Chub Quest!

I think I know the answer to this one, the in-between floor effects that reduce your belly cap by an amount will actually drain your HP if your belly has less than the amount that those effects drain.
So if you had 20/100 belly cap and you used an effect that removes 25% belly cap, you’d go to 0 belly cap but the remaining 5 points would drain from your health instead.
This drain effect takes place after HP changes which is why you might loose some of the HP you would have already gained.

2 Likes

This is true! And I will fix it, thanks!

1 Like

Thank you soooo much for your feedback comment, As I always do, I will try to fix and improve all players say and report, plus the next surprises I am adding for the next updates ;3

1 Like

This game has received a free update just now! Go check the changelog and download links here! Chub Ques v0.6 DevLog - Chub Quest by Ziul Walls

1 Like

First dungeon, first floor, first move …

2 Likes

omg really XD!?!?!?!!?

1 Like

I got to the end of the forest dungeon with Pol and got this error message when I wanted to look at the character unlocks

It still counted my clear with poi but I didn’t unlock seiko dispite pol having brave.

Update, did it with Tammy and I unlocked Seiko, no crashing this time.

############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_init:

Unable to find instance for object index 56
at gml_Object_obj_init_Step_0
############################################################################################
gml_Object_obj_init_Step_0 (line -1)

1 Like

Altough you have made some improvements with the possibility of swimming and breaking blocks, i still see some problems with them, i wouldnt say for you to remove them since they allow a cool way to generate maps but maybe make some kind of passive where if you start a level or are teleported you always break the blocks around you, just like if you catch a treasure that are surprise enemies, they replace the other tiles. Also got the same error while using Pol as well, since he was a brave character and seemed the best one because of the skill.

Update: the error seems to be with clearing with Pol as i cleared with 2 other characters and didnt get the error, was able to unlock the 2 new characters as well now

Ok I got a bit more time in the new update here’s some feedback for ye.

• I feel very so-so about the new water tiles, they mostly act as another type of wall that only has one real way to get around that which is a skill that is found next to one of the two skill that exist to circumvent to already existing walls, it just kinda feels unnecessary. You could change so that everyone can cross water but it take a lot of stamina, however the fatter you get the less stamina it takes for you to traverse it, and you could have the swimming skill cut the stamina drain by half rounded up while swimming. This would give high weights some more use cases and it would still be balanced because the longer you are swimming, the more weight you loose and it starts taxing your stamina.

• If you get two level ups from the study event and you pick the trait for the level, the second level up gets invalidated.

• There’s a bug with the wealthy skill where if you equip it, you gain 30 coins every tick instead of every floor, so you will just gains coins until you get rid of the skill or you game crashes.

• The new dodge skill kinda invalidates any benefit that thicc protection has by just preventing damage most of the time with no downside attached. You could change it to 50% chance to dodge regular enemies and 20% to dodge bosses so it’s still good but doesn’t invalidate thicc protection(or tammy’s on guard).

• The dark holes still are able to soft lock your game, while I get wanting to keep these events random, they should not be able to soft lock the player. You should have them send the player to the same areas they’re allowed to be spawned onto the map, where they have access to the door and the boss with the key.

• The bigger maps are kind of an indirect nerf to all the low stamina characters, Pi for example can barely cross the map and might still need to back the other way, and as by cannot get any traversal skills, he’s just out of luck in these positions. I don’t particularly have a good idea as to how to fix this, you could give low stamina characters skills that help with traversal but I don’t know if that would help.

• The big burp skill won’t save you if you eat to your capacity, it will reduce the amount to 60% as it says but you will still game over anyway. I can’t tell if this is intentional or not but it makes this skill a lot less useful.

• Lastly the new forest dungeon I feel kind of unsure about of because there’s little reason to go back and retry it after you unlock Nero and Sekio. You could make it that whenever you clear a dungeon with that character, it gives you a buff that is unique to that dungeon for that character (like the forest dungeon gives you 5 stamina every time you step on a event spot for example.) so if you want to give a boost to a character you like playing you have to clear that dungeon with that character.

• Even then that doesn’t help with the fact that the dungeons are the same every single time apart from some minor randomization, I’d keep the same general layout of dungeons, but maybe shift some thing around a bit, like the locations of event spots and enemies, what boss has the key etc, just a bit more so that going through them again doesn’t feel like a check list.

4 Likes

Another update for this game is up now! I hope you enjoy it, and continue giving me those comments, that really helps me to know what should I do for the next update ~

2 Likes

Sorry that this is a couple of days overdue but here’s some feedback and some bugs I found:

• While I do like that the AI art has been replaced for all the enemies, the new art looks…off? I think part of this might be coming from the fact that I might be too used to the old art, but something about the art style doesn’t really fit with the rest of the tiles, mainly the ones used for food and drink. While they look closer to the player’s icon they also look a lot more drab by comparison and don’t quite “pop” as much as a bunch of angry, cutesy food monsters probably should. Also boss monster lack the more dramatic posses and details so if not for the different numbers above them and their black background they would be impossible to tell apart from the regular enemies.

Icons

This might just be me but that pizza monster doesn’t look very “boss like” next to the regular enemies.
I think that these the new monster need a bit more color so they look less off and boss monster need something extra to their designs.

• The new Sugar Overdose skill is broken and doesn’t round up correctly, nor does it increase the weight for eating food items. With about 12% belly capacity you can move with no stamina cost consistently, also it feels a bit weird that its a Energetic skill so a lot of the characters that would benefit from it; Pi, Gabriel, and Luck for example, can’t use it unless they get very luck with a starting skill reroll, despite how useful it would be on them. It also breaks Scott’s skill card, stopping him from gaining the extra weight when he has overdoese equipped.

