Clothing preference poll

There are multiple ways of handling character’s clothing when it comes to weight gain.
Two most of the most common tropes I’ve seen being used are: clothes either combust when a great force of weight is applied to them or the outfit stretches and morphs to fill the newfound curves.
I wanted to hear your take on this. What do you find more arousing?

• Malfunctioning wardrobe
  • Persistent and adaptive clothing

0 voters

In terms of clothes being semi- or completely destroyed in the process, would you like the previous outfit to be replaced by the same looking one just bigger size? Or something else entirely?
Please feel free to elaborate on the topic in comments if you’d like.
Thanks.

6 Likes

Personally, I enjoy people getting too fat and popping buttons and such, but allowing them to get newer, bigger outfits that fit (and for them to grow out of those too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

10 Likes

When it comes to clothes, I feel like the best way to show weight gain is to show the clothes while they fit, show them while they are tight and ill-fitting, show the character damage the wardrobe (button pop or something similiar) or not be able to fit into it anymore, then show the character in new clothes.

1 Like

Clothing malfunctions are turn-ons for obvious reasons - popped buttons, rips and tears, etc - and it’s what I voted for. It really puts on a display of how greedy the wearer is, so ravenous that they’re eating so much so fast their clothing can’t even keep up as it eventually surrenders and makes way for the pounds and pounds of fat that are stressing it. The character’s reaction also has its own appeal, either humilated and embarrassed at themselves but unable to stop, or unphased and apathetic, so lost in their haze of gluttony to even notice or care that they’ve eaten themselves to the size of a blob with their entire outfit in tatters around them.

On the other hand, I feel like clothing that still fits (albeit possibly poorly) also has appeal in its own way. Oversized shirts that leave a little bit of belly uncovered, stretchy pants pushed to their limit as they attempt to contain a huge gut, things like that. Also, a character having a fitting wardrobe sort of implies that they’re used to being at their size for a time – having them in a sized-up version of their usual outfit that can contain their new bulk kind of normalizes it, I guess. Like, if a specific character is drawn fat, but in their normal outfit (even if it’s a bit of a poor fit), I kind of just imagine them doing the things that they normally do, except with a few hundred more pounds, which is a turn-in in its own way. Maybe I’m just being weirdly specific and this is just me.

Although, this is just kind of in general – both of these are good, but if it’s specifically about quick weight gain, I prefer damaged clothing.

7 Likes

I think maybe having a third option would be a decent way to help balance some of the votes since I like both options but like the malfunctions more due to the suddenness of when it occurs (like after eating the appetizer, the main course, and barely finishing the dessert she felt her gut surge forward as a pop rang out over the noise the establishment, with air now flowing to the front of now exposed belly).
Yet the upgrade to improve clothing shows me the slow yet incredible journey as they accept their new bulk, having to keeping appeasing the growing assets until finally why bother anymore and go full into the gluttony.

3 Likes

*Chuckles* “Malfunctioning wardrobe” sounds like the euphemism the gainer would use to describe how they are outgrowing their clothes. I agree with the others who have commented: the progression of outgrowing clothes is an attractive way of measuring growth. Of course, we vary more on how we want the character to respond from the developments. The ill-fitting wardrobe is a great intermediate step. While there is some appeal to up-sizing with the same outfit–as a way for the character to embrace a pretense of normalcy–there is also appeal for a wardrobe shift down the road. By “wardrobe shift,” I mean the sacrificing style for comfort:

• storing away jeans (the character will probably never fit in again) to make room for the purchase of sweatpants
  • retiring busted-button shirts in favor of simpler T-shirts
  • going from trying to hide behind bulky clothes to giving up and wearing tank tops to stay cool
  • abandoning shoes with laces (and perhaps ultimately switching to flip flops)

I love moving up to this concept because it highlights a psychological adjustment from denial to begrudging acceptance. Thanks for posing such a thought-provoking question.

7 Likes

Ugh, I can’t believe I forgot how amazing slovenly fatties that laze around in barely-fitting t-shirts and overstretched sweatpants as they stuff themselves with whatever’s in arm’s reach of the couch are. It’s, like, the #1 outfit/scenario I love seeing fats of, it’s so weirdly hot. Begrudging acceptance describes it perfectly.

3 Likes

That’s what I call the perfect cycle. It’s no more different than buying swords after swords for higher stats as you progress through a game, but with a kink side to it.

3 Likes

This is why I voted persistent/adapting because it’s closer to this over-bulging stuff!

I voted malfunctioning wardrobe, because in terms of immediate gratification, it’s hard to beat. I definitely prefer a realistic tear, along a seam or a button pop or what have you, rather then a literal explosion of cloth. It’s just a bit too immersion breaking, I feel.

That said, there is a lot of appeal to an evolving wardrobe. Combine that with the cost of clothes and the fact that the gainer in question may not have the funds to regularly replace shrinking articles, and you have the recipe for plenty of both.

1 Like

Prefer clothes stay on longer,but keep having to be adjusted for comfort. (Such as unbuttoning or lift a shirt.

2 Likes