Dev Blog

Yaffaif has never had a development blog, mainly because I didn’t have anywhere to easily do it. It probably needs one, if only because actual releases are, well, infrequent. There are a number of reasons for this.

First up, I’ll make no pretence that Yaffaif isn’t complicated. I want to do certain things differently, which is why I’m not using one of the typical engines. The mix of mouse or keyboard input with auto-completion is something I wanted to do with IF for a long time. As is the slow transformation and weight gain themes.

Secondly, this is a part-time project that has to be put aside from time to time. Work, health and other personal issues impact the time I can spend on it. Sometimes I’m just not in the mood.

Thirdly, there’s a lot going on under the covers. Getting to the point where the new functionality is exposed and would make a difference to gameplay often takes a lot more work than might be expected.

The current focus is on the sexy stuff. However, I’ve found I need to take a step back and deal with composite items first. Regular container items in Yaffaif can either be a surface (like a table) or not (like a box or cupboard). This is all well and good until you get to, say, a chest of drawers. Each drawer is a container and can have other items in it, and also the whole thing is a surface that things can be put on. It is a composite container, and I need to make sure I can get these to work before returning to the sexy because they are going to impact a lot of code.

Well i hope this place can be a suitable home for you ans Yaffaif. I’ve quite enjoyed what you’ve put out so far and look forward to its future.

Well, regardless of progress speeds, you’re more than welcome here. We know what its like to have a life and have one of these projects as a hobby. Take your time.

This place should be a good platform even if it’s just to drop in every once in a while to say, “hey been busy but there’s this”, etc.

Also, getting structural changes like that surface-drawer storage can be really satisfying.

Thanks for the support! It’s good to know that people are enjoying in it’s still limited form.

[quote=“Atticus.Arc, post:3, topic:725”]Well, regardless of progress speeds, you’re more than welcome here. We know what its like to have a life and have one of these projects as a hobby. Take your time.

This place should be a good platform even if it’s just to drop in every once in a while to say, “hey been busy but there’s this”, etc.

Also, getting structural changes like that surface-drawer storage can be really satisfying.[/quote]
It certainly seems to be starting out well. I’m going to be making links back to here and see if I can boost the signal a bit.

And I’m glad there’s someone who gets the satisfaction of getting changes done and improving the code. I image you, like me, have a lot of stuff under the covers that’s not (yet) accessible to players.

Onwards… today’s distraction has been breakable and overly snug chairs.

Any links to the forum are definitely appreciated. Let me know if you need any tools or additional features for your project. And of course, thanks again for being an early adopter on the forums.