Cicada Springs (v0.7.0.1 / Public Demo Available)

I’m sorry to hear about the diagnosis, that must be really hard for you and those around you. Please do not worry about needing to put out content for us. We love your work, but we completely understand that your life takes priority. You have enough to worry about, know that there is no pressure from our side.

2 Likes

Terrible to hear such news Bobo, i hope you cherish the time you have left with this family member as someone who lost an Uncle suddenly to a Seizure which shocked my family!, but sometimes life can be just cruel like that, will understand if you want to spend more time with this family member with what time they have left.

4 Likes

Secret sizes you say… heheh

2 Likes

this game it quite interesting cant wait to see more

2 Likes

Hey kids! I’m not gonna have a lot of time to work on stuff for the rest of the month, so I figured that I’d go ahead and post what I have here.

This was a pretty big update! Almost all of the repeated dialogue is gone, the sprite sizes have been changed, and there are a few new features that have been added:

1. More “personality” responses to help your character feel more alive. This isn’t done yet, obviously, but there are a few more instances where the personality options can change your response.

2. Work buffs! Eventually, when the game has stabilized, the starting amount of money will go down. For now, it’s going to stay the same. But if you go to your computer in your apartment and “work” (at the expense of one day) you’ll get a small buff to your daily allowance.

3. Dialogue has been reworked so that stages 9-10 will be reserved for special quest lines. As such, friendship will be capped at 8. This is the groundwork for a much larger update down the road.

4. The first Day Count variable! After a certain number of days, an NPC will get fat. I will not tell you which one.

5. General bug patches/attempts.

6. Above mentioned dialogue expansion

7. Above mentioned sprite resizing.

I really appreciate everyone being so understanding about why last month’s update came up short. Life is hard and I hate that sometimes it gets in the way of this really cool work that I get to do for you guys, but it’s not something that I would be able to do without a really understanding set of patrons like y’all.

The next update will finally introduce the “Huge” sprites!

11 Likes

On a separate note, apart from my update above, I wanted to say thank you all to everyone who sent their condolences - whether it be through like or through comment, it really means a lot to me.

It’s very easy for me to fall into the “silence content creator, create content” mindset - I know that to a lot of you guys I’m just a guy who makes games where ladies get fat, and I try not to be overly familiar with everyone where I can help it. But it’s so very comforting to know that there are a lot of you who are understanding and empathetic when it comes to these types of struggles.

I really mean it when I say that, even if you’re not a patron or a regular reader/player of my stuff, even casual support like this makes a lot of difference to me.

You guys all rock, and I hope that I can keep making fun stuff for y’all for a long time :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Hey everyone! This is another one of those half updates that I’ve been doing. This month hasn’t left me with a lot of time to do everything that I need to do, and me catching up with my commission slate has been an uphill battle.

That being said, now all but the secret ending sprites are implemented! Which means you can take your favorite characters from this game (or just… y’know, all of them) from Skinny to Chubby to Fat, and now all the way to Huge!

There were a couple of minor fixes that I made here and there with sprite presentation and catching errors where the previous iteration of the character was implemented in the wrong weight stage. As of the time of writing, only the Windows version is up right now. But either by tonight or tomorrow, the Mac version will be uploaded as well.

As always, I appreciate your patience and your support, and I hope that you guys enjoy getting to chunk up these gals a little bit more while I work on the dialogue for the Huge stage!

COMING IN THE NEXT UPDATE:

• Unique “huge” dialogue for each character
  • Those unique “asks” that got put off last update that change with each weight stage
  • differing overworld sprites.

The next big update after that (which I don’t want to call the “Secret” update, because that sounds dumb) will focus on implementing the plotlines for four out of the five characters that involve getting them to their biggest sizes. How much of that I can do in one update, I don’t know - but we’ll find out!

As for the demo, I’ll be updating it with a new version once the dialogue for the “huge” section is completed.

9 Likes

Aaaaalright, kiddos. This one is a pretty important update!

Because this is the last “weight stage/dialogue” update!

It’s been a long time coming, but finally we’re ready to start making progress with things like quest lines, day count reintegration, the Cheat Sheet mechanic that I’ve been drawing up - it’s gonna be a fun time.

I’m so sorry that it’s taken so long to get to this point! Now that my familial issues have wrapped up, I should be able to get back to a normal level of output when it comes to these games and my commission work.

7 Likes

Screenshot 2023-06-27 171633

Uploading some screenshots and new features being added in the next version!

Your character will now store information that they learn about characters (favorite tastes, lore bits, dislikes, etc) that will update as you get to know them. There’s also a calender tracking the day variable, which will come in handy when it comes time to reintegrate the day count.

There are more updates like this in the pipeline, but I’m probably going to work on those in later updates - I’ve got to start laying the groundwork for the more basic questlines that the characters will give you.

8 Likes

that looks nice and i like the layouts

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been working my cute little butt off to sort of make up for what I feel have been very monotonous updates. One month sprites, the other month dialogue.

