Blombo’s PalanQuest

Okay, I’m a dunce, clearly… because I didn’t know til now you could move the paln with WASD… I was just yeeting the prince around to everywhere.

2 Likes

final devlog; new enemies, reworked shield guy, buncha other shit

2 Likes

“Yeeting the prince” made me completely lose it. I’m dying rn. :rofl:

5 Likes

One of the most addicting games of the jam I’ve played so far. Nails that hectic arcadey feel of barely holding on as you rush around trying to get enough to survive the next screen while not dying on the current one. I also like how getting more dudes not only scales your power by… having more dudes, but you also can afford to send more guys out at a time while still moving. The art’s great, the sound is great, just a solid game all around.

4 Likes

Some fantastic, hectic arcade fun! An ending would be nice, but as it stands it’s pretty dang enjoyable.

An idea could be to have different “formations” unlocked over time, which the player could program a set sequence of minions to deploy. From there you can toggle between different formation sequences if you want to send out a flurry of axe minions or a gang of worker/runner minions. It needn’t be too complicated in that you don’t need to program specific minions, just the minion types/icons will do.

I also love the idea of using the prince as a weapon once he’s big enough to be hurled at to flatten enemies!

4 Likes

This is a pretty fun game! Although once you get big enough and have so many palanquin bearers, at the upgrade screen you can’t even see all of them.

Also I recognize there are the regular guys, the rabbit guys that are faster, but I couldn’t really tell the difference between the guys with the axes and the guys with a rock. What do they do?

1 Like

here’s a tip i found for y’all: use the scroll wheel to cycle through all currently idle minions, and then you can choose a specific one to do a certain task!

2 Likes

ideally i would have time to perhaps allow the sell screen to scroll, or simply cap the amount of units you can sell onscreen per shop
as to explain the units, the green guys with a hammer attack slow and deal a ton of damage, the axe guys attack fast and inflict more damage than average, and the purple guys with a bone for a head knockback enemies in a radius

3 Likes

Really nice game! Graphics kinda remind me of Moon

2 Likes

adore this! i really really hope this get works on after the jam, blombo is so CUTE and id love to see him HUGE

1 Like

Well I managed to get the entire minion bar off screen so I figure I’ve played enough to put in my two cents. This game is easily very high on my list of favorite games this Jam. The art, sound, and general atmosphere work beautifully to create this odd otherworldly experience of a little cat-looking slime dude ordering people around as he’s brought from point a to point b while the ever encroaching Nighttime beckons like some eldritch force behind. It just works. And it’s fun. And the difficult increases in such a beautiful way that late game runs feel like you’re surviving by the edge of your teeth. And it’s fun and it works.

It’s hard to say what else could be added to make this better past a couple QoL things and More. But it all works and it’s fun and have I said that already? Excellent job.

3 Likes

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I’ve had a similar idea for some time now and it’s nice to see another approach to this

I really enjoyed the knockback guys, since they offer protection but it also being disadvantageous to kill enemies far away from you makes for a nice dynamic.

the bunnies felt like wasted potential to me. because they are basically useless at everything other than garbing things it’s not worth sending them to do anything else (unless I’m missing something). but because you have to fiddle around with what guy you are sending out to fetch the thing you waste more time than you save by deliberately selecting a bunny to fetch something. because of that I never used them, if you could bind a button to send out x type of guy, instead of basing it on order, would help a lot with that.

the other minions felt alright just a bit standard compared to those two. I would have liked to see them be more distinct rather than “standard but does more damage”.

throwing the player felt useless. most of the time when I felt I would need it was when I didn’t have enough minions to send out to defend be, so I didn’t really have the minions needed to be thrown. another problem is that you don’t get very far away from danger doing so. it would need something to make it worth while if it is more range, letting you go over stuff (like mentioned previously) or reworked to be more of an offensive option rather than defensive one, I don’t really know.

it would be nice to see this game more fleshed out

3 Likes

First Round Scores

Jux Score

Category Total
Game Runs: 50.0
Use of Theme: 50.0
Art: 7.55
Writing: 5.8
Music & Sound: 8.7
Mechanics: 8.7
Game Concept 9.3
Use of Fetish 6.95
Judge Preference: 8.0
Wild Cards Attempted: 3.0
Admin Wild Card: 2.0
Patreon Wild Card: 3.0
Community Wild Card: 4.5
Total: 167.5

