Chub, Chomp, Chill (Version 1.1 Out Now!)

Hi again

So, uh… you might think that I’m playing the game wrong, and to that I say you’re probably most likely absolutely right, but I think my fridge that currently contains 223,443 items is starting to make the game (or my computer, I don’t have an SSD) noticeably slower.
When I click to enter a room, the loading screen with the spinning donut freezes for 6 seconds and then the game freezes in the first frame inside the room for another full 25 seconds. I wasn’t sure if it was always like that so I tried loading a fresh new save and was shocked to see that it’s nearly instant to load.

I find this really funny for some reason. I wonder at what point my computer will just give up entirely or if that can happen at all

Is hidding stuff here all the time suspicious in any way? I just don't want to take too much space. This is just ideas again

Just to throw out ideas here, how much of a possibility would it be to have a lil character of our own to control and visit our tenants and walk around and stare up at the massive creature that once was an anime character reference, asking ourselves “what have I done” and then immediately think “totally worth it”?
Bring the “apartment god/landlord” back to the material world, if you will.

I know that that is a little farfetched, because collision, player movement, mobile port, etc etc, all the things that come with letting the player control a character in 3D space, BUT the essence in this idea is more of a free cam than anything else.

As I said, i kinda miss the ability to “look up” from the perspective a normal height tenant would have and otherwise just play with perspectives to get that sense of scale. That would be fun, I think. Imagine walking in some kind of catwalk close to the ceiling of the warehouse with the view of a bouncy ocean below. Or imagine standing really close to them at ground level in the 3rd area.

I was also thinking of making the tenant collidable so they don’t phase through each other but it’s possible to have them occupy the entire room so… that wouldn’t work out. I’m not yet willing to sacrifice bursting out of the room’s walls for that. So many problems that come up.

I also want to personally apologize to Scribbles for thrashing the game’s camera so much. I really don’t mean to.

And for furniture just a little bed in the corner is more than enough to me, doesnt even need collision

2 Likes

It is indeed coming soon.
Sorry I haven’t been here in a bit. I’ve been busy with everything.
The blurb form is open again now, if you’re interested. Gonna need hundreds of em, so don’t hold back!

23 Likes

I submitted some, be sure to tell us if there are any other specific blurbs you are running low on.

I’m on my way to work at the moment, but I’ll see if I can’t come up with any in a bit. Seems like fun.

2 Likes

Any chance we’ll ever see a version for OS X? Or is it completely off the table?

1 Like

I don’t own any Mac devices to test it on. So it’s probably off the table. Unless someone wants to give me the money to buy an iMac, haha.

3 Likes

I’m really hoping we get more hairstyles relating to inklings and octolings, as well as the Inkling face mask-thing that connects the eyes as an accessory.

2 Likes

I had a lot of fun with 0.4! The improved arm buffs and jiggle physics look great, and I’m sure my index finger will be grateful in the future for the max serve button! I also prefer the new speech bubbles feature to the old conversation trees. I was worried they’d get in the way, but there’s some fun lines in there. The dialogue submission form works great too.

A few questions, suggestions and observations:

Troubleshooting

Is there a way of backing up older saves? My 3.1 save loaded at default and I didn’t have the heart to delete it. I’ve remade my characters in different apartment rooms and haven’t touched the older ones in case of corruption, but if there’s a safer way of archiving them or getting new releases not to read incompatible saves, I’d feel more comfortable. I know discussion on save files has been a controversial topic in the past, but I’m only interested in preserving them, not editing them.

Glitches

There is no music in the closet. I’m guessing it’s a glitch, because whenever I hit the back button, the character creation music plays for a single note before returning to the apartment room.

Changing the house design replaces the wallpaper for the entire apartment complex, rather than per room. I’m not sure this is a glitch, but different wallpapers per room that match each character’s personality would be nice, all the same.

Suggestions for future features

I’ve made some mistakes in the character creator that can’t be undone in the closet and are pretty easy slipups to make. It wouldn’t make much sense to be able to change your facial features etc in a wardrobe, so maybe a feature for making more drastic changes to your characters could be integrated similarly to the clinic, where you have to pay happiness points for “facial surgery”?

The apartment design might look better with a door on one of the walls, as I always think about how there is no way for anyone to leave their appartment room when they move in (even if they’d quickly outgrow that door ;))

I’d love for there to be more ways to interact with your characters other than feeding them. Mini games or some sort of furniture interaction come to mind, but the return of the belly rub mechanic from the older versions would be amazing, especially if it incorporated the jiggle physics!

I had a dream once where there was an ability to inflate characters with a pump in order to get rounder shapes, but that’s probably super wishful thinking on my part and I totally get if this game sticks to weight gain expansion only.

Cosmetics wise, I’d love to see elf ears, facial hair decals and the return of the long lost wobbly/kitty mouth… but I know that’s not for me to decide😉

3 Likes

would you be adding anything to make these guys have some furry attributes like a different head shape?

6 Likes

Something I noticed during the blob stage is that different head proportions don’t scale well. The default head scale looks alright, but I liked to keep my characters’ heads at 50%. This causes the head to sink completely inside, and making the head bigger makes it stick out like a giraffe’s neck. I doubt this is intended behavior, but it doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult to fix.

The arms in general could use an overhaul too. The animations don’t look right once the character gets too big. I don’t know exactly how the animations work for the arms, but I’m guessing the character rig stays mostly the same, and growing too big pushes the arm model away from the rig somehow? I can’t really think of any other reason the motion would look so strange.

I’m also not really a fan of the way the store works right now. Having to wait until RNG decides I can buy whales again isn’t really fun. I’d like to suggest a change where all food items are always available, but the amounts stay randomized each day like they are now. You could also have a selection of 9 foods go on discount every day to encourage the player to buy those, in a similar way to what the current system does.

6 Likes

i have an idea i will message u the idea if you want this to be public if that okay

1 Like

I wanted to look at the twitter account to see if there were any updates and I discovered that the page is now “protected” and I would need to follow in order to read it. Did something happen recently?

2 Likes

i love the game but i am sadden that there is no maidoutfit or sexybunny suit

4 Likes

The guy characters i can make ,although pretty limited, can be very cute!

In the next version i don’t suggest much, but i wish for a broad shoulder slider /buff , or a (stylized) muscle slider/buff for the “guy” characters that matches with the current aesthetic of the game, since i love it so much!! would love to make a muscle guy with a potbelly.

Thank you for the amazing game!!

2 Likes

Version 0.5 of Chub Chomp Chill is very close!

New Scribbles Showcase coming November 17 on YouTube showing off new features and announcing the release date! https://www.youtube.com/@solitaryscribbles

Lots of hard work has gone into this update. I really hope you all like what’s to come! And thanks a bunch for your patience. I know I tend to be gone for extended periods of time without even as much as hinting at what’s coming. But I’m just an apprehensive developer I suppose. I get really weary being vocal about upcoming features until I’m positive that it can actually be pulled off, so I don’t end up getting people’s hopes up. Self included.

Though I can say with confidence that this is going to be a really rad update and a whole bunch of new stuff is being added! So I really hope you all will enjoy when everything is revealed!

27 Likes

is there a sexybunny suit or maidoutfit?

2 Likes

Guess we’ll have to wait and see!

16 Likes

(Also I was wondering, how would one go about getting put into Curated Projects?)

3 Likes

This post should shed some light on curated topics.

Looking forward to the next version! I have a lot of fun playing this for a while every new build.

3 Likes