While I appreciate everyone’s understanding when it comes to my recent familial loss, that’s still not how I like to reward people for sticking by me during hard times. So, as another sneak peek, here are things that are CONFIRMED (as in, I’ve already done them and they’ve been bugtested and implemented) in the next version.

• The return of the day/night cycle (with effects on characters’ schedules to come with a future update(s))
  • living quarters for all main characters that can be interacted with once friendship reaches a high enough level
  • a “mission counter” that caps friendship level based on whether or not you’ve done quests for them
    – (Alex as always is the template, so it’s likely that she’ll just have a basic “first” quest to sort of show how it works)
  • new overworld spritework for decor and worldbuilding (this will continually be updated, I want to eventually replace most of the important assets with my own)

Here’s hoping that everyone, where applicable, is having a great 4th of July holiday weekend (if not applicable, I hope you’re just having a great day!), and keep a lookout next month for some really big and exciting changes for this game as I finally start to pick up steam again!

7 Likes

WOOO.

This update is a big one.

As far as pushing this thing toward what it’s going to look like by the time I’m finished with it, this is probably the biggest update that I’ve done in a good, long while. It’s been fun to pop the hood and get into the nitty-gritty of development again!

There are still some big implementations to go down the road like the Inventory system, full questlines, and (of course) the endings. But as it is, this update’s pretty huge!

JUST LIKE ANY CHARACTER YOU OVERFEED. BA- ZING.

Oh God, I’m tired.

Anyway, because y’all seem to respond well to these little tl;dr updates that I’ve been including in the bodies of these updates, here’s what’s changed!

QOL/Graphical Updates:

• New UI updates! No more blocky orange!
  • Day/Night system has returned!
  • Custom assets and design!
    ** I want to, eventually, replace all (or most) of the pre-existing graphics with my own sprites. Keep a lookout for that! For reference of my experience making assets for games, check the Stardew Fatty projects I’ve been involved in: RolyPoly Pam/Round Robin, Ice Cream Sandy, and Calorie Queen Caroline.

Gameplay Updates:

• Apartments and living quarters have been implemented!
    ** this will be important as gift-giving parameters shift around and the game gets more story content. For now, they’re empty, but explorable.
  • Phone to access menu
    ** full menu access will eventually be limited outside of Developer Mode.
  • Calendar to track days
    ** day count will become important once the deadline is implemented. Trust me, you’ll want to keep track of in-game days down the line.
  • Notebook to keep track of the weights and things that your character learn about the characters
    ** triggers haven’t been implemented but will be as I write the questlines.

What’s coming next, I already hear you asking. Instead of laying out exactly what I’m going to work on next month (because it’s really whichever one gets finished first rather than going in order) here are some things that I have planned for future updates as we inch towards a more complete version of Cicada Springs:

• Full questlines for characters with branching options and outcomes.
    ** These will likely be drip-fed in, as doing them all at once will probably actually kill me liver-first.
  • More custom sprites and assets!
  • An inventory system that goes anywhere from 3 slots to 5 slots.
    ** It really depends on what’s more balanced without being too easy.
  • Characters gift-accepting parameters changing to off-the-clock only.
  • A 30-day limit to play (and thus, feed and fatten our friends to unlock endings)
  • (Hopefully) a collapsible menu tray. I like my spritework and all, but it eats up
    a lot of real estate on-screen.

As for you guys on WeightGaming, I’ve also whipped up a new Demo! This time the day limit is 5, and all dialogue is up-to-date with everything that’s in the full version for both Mac and PC.

After a long string of family struggles and “simple” updates, it’s nice to be back in the saddle doing the hard work again. Here’s hoping that you guys enjoy what I’ve been cooking up this month, and I can’t wait for you to see what I’ve got in store down the line!

12 Likes

I think the windows and mac version links are backward.

2 Likes

They sure were! But now they should be right. Thanks for pointing that out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s currently a bug with the computer teleporting players onto the bed rather than beside it. Until further notice, put aside the Sigma grindset and don’t try and earn more money by putting in extra work on the computer or you’ll get softlocked.

Also, tileset issues abound in Fiction Addiction. Working on it as I type this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also found a bug at the coffee shop where I couldn’t buy anything or talk to the NPC at the register. Other than that and the bugs you said there, it seems to be running smoothly

1 Like

I found a couple of little things that I forgot while I was under the hood. Things like tileset problems, the inability to get into the Broken Stool thanks to time not being “real” yet, and my dumbdumb self forgot to turn off options to view the Special dialogue branches that don’t lead anywhere yet.

I’ll be releasing a patch and updating the versions to v0.7.0.1 on all platforms within the hour in hopes of addressing these issues.

2 Likes

alright, that should do it! v0.7.0.1 is now live! And aside from the sign outside of the Broken Stool saying “closed” (it’s not, feel free to walk right in) everything should be good to go!

Sorry about the trouble everyone!

2 Likes

this might sound stupid, but how do i open a .rar file? im not to good with computers, and all i know is how to extract a zip file.

1 Like

You’ll want to download Winrar - and regardless of what it tries to tell you, it’s completely free.

1 Like