Dumb topic: Antagonism

Warning: Too Long Text Below

What kind of antagonist do you think could be in one game where our fetish is the main theme? I know; obviously an antagonist is technically useless in these games. I mean, it is a fetish game. No makes sense have one. By position: this topic is dumb by being useless.

But if you have to put one, how then? I need to remember the antagonist must be against the protagonist’s goals. So what? Or also the antagonist just has a rivalry. Because that is enough to be antagonist too. Which is the best way to develop an antagonist to this kind of game? So, the protagonist’s goal is her/his fetish (in theory).

I saw that there are (few) antagonists, but I do not feel they actually are. Yeah, they are bother, but I really want to see one that makes me feel hatred to him/her or whatever and wanting to defeat him/her. I will always think any type of characters exist to create a story and that not only appearance, being drawn by an artist or written by a writer and imagined by the reader, ignoring (or just overlook) the characters’ development are enought when someone decide to make a decent story. Of course, I said “story”. Something that ones (but not everybody) care about but it is not necessary for a fetish game. But yeah, “any type of characters”, technically not including antagonist to the list for this kind of story of this kind of game. Remembering: I said “story”. “It is not necessary”.

Still, there are enemies. Just enemies, they are enemies because they are hostiles and that is bad; meaning: antagonism. Ah…

Any answering? Writing/Character Development is not something that I have practice anyway. Waiting not be so fool making explanations.

1 Like

Well, off the top of my head for these types of games, the tropes for villains are

1. An anti-fetish antagonist,

To go for the obvious one, a stick in the mud type who doesn’t want the protagonist to complete their fetishistic goals (I.E A fitness zealot).

1. A fetishistic antagonist

An enemy that directly tries to apply the fetish to the protagonist (And the ones i secretly root for) as the protagonist tries to get away from them (A weird prevalence of this type, As i understand it Currently unnamed, Fatty text, Lanna, Hunger, And above gods use this to name examples off the top of my head, i never really got why but it’s a thing)

1. The “Master of the fetish” Antagonist

An antagonist who is usually farther progressed in the fetish (For whatever reason) and wants to keep Queen bee status as the most in their category (Vale city being the main one i can think of in this example)

1. The pro-antagonist

Usually these are people who don’t want to have the fetish applied to them, but you as your avatar want to make sure they do (Adam & Eve)

That’s all i can think of right now, but if i can think of any others i’ll add to them. I say look at what’s popular and try to do that, unless you are sure you can make a compelling villain another way

5 Likes

Well, I need to say to you that be an antagonist does not mean a villain. Obviously that is proofed with stories where the villain is the main character (protagonist), making the good guy the antagonist. This is the way it works. Antagonist ≠ Villain.

So, I understand your fourth idea but the name makes no sense. And I never thought that all the antagonist that you mention in your second and third idea are antagonists. Like I said, they help you (the IRL player) to enjoy the fetish (I guess?). So yeah, but you (the avatar - referencing to Fatty Text this time) “do not want” that, making them antagonists, or aleast what I saw there.

The first one is too obvious but I do not see a “diet guy” trying to stop you, ignoring what ridiculous it looks.

When I said antagonist, I was looking for one being the main antagonist. The big character. The unstoppable. I will guess a rival is very good. Better if you and he/she is a feeder.

EDIT: Maybe if you are rivaling him/her and he/she is not using the same method. I mean, by some way, both you are competing on “fetish thing”, you fat fetish and (s)he X fetish. Just to do not reward the player for doing nothing (by just letting the rival doing all the job) and make her/him get her/his own reward by actual game progressing.

In my opinion, the ideal antagonist is one who applies the fetish in “evil” ways. Whereas the protagonist’s motives lie in an appreciation of the subject, the antagonist only values the subject in as much as it corrupts and debases, or how they can utilize it to meet their own goals.

Or maybe the antagonist eats people, and simply desires fattened cattle. That’s good, too.

Agreed. I am pretty fine with your opinion.

So that is it. So glad to read both of you guys. I will keep trinking about it for a time.

I agree with your point that an antagonist is not necessarily a villain, and vice versa. Despite how seemingly obvious it is, I’ve yet to play a fat-fetish game in which the player assumes the role of a devious villain out to fatten people up for their own gain or enjoyment.

If I may try to explain this point, @Altair123 is referring to games in which the player-controlled character doesn’t want to gain weight, but is nonetheless forced by the player to act against that interest. These are games in which a fattened protagonist results in a loss state, but said loss state is what most players want. It’s a sort of “joy of losing” situation, in which the player becomes an indirect antagonist to what the in-game protagonist wants.

