Doughball Descent - Weight-Gain centric Roguelite Puzzle Platformer

Play as an intrepid butterball descending the food pyramid, crushing foes, eating food, and trading for relics all the while

Download it on Itch
View the trailer

Addendum: Thanks for the feedback and warm reception, everyone! I’ve updated the game to allow using the arrow keys, fixed the coupon not correctly asymptoting at a 30% chance, and most importantly, widened the shop exit! Check out version 1.1; Happy falling, all!

32 Likes

Love the game concept, very fun, you use weight to a great advantange and feel better for growing bigger and bigger, tough i think i reached the endgame, got almost everything for free and wasnt able to fit on the hole, maybe some construction to make it larger in the future :3

2 Likes

Really impressed at how much game you were able to make for a game jam. Multiple levels, each with different enemies, and environments, items, level generation and a nice UI.

I’d say that the 2nd set of levels feels more difficult than the 3rd, mainly due to the projectiles and the spiked worms.

Overall great game that is fun to play.

Also is there a secret meat level or are the meat sprites from a cut level?

1 Like

haha, glad ya liked it and thanks for the feedback! obviously time was a little short so balance in general is a little wonky; those durian slugs are the worst
we actually planned to have 2 additional levels (i never got around to spriting food for the 5th): protein and sugar but we started a bit late into the jam and didnt have time, but we definitely want to finish it properly after the jam’s over, so stay tuned!

1 Like

thanks for playing all the way to the endgame! my partner actually encountered that very issue when playtesting; they dont make shop holes like they used to!
food for though definitely, we’re planning an update with 2 areas we had to cut for time as well as seeing what the community has to say; suffice to say, that shop exit is definitely gonna need to get expanded

1 Like

Ran into the same thing where I got to wide, guess that means I win? I love the arrows showing how many things you’re going to break through, really lets you plan ahead. Also I found out with enough items and a good bounce you can even get on top of the shop.

3 Likes

wow, excellent work! great visuals, good song/sfx picks, and brilliant incorporation of the theme into the game’s mechanics. tremendously impressed by this one, easily one of my favorite games so far

2 Likes

aw jeez, that means a ton coming from you! i’m a huge fan of your cozy lil game, penelope’s christmas!

1 Like

Damn, you guys are all really good at this game.

This game is addicting! The music has such a fun edge to it, the character sprite is adorable, and the power-ups are cool (though I am still not 100% sure what some of them do). I am generally even worse at these games than I am with traditional side-scroll platformers, so I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did. It feels very complete for a Gain Jam game, so props to you! The difficulty level is just right, I found. Time attack mode might be fun for some people (I am no good at those).

2 Likes

Same

2 Likes

Really impressive stuff! A high contender to be sure.

1 Like

The game is really fun. Probably my favorite out of this years jam so far.

1 Like

THIS IS SO FUN
I love this game!
However, I’d prefer play by arrows + space, my left hand is tired qwq

2 Likes

Love the game, too, but I agree with AlisenokMouse. I’d really love to be able to rebind my keys.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and warm reception, everyone! I’ve updated the game to allow using the arrow keys, fixed the coupon not correctly asymptoting at a 30% chance, and most importantly, widened the shop exit! Happy falling, all!

1 Like

Version 1.1 has gotcha covered! Happy falling!

1 Like

just remember that got a name, that was Softlock, any way it dont care anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

So, what kind of healing rate does the “kills heal” ability give? Because I’m not convinced it works.

1 Like

A roughly 1/20 chance to get a heart back on kill, i believe

1 Like