Doughball Descent - Weight-Gain centric Roguelite Puzzle Platformer

I think this is the best game in the whole jam, good job

1 Like

What did you use to make the game?

piskel, gamemaker studio 2, and a lot of elbow grease. it’s a lot harder than it sounds

1 Like

I had quite a bit of fun with this one! Managed to make it to almost 4,000 lbs once I came to grips with the gameplay and items. Sadly, I encountered a combination of waterfalls and metal boxes that I was too wide to get past, so I had to let an enemy kill me at that point.

By the way, perhaps this is a silly question, but why are there two differently-priced heart items in the shop? I couldn’t really tell if there was a difference in their effects.

2 Likes

I assumed it was just simply two opportunities to replenish some health - one relatively cheap if you had bad luck on a run (er, fall).

2 Likes

ah, tough luck!
as for the hearts, it’s just 2 randomly priced opportunities to heal
there is admittedly a lot of people having issues with metal boxes. i actually originally allowed the player to break them at >500 or 1000 lbs and i feel rather inclined to bring that back

4 Likes

I was never completely stopped by metal boxes because surprisingly, I prefer staying at a “moderate” weight of under ~1000lbs but yes, being able to break those currently indestructible blocks should be a thing if you don’t want extremely wide players to be forced to end their runs early.

2 Likes

ye i tried lose as much as i can but eveentually u gain more than u can spend in the shop

1 Like

Hah, does that mean we could hit a point of going terminal and just smashing through the entire level -including the shop?

That needs a special ending of either reaching the bottom of the pit or a depiction of being wedged by the walls of the pit X3

3 Likes

Heh, to be honest, I can’t help but wonder if it would be possible to get stuck in the shop even with the wider exit. I did another run and made it to 8,000 lbs this time, at which point I was about 9 blocks wide and completely incapable of actually dodging spikes and durian slugs. I had to damage boost through most of it, which didn’t always work out well due to the Helium Belly powerups I had purchased. (I sometimes couldn’t fall fast enough to drop through the spikes during my invincibility period.) It was also pretty amusing to be forced to buy 2 or 3 items at a time from the shop due to standing on multiple scales at once. :stuck_out_tongue: All in all, though, I was pleasantly surprised at how long the game remained playable at all, given the silly widths my character was reaching.

2 Likes

Any chance after the Jam is completely over that we’d get more characters to unlock, like in a lot of roguelites?
…or just have the doughball character be a sprite sheet we have access to that we can replace?

2 Likes

There’s actually a second character in the files! Rather incomplete mind you, but yeah unlockable items, characters, and whatnot would probably be present in a full release!
A template character and/or the ability to swap out sprites in general would also be lots of fun, hopefully I’ll be able to figure it out!

2 Likes

Honestly, after a while of playing it my only issues are the combination of both the shooting enemies and the spiked slugs in the second area. The doughnuts in the first area are annoying but slightly manageable. The Peashooters and the spike slugs pose a problem especially when they’re on the same spot. If you just moved the spiked slugs to area 3 it’d be much better to deal with.

2 Likes

This was absolutely smooth as butter and onje of a few entries this that you really don’t need to make concessions towards for being amde in two weeks! The mechanics just feel polished and ready! I can’t wait to see what your plans are with new content going forward!
(Also this game is, I’m pretty sure, cute enough to sell to normies!)

1 Like

So I ended up getting addicted to this game pretty fast. Got game ended by being unable to dodge all the cannonballs, but I’d say this is like my best run, and probably will stay that way.

2 Likes

Probably my best run, only stopped cuz I got trapped between a bunch of the shooting enemies all together and couldn’t go down fast enough.

2 Likes

Watched Charem play this, and it looks really good! I just have to ask, however…why an armless biped? ^^; TBH I find that a bit weird and creepy. Possibly add the option to play with or without arms?

2 Likes

Glad you thought it looked good, as for the armless thing, it’s simple: you don’t use em and they block view to the belly
We had actually planned to add additional characters and levels and whatnot, so when I get around to a full release I’ll try to remember to give at least one arms

1 Like

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 325 |

| Writing: | 0 |

| Concept/Design | 1150 |

| Msc: | 150 |

| Total: | 21825 |

Comments:

This was quite a fun little game. Having to think about where to jump was quite fun since as soon as your broke a tile there was usually no going back. Tight core concept a well polished. If I was to nick pick at anything it would be I am not sure how long the game play loop would stay fresh but otherwise was fun.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 282 |

| Concept/Design | 1187 |

| Msc: | 110 |

| Total: | 21840 |

Comments:

This feels like a full game. The mechanics are all solid, the concept is fluid and intuitive. I’m honestly having a hard time comming up with ways to make things better and not just different Good job!

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 305 |

| Concept/Design | 1400 |

| Msc: | 195 |

| Total: | 22180 |

Comments:

This is one of my favorites, I’m not going to lie. I found myself playing it not just to judge, but to enjoy simply because its a joy to play. The level of polish on this is insane. I was floored when I saw that there were multiple levels with additional enemy types, fantastic work. I love the core concept, really nailed what we wanted out of the theme. Great music too, really catchy.

Overall, fantastic work, I really have no complaints (other than I wish space bar were jump)

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 355 |

| Concept/Design | 1440 |

| Msc: | 150 |

| Total: | 22175 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 270 |

| Writing: | 150 |

| Concept/Design | 1120 |

| Msc: | 170 |

| Total: | 21960 |

Comments:

A good use of the theme to use weight as not only a resource but also as one of your primary tools. The simple gameplay mixed with the slowly ramping difficulty makes this very re playable, especially with the random purchasables. The style was cute and I can imagine people coming back to this to see how high a score they can get and how heavy they can make their doughball!

Scores

Art: 1537

Writing: 150

Sound: 1221

Design: 6297

Total: 109980

2 Likes