boss, but there will be no other content past that point. I made this so people can beat the boss and keep playing to grind out levels or play with the weight levels if people want.

Thank you for enjoying the game!!!

1 Like

Really love the looks of the characters as well, very cute designs! If I ever could, would you like me to get art of one of your characters?

2 Likes

The next party member to join BftUF is Kebechet the mummy!

A militaristic commander with a short fuse and little patience for others, she commands the battlefield with the knowledge her fore-bearers have given her to give your team a tactical advantage with buffs and debuffs!

Look forward to more updates coming soon!

14 Likes

NEW BIG UPDATE!!!
if-itch-mummy

Changes

New character, Kebechet
    The commander, utilizing buffs and support skills to help the team
New floor, the valley
3 new enemies
New spells and abilities
Balance changes to skills, bosses, and enemies
New dialogue
New boss
Fixed dialogue
Fixed minor bugs such as certain enemies not having mana to cast spells

Link to update: UPDATE v0.3.2 - Banquet for the Undying Famine by Pvtz

11 Likes

tried out the new update and realized I have never properly reviewed this game

first off, lets get the sweet appetizer out of the way: art is wonderful and battle mechanics are pretty fair overall

second, onto the criticisms: the dungeon crawler experience is…less than ideal, the penalty for high weights is to be physically slower in this state but this is not a good penalty, especially with how enemy spawns work and the MASSIVE dead space around each floor meaning at a rate of 4 seconds to hop between tiles on my setup, if I am 50 tiles away from a red portal it means I as a player spend 3 minutes and 15 seconds chugging along

ideas to fix this: for the dungeon crawler part add traps, such as loose rock that will collapse and block shortcuts if you use them above a certain weight, or traps that trigger at certain weight points like how the pressure plate doors work and do proportional damage, ie one that triggers in the obese range will slap 75% of HP or something. In the battle stage, adding an AP cost increase would also be a decent penalty, meaning if attacking needs 1 AP, being at obese makes the action 2.5 AP meaning you have the pick and choose who gets to fight every turn since you wont have enough AP for all of them to constantly attack

otherwise I will continue to watch the development of this game with great interest and will try to get to the new content even though I’m stuck in a corner of the 3rd map after a gold slime chonked the girls up to max and it’s 210 tiles back to the red portal… :melting_face:

bug report: if you do multiple fat treatments without leaving the red portal you do not get any FP for any after the first, ie doing it with 2 of the girls will not give FP to the second one to use it

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the critique and feedback!

I heard a lot of requests for the weight to be reflected in the movement speed, which is why I added it, but I didn’t realize it was so slow in the grand scheme of things!

I tried to create a ““safe”” middle ground by only having the character in position 1 of the party determine the speed but knowing the spaghetti eventing I did, even if you swapped party members around, it wouldn’t update until the next “eat” command.

I’ll try and put out a hot fix asap cause in cases where both characters get very fat it shouldn’t be fair that you get “stuck” like that! (Though I’m sure for some they quite enjoy the idea of being stuck)

Moving forward I’ll try to find a balance of the player feeling the weight change in the girls without being detrimental to gameplay.

As for your suggestion on weight based traps those have been on my to-do list! I love the idea and I will likely experiment with those next big update!

Thanks for the bug report as well! I’ll see if I can hot fix it!

Thank you again for the feedback!

i played the update, it was very nice especially seeing the mummy art, i’d say it’s your best so far and makes me wish a tiny bit you’d redraw the other characters,

asides from that i can’t tell whether this was an oversight or not but you gave Kebechet two eat commands, the second one removing the ability to learn new skills along with the fact that red portals can’t remove her weight forcing her to stay at max weight.

if i could ask may you make it so that golden slimes can spawn in other area? i’m not sure if they can or not but i’ve only been consistently getting them in the first area, which is good for grinding fp and weight however it’s not ideal for Beatrice who would have to grind in the first area for weight slowly walk through the other areas to the final one where you can get trade her weight for fp. it might be alot to ask but could you add other golden enemies that serve the same purpose as the slime but be in only certain areas to encourage other grinding in other maps.

my final criticism is the speed, having queen be incredibly slow is good immersion for the weight she’s gained however this immersion breaks when trying to reach point a to point b to the point i’d rather be skinny to explore easier. a suggestion i could offer is something like a diet pill, something that could reduce your weight and give fp points like the red portal however it’s consumable and doesn’t give as much fp. speaking of which i learned on accident if you choose a Queen twice it will remove Beatrice’s weight as well without giving any fp :melting_face:

all in all however it’s still incredibly solid, i appreciate the dynamic between Queen, Beatrice, and, Kebechet, i hope to see more of them in the future
P.s could you buff protein shakes, they feel a much lackluster after beating a golden slime, cheers and happy birthday

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback and critique! I really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot for the bug reports and the comments about the speed, I will work on those!

The diet pill idea is great and I will look into seeing if I could do that!

As for redrawing the other characters, I have plans to do that! It won’t happen right away but I hope as my art improves with each new character I can eventually go back and improve on the older ones with all that I’ve learned! Thank you!

Thanks for playing my game and I will get around to fixes asap!

Pretty sure something in my game broke. I was getting near the teleporter for the 3rd area and it said “powerful undead ahead” or something to that effect, and then nothing. I go through, try to leave the gap and it acted like i had the new character in my party and had her talking to me, going into a fight showed i did not so I’m confused as to what happened. This is from a fresh save, and I made no detours other than saving after i got the message, i didn’t see anything ahead but if simply saving after the message broke my save, that would feel pretty bad.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! To help you better can you explain what’s going on exactly when you said

“I go through, try to leave the gap and it acted like i had the new character in my party and had her talking to me”

What dialogue are you seeing?

If you could provide any screenshots that would also be helpful!
Thank you!

I can’t go back and see the warning for what I assume was the fight to get her, it was triggered exactly where I saved, which I assumed was the point of the warning. But going onto the pad brings me to the next area and going to the gap that forces the dialogue shows this

but she’s not actually in my party. she talks to the Beatrice like they’ve spoken before and going into fights doesn’t have the mummy, so I assume something broke and her fight trigger wasn’t there for me, unless it’s later but then the part of her talking to me like she’s friendly doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

THANK YOUU!!!

I figured out what the problem was. The event wasn’t triggering because I set it up wrong.

If you hit the action button (Z or left click) while facing this tile (or maybe standing on it) I circled red it should give you the Mummy introduction proper with her boss fight and her being added to the party!

I will fix this and other issues in the hotfix but for right now you should be able to still trigger it (albeit trigger it in an unintentional way)

Thank you again! Stuff like this helps me a lot!

ah, ok. I went in, was confused, looked and walked around the whole little area on every tile but didn’t think to try clicking and just assumed I broke something.

1 Like

For the red portal, they also didn’t give the option to lower kebachet’s weight, and also the floor after meeting kebachet, there weren’t any rest stops until the demon boss dungeon.

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems now that all characters have their own separate FP wallets?
So any FP i generate for queen, I can’t use for beatrice for example

1 Like