Do you also fell like more and more WG games are created since Ai art is a thing?

In terms of the impact thus far of procedurally-generated graphics, so far it is only supporting specific kinds of games, namely visual novels. That genre specifically is both art-intensive and programming-lite. As a result, “AI” art is encouraging for individual developers with minimal experience but lacking the ability of confidence to produce their own art assets. However, the technology is deceptively ‘easy’; turning algo outputs into non-horrific objects is time-consuming, the cost of hardware and power is non-trivial for the average person and the data they’re trained on is biased towards specific kinds of images.

It might also see use in RPGs but the utility outside specific genres is limited. Yes, we’ll see more games, but it will not result in more variety - nor will there necessarily be an increase in quality. I think it will make it even less likely for group projects to happen, since there’s one less reason for people to team up with a writer or an artist, when they think an algo can do both jobs for them.

Human art is not going away. What we are going to see is a combination of the cost of procedural generation going up as venture capital behind it starts looking for an ROI, with a concurrent push by art spaces and associated business to seek damages for unlicensed use of art. I highly doubt it will go fully uncontested, albeit only from those with the ability to react. A collective of artists can have an impact, but without union levels of organisation, there’s a risk of spaces like deviantart simply settling any disputes for their own benefit, such as using algo access to uploaded content as a source of revenue.

In addition to the above, all art generation tech around today is heavily flawed and in most cases, isn’t reliable enough for high-end commercial applications. These are just some of the things that will stop it being used everywhere. Even as it looms large, I think we’ll ironically see artists paid to clean up its mess of black voids, extra arms and wavy buildings. Giving control over this tech to artists would be super cool, honestly but lbr artists will get priced-out of the tech the moment it starts getting good.

Despite the above, automation has already devastated other jobs and I don’t see any way to fully close the pandora’s box of algos and techbros and people on the edges of the market are gonna get screwed. Specifically, artists reliant on small-scale commissions eg; fanart, personal avatars, OCs, with their commission pages on twitter. It’s not a problem of technology so much as a problem of technology under capitalism, where the worker gets the short end of the stick via whatever means available and corpoate interests will block any attempt to protect those actually doing the work that algos feed upon.

Government support for the arts is the sort of thing that can help short of legislation restraining unethical use of algorithms (good luck getting any good laws passed in the US). All of the (non-fetish) art spaces I’m in are also alarmed but most are already talented enough that their labour can’t be reproduced (yet). It will hit hardest on those with less experience (especially those still studying) and/or in niche roles (you mentioned colourists, but lineart, shading, typesetting are some other jobs non-artists here might not know about) that are easier for an algo to replicate.

4 Likes

I’m more surprised that the overall number of good games on the site is very high. Game development takes a huge amount of time and projects are stagnant with no updates simply because the developers don’t have time for them or they are not interested in further development. This is not surprising since most of the projects do not bring profit to their creators and they has no motivation in the further development of the project. When there is game jam event with a cash reward at stake we get a lot of new projects since a lot of people get motivation to make them.

1 Like

Well I’m not an expert on the subject of Ai art. However, I have noticed that many games (especially visual novels) have started using it. I am not against or in favor of this but, like you, I am also paranoid that one day all the games will be with Ai art. However, if this happens, I think it would take a long time since I think it is still something recent since I notice some flaws such as the hands with 6 or 8 fingers and sometimes when they tell you that a character weighs a certain weight but in the image it doesn’t seem that way (this happens a lot when a group of images are part of a sequence of increase or weightloss). :thinking: :grinning:

But in the end this is just my opinion :grin:

1 Like

Year ago Ai couldn’t draw proper hands, fingers, faces. Now we can use Control Net and improved trained models to fix this issues. I think AI will surprise us no less next year as it develops incredibly fast.

1 Like

I do think there’s going to be an increase in games that would have just been text based getting algorithm art put into them where there would have otherwise been none, but I’m not sure how many quality games are going to get made with algo art. I am seeing some VNs pop up using it, but if the writing isn’t the main draw then there’s not much appeal, since that kind of art is readily available to just about anyone now. Basically the fact that anyone can get 100 pictures that look mostly the same means it’s all going to be ubiquitous and nearly worthless soon enough, both monetarily and in terms of attention.

