Banquet for the Undying Famine - A SMT inspired RPG (Anniversary Update!)

i played the update, it was very nice especially seeing the mummy art, i’d say it’s your best so far and makes me wish a tiny bit you’d redraw the other characters,

asides from that i can’t tell whether this was an oversight or not but you gave Kebechet two eat commands, the second one removing the ability to learn new skills along with the fact that red portals can’t remove her weight forcing her to stay at max weight.

if i could ask may you make it so that golden slimes can spawn in other area? i’m not sure if they can or not but i’ve only been consistently getting them in the first area, which is good for grinding fp and weight however it’s not ideal for Beatrice who would have to grind in the first area for weight slowly walk through the other areas to the final one where you can get trade her weight for fp. it might be alot to ask but could you add other golden enemies that serve the same purpose as the slime but be in only certain areas to encourage other grinding in other maps.

my final criticism is the speed, having queen be incredibly slow is good immersion for the weight she’s gained however this immersion breaks when trying to reach point a to point b to the point i’d rather be skinny to explore easier. a suggestion i could offer is something like a diet pill, something that could reduce your weight and give fp points like the red portal however it’s consumable and doesn’t give as much fp. speaking of which i learned on accident if you choose a Queen twice it will remove Beatrice’s weight as well without giving any fp :melting_face:

all in all however it’s still incredibly solid, i appreciate the dynamic between Queen, Beatrice, and, Kebechet, i hope to see more of them in the future
P.s could you buff protein shakes, they feel a much lackluster after beating a golden slime, cheers and happy birthday

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback and critique! I really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot for the bug reports and the comments about the speed, I will work on those!

The diet pill idea is great and I will look into seeing if I could do that!

As for redrawing the other characters, I have plans to do that! It won’t happen right away but I hope as my art improves with each new character I can eventually go back and improve on the older ones with all that I’ve learned! Thank you!

Thanks for playing my game and I will get around to fixes asap!

Pretty sure something in my game broke. I was getting near the teleporter for the 3rd area and it said “powerful undead ahead” or something to that effect, and then nothing. I go through, try to leave the gap and it acted like i had the new character in my party and had her talking to me, going into a fight showed i did not so I’m confused as to what happened. This is from a fresh save, and I made no detours other than saving after i got the message, i didn’t see anything ahead but if simply saving after the message broke my save, that would feel pretty bad.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! To help you better can you explain what’s going on exactly when you said

“I go through, try to leave the gap and it acted like i had the new character in my party and had her talking to me”

What dialogue are you seeing?

If you could provide any screenshots that would also be helpful!
Thank you!

I can’t go back and see the warning for what I assume was the fight to get her, it was triggered exactly where I saved, which I assumed was the point of the warning. But going onto the pad brings me to the next area and going to the gap that forces the dialogue shows this

but she’s not actually in my party. she talks to the Beatrice like they’ve spoken before and going into fights doesn’t have the mummy, so I assume something broke and her fight trigger wasn’t there for me, unless it’s later but then the part of her talking to me like she’s friendly doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

THANK YOUU!!!

I figured out what the problem was. The event wasn’t triggering because I set it up wrong.

If you hit the action button (Z or left click) while facing this tile (or maybe standing on it) I circled red it should give you the Mummy introduction proper with her boss fight and her being added to the party!

I will fix this and other issues in the hotfix but for right now you should be able to still trigger it (albeit trigger it in an unintentional way)

Thank you again! Stuff like this helps me a lot!

ah, ok. I went in, was confused, looked and walked around the whole little area on every tile but didn’t think to try clicking and just assumed I broke something.

1 Like

For the red portal, they also didn’t give the option to lower kebachet’s weight, and also the floor after meeting kebachet, there weren’t any rest stops until the demon boss dungeon.

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems now that all characters have their own separate FP wallets?
So any FP i generate for queen, I can’t use for beatrice for example

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!
FP generation is separate for each character, this is 100% intentional. A general pool of FP might be worth looking into as an option. As for the red portal not giving a Kebechet option I’ll look into it and fix it asap! Thanks!

1 Like

Made a hotfix for the issues regarding the recent update!
Read the details here!