Alex Score

Category Total
Art: 9.0
Writing: 7.0
Music & Sound: 9.0
Mechanics: 9.0
Game Concept 9.0
Use of Fetish 6.0
Judge Preference: 8.0
Wild Cards Attempted: 2.0
Admin Wild Card: 0.0
Community Wild Card: 5.0
Total: 167.0

Roops Score

Category Total
Art: 8.0
Writing: 5.0
Music & Sound: 8.0
Mechanics: 9.0
Game Concept 9.0
Use of Fetish 6.0
Judge Preference: 10.0
Wild Cards Attempted: 2.0
Admin Wild Card: 0.0
Community Wild Card: 5.0
Total: 165.0

Final Score: 499.5

1 Like

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 200.0
Art: 31.0
Writing: 14.0
Sound: 19.0
Concept/Design 122.0
Msc: 17.0
Admin Card Attempted: 0.0
Admin Card Score: 0.0
Patreon Card Attempted 5.0
Patreon Card Score 5.0
Community Card Attempted 5.0
Community Card Score 18.0
Total: 436.0

Comments:

A very fun pikmin like game with a tight but compelling game loop. The encroaching night adds some nice time pressure, which when combined with the well-balanced difficulty curve led to some intense situations without the game ever feeling really overwhelming.

The music I found very enjoyable to listen to and fit the game quite well, though I think the general sound effects could have used more oomph to them. I do really like the command sound effect though as it never got annoying during my play time; though would have liked to seen a unique one for sending and recalling your troops just for the added feedback.

The two enemy types had very well-defined silhouettes making them easy to identify at a glance though it was hard to pick out the stronger ones at times due to the fact the stronger types where only differentiated by a darker shading on them. The units you command would have been nice if they had a more diverse silhouette from each other. Over all it was not bad but there are a few where they are so similar in look it became hard to tell who was who at a glance especially when they blobbed up.

The controls also felt really tight and you could really feel the weight of Blompo once you sent out enough of your units making it really easy to judge how many you need to keep around to keep up your ability to move. I would have liked to have seen some of the fetish elements play a bit more of a role, both visually and mechanically, in the game instead of just a simple level up system and reducing movement speed. For example, when I learned you could throw the palanquin, I thought how cool it would have been if depending on Blompo’s size if it caused some sort of AoE damage when he landed. This could have led to some intresting high risk high reward play instead of it just acting as an “oh shit” button to get out of a hard place.

Overall though the game is very solid, and the only major issues I would say are around its UX. It would have been nice to know what units did what with some sort of description in the store so I could have used them more effectively. I would also suggest selecting units by type instead of individually as this will allow for better control when under pressure. I would have also liked to see the roguelike elements developed out a bit more.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game and feel it has quite a bit of promise that can be built on top of further!

Kilif Score

Category Total
Basics: 200.0
Art: 29.0
Writing: 14.0
Sound: 24.0
Concept/Design 124.0
Msc: 15.0
Admin Card Attempted: 0.0
Admin Card Score: 0.0
Patreon Card Attempted 5.0
Patreon Card Score 5.0
Community Card Attempted 5.0
Community Card Score 20.0
Total: 441.0

Comments:

This is great. As per usual, you deliver an excellent arcade-like experience with addictive game play. My only real complaint is that sometimes the enemies would blend in with my minions and make me take hits I could have otherwise avoided. Otherwise, this is a great use of the theme and the minions wild card.

Scores

Art: 60.0

Writing: 28.0

Sound: 43.0

Design: 246.0

Total: 877.0

1 Like

I love this game! But I was only able to get to the size 2. Is there any more sizes up or is there only 2?

1 Like

sadly didnt have time to draw more weight stages during the jam, i’ve been tempted to revisit the game for at the very least a web/newgrounds release with some content that was axed for time

3 Likes

please do!! its of such high quality that id be willing to spend money on it

1 Like

also whats your newgrounds account?

1 Like

i presently have https://ploomutoo.newgrounds.com/ but haven’t presently uploaded any games, ive been looking into HTML5 exporting

1 Like