• Good Digestion also cannot save you from getting overweight despite seeming like it should save you, just like big burp. I’m assuming this is intentional, but it would be nice if there was some text letting you know that it cannot save you if you hit max weight when these skill trigger.

• You can still get soft locked by dark holes, pls fix. Also on a similar note the Dark Hole explorer skill while it is fine, it can also screw you over if you get a dark hole event while you are trying to get to a key, you could give the option to either take you to the door or go for a random location (that can’t soft lock you) when you have that skill. I feel that the downside to using this skill feels a bit too extreme compared to non bugged sugar overdose so that would help it not feel too much like a double edged sword.

• Sekio got locked again and only her so I had to unlock her, again.

• While I do like that you only gain a refill to stats when you improve a stat on level up, it forces a lot of characters to put points into stamina so they don’t run out and it makes picking new skills not worth it unless you’re in a near perfect condition, maybe picking a new skill can restore 10 or 15% into all your stats so it doesn’t feel like a waste of a level up if you are so-so on all three or so you can risk it a bit and not feel completely left out of the benefits of a level up if you wanna pick a skill that might not be available when you select that option.

• Skills can’t stack but you can still pick multiple of the same skill, which feels odd that’s even an option you can pick, you could either make it so when you pick a new skill, you cannot get a duplicate, or if a duplicate appears, you instead get a something, like an option that restore some of your stats but grants no new skill.

• The new custom character is really nice I’d like to see the option to either use other character’s skill cards or maybe even the option to make your own in the future when this gets fleshed out more.

• There are some other balancing foibles, like Jack’s Formality being a better version of Tammy’s on guard on a character who doesn’t need it as much due to his higher heath pool. Gabe’s huge power is also just straight up better that Pi’s overeating on top of careful being better than auspicious and Gabe having a better stat spread. Dodge still being the best survival skill in the game bar none and currently energetic is by far the best trait out of the bunch.

• I still think that there needs to be some other gimmick to help differentiate water and walls other than one having 3 skills to deal with it and only one for the other. Currently they are effectively the same obstacle with two different graphics, so some other feature to help differentiate the two would be very appreciated.

• The pop up window for picking a dungeon feels unnecessary, you could have the price of entering the dungeon displayed under the button and just deduct the diamonds when you begin a dungeon proper. That way you still communicate the cost of entering one and remove a redundant window.

• Stores can appear but can sometimes either have useless items or duplicates of an item that has no benefit to buying multiple copies of. This is a indirect nerf to auspicious because that personality trait doesn’t really do anything well outside of getting money, and you can only use money to buy things from shops you can spend it, you can use it to deal with enemies or obstacles unless you come across a shop that may or may not sell items that can actually help you in your current pradiciment. I’d add in a reroll function that costs pawcoins during shops so you don’t end up with wasted shops and so auspicious can use their stockpiles of money better.

• Diamonds don’t really do anything apart from letting you access the forest dungeon, which makes the diamond hunter skill feel not really worth it as diamonds are effectively worthless when you get both characters. There should be some additional thing to use diamonds because without new dungeons they are just worthless, either as a currency to give you boosts to future runs or as a means of more directly unlocking future content.

• One last thing, I think there is a problem with how progression through dungeons works, mainly because the floor cards are so powerful, there’s only so much stamina you can risk and because apart from getting money, which isn’t always useful to get, there isn’t really a reason to stick around on a floor once you kill the boss with the key. There should be some other items or equipment or some other boons you can find in the dungeons that help you either in the short term or in the long term that give players a reason to try and explore the floors a bit more and not just do a smash and grab for the keys over and over again.

Good luck with development Ziul

1 Like

Next update for everyone of Chub Quest is here! Now with a lot of changes and additions! To read the full changelog and download the game, follow this link:

4 Likes

I’ve searched the whole Forest dungeon and can’t find the dog.

Try using a character who can swim (dont remember exactly which trait has it, i thiiink its either purple or red)

anyways this update is nice, game keeps getting better in my opinion ^w^ I think the balancing is improved, I seem to be losing of more varied causes than always running out of stamina or getting teleported behind a wall. Also the new graphics look good!! (though just as a note the cost confirmation screen for the dungeons still uses the old diamond sprite)

1 Like

Thanks. I got it now.

1 Like

My best run so far, I could’ve kept going but i was getting bored and there’s no save and quit feature. Luck is definitely the most overpowered character, the high chance of getting a card that allows him to walk infinitely with no downside is way stronger than anyone else, since stamina is still the main limiting factor. If I were to suggest a revision, I feel like walking during his personal card’s effect shouldnt make him lose weight. I mean, he’s being carried by the little guy, so it makes sense in that way, and itd make it a lot harder to take the card multiple times in a row.

Also, observation is basically a must have at higher levels, its just not possible for any other character to fight most of the bosses on a floor and not run out of stamina. I feel like fighting a non key holding boss should at least give you like a 1/3rd of a key, so at least you dont have to fight EVERY guy if you dont have access to observation.

I like the addition of achievements to unlock the characters but keeping the gems to enter the fixed dungeon still feels grindy. It’s not too bad but i feel like maybe the prices should be reduced a bit for a dungeon thats kinda difficult and need to be won with five seperate characters.

In any case thats just my thoughts after quite a bit of play, but don’t misunderstand, i still enjoy the game a lot and find it quite cute and cleverly designed, so my critique is just wanting to see the game continue to improve. <3