Butterball Buffet: A Twine game that really shouldn't be a Twine game

Strange…the only thing that triggers at or past 100s is that patrons will stop spawning. Patrons that have already spawned shouldn’t stop operating after 100s…still, thank you for the lead. It’s the only one I’ve got.

I’ll see if I can figure out what it is and fix it, though it’s a shame that the devs are going to have to play the broken version. I guess I’ll add a disclaimer not to seat patrons past 100s.

Thank you so much!! <3

1 Like

Major kudos for putting my Twine game to shame (you can do graphics in Twine? Fuck me!) and it’s a very fun concept. That being said, my main critique is there isn’t enough time (or hands!) to make other recipes and I end up just going full Applebee’s and making a bunch of frozen food instead. Maybe (if future developments are planned) simplifying or making it easier to create recipes would be a good update?

2 Likes

actually upon testing my speculation that it happen after placing a patron in after 100s is inaccurate.
my apology

3 Likes

No problem! At least it got me looking, haha

1 Like

Heyyy no worries! I’ve played your games and they’re a huge inspiration to me :] graphics aren’t too hard, either! It’s just clever manipulation of HTML elements. If you want to get started, I’d highly recommend looking into CSS and watching the “Twine Sugarcube Garden Tutorial” (too lazy to look up the actual vid right now ahah) on YouTube.
Unfortunately yeah, time has been a persistent issue across the entire development period of BBBF. I wanted to keep the game short out of fear that systems would break or the player would grow bored. I originally had 5 minute days and really low spawn chances, but was worried that having a 30 minute long game would get boring really quickly, so wanted to strive for a short but sweet experience :]
If I ever end up remaking BBBF to get used to something like Godot, I’ll definitely take that into consideration! Tysm <3

2 Likes

Aw shucks you don’t have to make false compliments just to be modest! Joking aside, I appreciate the recommendation! I added some extra elements of Hawthorne to my GainJam game, but obviously things like Sugarcube can offer a lot of options I didn’t realize it could. There is definitely a lot of potential for you to come back to this if you wanted to translateit to a different language (hell, I’m considering trying mine in Ren’py). Either way, I look forward to future projects from you!

2 Likes

Tysm! And don’t worry, I’m not one to lie! If your work wasn’t what inspired me to join the Jam, I wouldn’t’ve said so! :smiley:

2 Likes

I probably became addicted to this game for a little while. The game looks great and is entertaining even if it is a little unpolished.

I wish there was a prep time, like 10-20 seconds before the 100 seconds loop to fill the buffet before customers start arriving. I think that would would help make the game less frantic with minimal change.

I also believe the pasta and chili takes too long, so I just serve cake instead.

3 Likes

Oh wow, great job! Fun fact, the score requirement for the good ending used to be 1000, but I ended up having to drop it to 400, haha!
I did my best to polish, but I only really had the last few days to do so, since I quickly got overwhelmed by other things that started happening :[
There is a 10 second prep time before patrons start appearing (or, at least, there should be), but you’re right, something like that would’ve been much better! Maybe if I remake BBBF in Godot I can do that :smiley:
And yeah, balancing the recipes was pretty difficult. Cake is pretty much the meta due to how easy and OP it is. In the future I might make a more Papa’s Pizzeria-style cooking system where it’s all interconnected and easier to use :]
Thank you so much for your insight! And I’m so glad you liked it, I’m genuinely surprised to see someone saying they got ‘addicted’ to it ahah, makes me feel a little better after all this “your game is buggy and there’s no real way to fix it apparnetly”

2 Likes

Ah. I’ve discovered the main reason the ‘patron eating bug’ has been occurring. And it’s pretty damn big.
So, after I released the patch that removed patron double-eating, I didn’t actually playtest it myself because at that point I had gotten pretty tired of playing BBBF. I just gave it a quick playthrough tonight, to record some footage, and realized that the system that despawns the patrons is broken.

Here’s the deal:
The same patron isn’t supposed to spawn multiple times.
Nobody playing this game knew that, and I was too afraid to playtest it myself, so I never figured out what the issue was.

It should be a relatively simple fix, but the issue with that is, the jam is long over. I’m a little upset that such a simple yet devastating bug is the reason that our game is practically unplayable. I had high hopes for this jam, but seeing this after all the work I had previously put in is honestly pretty upsetting.

Oh well, I guess I learned a pretty valuable lesson: even if you’re tired of your own game, always always always playtest.

I’ll release a patch soon if I can. I’ll post the link in a separate comment, and also replace the current version on Itch.io (so, note to judges: download the drive link)

4 Likes

Ughhhh I really hate to say this, but the issue runs deeper than I thought. I don’t think I’m going to be able to fix this, at least with the energy I have left. Setting up tens of console outputs just so I could try to pinpoint where the issue is–which might not even work–doesn’t sound like my cup of tea right now. Terribly sorry for keeping you all waiting.
If it’s any consolation, I hope to remake this game in Godot so that I can get a hang of the program, which’ll hopefully run a lot better :] I’ll also be reuploading the version of the game that has the double-eating system intact. It’s an older version so it might have a few more bugs like music continuing to play when it shouldn’t and stuff, but if you mute your game it’ll hopefully be more playable.
I also have plans for a couple more Twine games, which are more linear and don’t rely on systems as complex as this game (that is, spawning and despawning enemies and stuff). One is a turn-based tactical RPG, and the other is a pretty straightforward text adventure (pretty much Corruption of Champtions to a T). I hope to see you all there :]

Old ver. of Butterball Buffet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mi71DM_E4Hgil-RTQsKOQmR45wws1ord/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

First Round Scores

Jux Score

Category Total
Game Runs: 500
Use of Theme: 500
Art: 75
Writing: 50
Music & Sound: 62
Mechanics: 85
Game Concept 82
Use of Fetish 75
Judge Preference: 55
Total: 1484

Grimimic Score

Category Total
Art: 65
Writing: 70
Music & Sound: 80
Mechanics: 65
Game Concept 80
Use of Fetish 65
Judge Preference: 75
Total: 1500

Squirrel Score

Category Total
Art: 65
Writing: 50
Music & Sound: 65
Mechanics: 65
Game Concept 70
Use of Fetish 80
Judge Preference: 60
Total: 1455

Final Score: 4439

3 Likes

I’m updating my highscore. That’s it.

4 Likes

Wow! Again, it astonishes me that some people actually like this thing I cobbled together, ahah. Great job!! I hope you enjoy the Godot remake if/when it comes out some day :smiley:

2 Likes