The point of an antagonist is to create tension in the story that allows the story to reach some sort of resolution, thereby being interesting for a player/reader to experience. I do agree that, in a fetish game, an antagonist is not strictly necessary because the tension can be entirely sexual. However, I would argue that this would lead to only a very small number of possible stories/designs. For instance, a feedee being willingly fed by the protagonist, and then you reach the end of the game when the developer runs out of artwork. There are actually games out there like this, and they can be briefly fun. However, I think having some story element that acts in opposition to the protagonist is going to be difficult to avoid in most works, because most people want something more interesting than just straight sexual tension.

I haven’t done a lot of writing lately, but from what I remember, there are quite a few ways you can create conflict/tension in a story, thereby creating something that antagonizes the main character. These are traditionally listed in the form of “man vs. X,” and maybe that’s familiar to you. But the ones I can think of are:
Protagonist vs.:

• other person
  • nature
  • society
  • self
  • unknown/supernatural/extraterrestrial
  • machine/technology
  • fate/god
  • audience/reader/player

I’ve seen examples of almost all of these in both feedist literature and games. How you would set up a specific conflict depends on where you want your game’s story to lead the protagonist. I think @Altair123 has a pretty good list of the common themes that occur in feedist-related games.

2 Likes

One could mix and match said “opponents” for some interesting affects.

If I may provide an example, let’s imagine a game with a very fetish-centric setting. Imagine a place (city, kingdom, world, etc.) where social status is dictated by two things; weight and fighting prowess. It’s a sumo-centric world that treats the fattest and strongest like royalty.

We have three different playable characters at the start, all of which are skinny, poor and generally miserable types who are about to go on a quest for obesity and glory.

Our first character is a straight man vs. man; someone who’s had an arch-nemesis in one of the fatty elite, and embarks on their quest purely on the drive to take said foe down.

Second is man vs. society; this person is indignant about the frankly absurd way that their world operates, but plays their little game anyway in the hope to get even.

And finally, man vs. player; this person’s story starts off somewhat like our first character’s, but as they go on and get fatter and fatter, they start to feel that something is off. As if something other than themselves is making the choices and pulling the strings. And by that point, they don’t want to get fat anymore; they don’t know what actions are there own, if any at all!

This of course is somewhat complex, but I hope I got my point across.

I just noted the fact that if the feederism is the protagonist’s main goal, it is so selfish. I mean, it is not something that is convicting enough for make someone needs to stop it. Or aleast, in much cases.

Right. Also, neither the protagonist nor the antagonist need to be hero/villain. So it can be one wanting something and the other one stop it with no “good versus evil” stuff.

Yes, it is complex. But I do not think it needs to be complex. I mean, have an main antagonist is not complex, but have an main antagonist for these games is. That is why I asked for it.

Great opinions you all have.

As far as non villainous motivations for an antagonist there are a few options, and these may have been addressed or brought up by others. I am just stating them in my own framework or categories. I suppose these could become villainous motivations depending on how far it is taken by the Antagonist.

The Competitor: Someone with the same goal as the protagonist but wants to fulfill it themselves or remain top dog. In a Gaining game this person could feel challenged status wise by the protagonist and thus want to reassert their dominance by being bigger or keeping the protagonist small.

The Naysayer: this person for what ever reason wants to stop the Protagonist from meeting their goals but does not necessarily share them. In a gaining game this could be someone who philosophically disagrees with the goals of the gainer or wishes to see fat people remain in the position of shame or undesirable and is incensed to see it celebrated. This even could be someone with good intentions like concern for people’s health but they have carried out that motivation in a militant or antagonistic fashion.

The Covetious: Someone who is jealous of the protag’s goals or the attention they attain while seeking to fulfill them. For some reason this person can not pursue the goal the Protag pursues but wishes they could and are resentful they can’t and thus takes their ire out on the protag. In a gainer context this could be someone who can’t gain and resents those that can.

Inverse Competitor: An example would be a body builder who wants the attention that the gainer is getting. This is an inverse of the competitor as there is a competitive rivalry but the goals are not the same.

The Anti-competitor: Someone who has completely different goals but for some reason sees the protag as a soft target. An example would be a bodybuilder who is denigrating to the gainer and sneers at their efforts. This can quickly flip into the Inverse-competitor depending on the antag’s reaction to the attention the protag receives.

The Environment: while not being a person, the world or environment can serve as an obstacle to the player’s goals. In a gainer context think of services and public spaces not being designed for larger individuals so doors and vehicles could be ill suited to the larger protag. This also counts if the actual environment is harsh and hostile such as sweltering heat or biting cold. The lack or abundance of food or competion for food could also be antagonistic.

4 Likes

Just make it Thanos. Not enough food because you keep eating it? Kill all the fat people. Boom, there’s your antagonist, give me my fucking Oscar.

1 Like