5 Likes

HALLOWEEN UPDATE

Changes

Added a new secret boss
Added new item (Candy)
Added a new enemy
Added stomping SFX for obesity
Added a generic NPC
Ton of new dialogue for NPCs and branching dialogue paths based on character weights
Added a burp on command button (R)
Every chest has been changed to a spooky Jack O’ Lantern
Fixed minor spelling errors

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

11 Likes

I LOVE games like this, SMT and EO are some of my favorite game series, so when I saw it in the topics i had to try it and found I actually had a lot to say about it lol, hopefully there’s something constructive in this for you

I really like the aesthetic and the art style is both fitting and pretty cute, I liked it a lot. The UI is good though I do think the press turn icons should be a little more clear at a glance what’s a half turn and what’s a whole turn, if not literally halving the icon then maybe a different color? In any case I always love first person battle views and this one looks good, though i do wish the text could be made a bit bigger in the options or something, especially if this game is made for phone compatibility as the use of the touchscreen rpgm layout suggests.

Speaking of options I would really love a control rebinding menu, I found it really irritating how the left and right arrow keys are unchangeably strafe instead of turn. Clearly the game is made with wasd controls in mind but it’d be nice to have more complete controls for the other side of the keyboard. If a rebinding menu isn’t possible, strafe and turn should probably be swapped from how they are, as turning is more crucial while strafe is mostly qol for quick movement.

Overall though I like how many options there are, having toggles for lighting effects and such is always great accessibility and I love to see it :3

As usual its always pretty impressive to see first person dungeons in rpgm games. As of writing I’m still on the first “floor” but the layout of it is decently designed, plenty of shortcuts and not too corridor-like, though it’d be a little easier to navigate if pits, water tiles, and other seemingly-uncrossable bits were colored differently from normal floor. Feels like I’d have a good mental map of it’s layout if the party moved a little slower, maybe always dash should be off by default? Dunno

The starting experience is a little rough. The intro is cool and there’s a short tutorial about the mechanics, but I did have to restart the initial battle once because the tutorial prompts default to “skip” and I wasn’t expecting it the first time around and skipped them. Once you’re in the dungeon though it gets a little sketchy, the only place to really Go is the encounter with beatrice, which I found difficult because i didnt realize I was supposed to burn through my healing items to outlast the battle. It’s not a bad thing exactly, but it was initially a little frustrating. Not exactly sure how you would rectify that other than reminding players about the item command during the fight lol, which is a little heavy handed.

My final note about the intro is that there should probably be some mention that you have to go to the skills menu to spend your FP, I initially expected it to be related to the portals and was trying to make it teach me skills :sweat_smile:

Battles themselves are fun, I liked that enemies names would turn yellow when i could safely eat them, though i didnt notice at first, and once you’ve got to like lv3 you can use the skill decently often and it adds a fun dynamic, kinda like pokemon catching. It is a little confusing to have beatrice learn 3 skills that all have the same visible stats in the learn menu, all have the same learn cost, and all have the same description, maybe make the tier 2 and 3 versions more expensive or add a rough power ranking/mp cost to the visible stats in the learn dialogue?

All in all I have been enjoying so far and will play further but wanted to write down some thoughts in case I forgot, hopefully nothing came off too harsh because overall its a good project!! The only thing here which I think is more important than like, ‘nitpick’ tier is the turn/strafe swap, that’s actually rather cumbersome.

Looking forward to where this goes :3

2 Likes

ermm i think shin megami tensei is pretty flipping awesome and uhhh this is pretty cool teehee

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback and I’m glad you tried my game!

I will for sure look into rebinding options and making the map more readable with more colors and icons.

Your thoughts on the intro and initial Beatrice fight is helpful, and things like explaining the skill learning is done via the menu is important so I can guide new players in the right directions. I will for sure make the descriptions/stats visible/different, and do more icons and such to make the skills feel more distinct, especially when moving toward character special moves.

I appreciate you mentioning details like clarity of press turn icons and other smaller issues which I will for sure change, feedback is always appreciated.

I can’t promise all of these ideas will be implemented right away but I will work to ensure I am adding new features will patching up and fixing important stuff as I keep moving forward.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hey, I’m really glad it was helpful, I was worried it would come off as too harsh when I actually quite liked the project where it’s at already, and yeah certainly no rush on Fixing Every Little Thing, I get the game dev stuff is HARD :sweat_smile: thanks for reading my thoughts though, and good luck with continued progress :3

1 Like

How fat can the characters get so far and how fat do you plan on them getting?

1 Like

There are six portraits for each character, going from thin to large. I will stick to these 6 stages but as I improve my art I will probably go back and change some of the art. I usually like characters on the verge of immobility so that’s the final stage I would like to aim for each character.

10 Likes

cool game, nice job :3

2 Likes

Just curious, is obese the largest the characters can get at the moment? I’m tempted to keep grinding if there is something beyond that, but if obese is the biggest they get then I’ll just reset their stats

4 Likes