Also

This is exactly why this trend is so disheartening to artists. The attitude that gaining/improving ones skills is seen as a waste of time because you can get a “good enough” alternative for cheap.

Personally I think that most of it looks like “don’t let your wife see this game!” spammy ad art and just kinda gloss over it.

3 Likes

It’s great that more smaller creators can get their games out because sometimes getting an artist for your game just isn’t possible at times although I’m still very scared about how far these people will try and take the AI thing there’s already been some very awful things that have come out and the fact that once you make something in AI art the ownership gets a bit complicated

1 Like

I mean, it’s pretty well established that things generated by a program without sufficient human creativity are un-copyrightable. Folks will claim there’s grey areas around that, but there’s a reason algobros fighting over ‘’‘stolen prompts’‘’ and whatnot is a funny meme.

1 Like

Right, but that means there’s nothing stopping someone from just taking all of the algo images from your game and making their own thing.

4 Likes

Pretty much. It kinda has to be that way or stuff like the bs Hero Forge pulls would be even more onerous. Even if the law changed, you best believe that the copyright claim wouldn’t go to the end user, it would go to the person that created the algo itself. The technique on its own makes it impossible to determine original authorship.

However, I suspect that if someone were to give legal advice they would suggest that if you used methods derived from your own original artwork (see; BoboTS2’s use in Fill Me Up), it would still be protected.

1 Like

I feel AI art is only a good thing for our game genre. There are a lot of people out there who have amazing story ideas but just lack the creative ability to bring it into fruition and most fans enjoy having visuals to the story they are playing through.

So many people are complete luddites towards AI in general; they hate it just for the sake of hating it and progress. AI learns and borrows from artistic styles the same as any artist who is learning to draw; almost everyone references their artistic style and design based on those who came before them so that whole can of worms seems like a hollow argument. That is the entire point of studying and learning. Not to mention AI will only keep constantly improving; progress is inevitable thus we should embrace it.

People who have the creative ability will likely still make their own custom art as that will make them stand out from the AI stuff so I don’t think that should be a major concern for quite a while. Even then, artistically inclined people will still stand above the rest in a post AI art world as they will have the creative mindset to create and touch up AI art better than those that don’t.

4 Likes

having a robot or AI replace you is something that’s been going on since the days of the assembly line now they work with the robot to improve speed and accuracy so too shall art follow.

I wanted to share my 2 cents about AI art real quick here.
I think AI art is really cool and if it lowers the barrier to entry for new devs to create WG games it is a huge positive.
But there is a reason I personally am not using AI art myself or use AI to enhance the images I create and I would like to explain why.

I believe that with the current level of AI it creates really good images with great looking characters but these characters lack identity.
I think they lack identity and persistence in the gameworld because if you generate 100+ images in AI with the same character, the character looks just a bit different everytime.
The length of the hair, the size of the belly and boobs, the spots on their skin and the look in their eyes changes quite a lot between images.
I think it is important for characters to have a visual identity, something people can recognize by seeing them pop up somewhere in the background or from behind.

Then there is also the fact that current AI technology is not nearly good enough to create animations of the characters in the same detail as the images.
This would mean that you either have to ditch animations or you create a glaring difference between non-AI animations and AI images.

A while back I delved into AI to touch up some images from the game and while I enjoyed the results it generated(I would even call them superior to the original thing.), It was not possible for me to generate the same look in different environments and poses.
Here was the best I was able to make then. A before and after of 2 images with the same character.

4 Likes

Very well said. I agree that when it comes to games on this site, AI art is almost certainly a net positive. I know that at the very least if AI art didn’t exist, I would not have made a game. I’m not an artist at all, and I can’t afford to pay for one, so AI art was a great way for me personally to realize the creative vision I had for a game.

1 Like

Yeah I have to agree on that one prompts aren’t something you can really keep to yourself it makes someone who tries to do this look like a lunatic the artwork can be an inspiration for someone to make their own character but the way AI art works is already really sketchy since it takes others artwork to learn how to make art

I think it is a good and bad thing because there are many people who have amazing ideas and now have a tool to make that idea real and show it to the world but then there are the people who are going to using just to make quick money and not put no heart and soul in to the it and make trash games.

1 Like

People were already doing that before, without AI.

5 Likes