Dungeon Snacker, a dungeon crawling RPG (Exas4000, Sato and Rusfish's submission)

I like it, I wish it were longer. Also wish more things were communicated better and made more clear to the player. It appears that selecting rooms doesn’t really navigate you in any direction, it’s just a set amount of rounds before the character returns to the exit? I wish we were free to explore a bit more and continue without being forced to go to the exit. As it stands the game is too short to bother with going to the shop, and only being able to eat food at rest areas burns up a turn on a game with a limited amount of them. Really wish the player could be more free to do as they please and not stuck with a hard cap turn limit, it’s a solid concept and deserves a longer game I think.

4 Likes

Honestly I really love this game, I think it’s a great concept that with maybe just another few weeks of development could very easily be a full game.

Hilariously it is now extremely easy to play now that the power stat actually works. I’d mention things that need balancing but I’m sure your already aware of what could be tweaked at this point.

1 Like

Great game, excellent job :ok_hand:

1 Like

Great little game! Finally got fearless snacker :smiley: There is just one thing, I am wondering if the bridge event is working correctly. In trying to cross the bridge is says you go back two spaces, however it seemed as though I went forward two instead. I could be mistaken of course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

well, officially, it does work… but it only sends you toward the entrance… i never took the time to either add the condition to send you back into the dungeon while going back to the entrance or change the text to specify where it is programmed to send the player toward.

I could have made a fix for it with the rest if i had realized a few days ago.

:wink: but yeah, during the harder bugged versions of the game, that little event did help me get my fearless snacker.

1 Like

does it always end in a set number of turns? i don’t really understand how to get a level above 6 before i can only choose the exit…

Yeah, you move through the dungeon, then retrace your steps. The arrow points which way you’re traveling.
I think the point of the game is to try to see how big you can get in such a short trip.

…I hope this game gets continued after the Jam, it’s definitely in my top 5.

2 Likes

OH THE ARROW DOES SOMETHING? Shit, no wonder I thought this thing was way too short.

Nope, never mind, that just happens at the midpoint of the game.

yeah, this was the main gist of it. The set size for the dungeon was always the plan, but overall if we do expand on the idea, the main goal would be to add a few more dungeons after the first one :slight_smile:

Well, maybe it wasn’t the most clear, it mostly tells toward which end of the dungeon you are heading.

An upgrade to it would be a clear indication of how long you have still in the dungeon.

Ooh, I got it, in the post-Jam version, you’d still have the return trip like normal, BUT at the end of the dungeon, there’s a staircase down to get deeper and into the harder levels.
You can only turn back at staircases, so you have to decide whether you want to risk going deeper, or turn back now.
Continuing deeper into the dungeon means better rewards and harder fights, but you have to fight through all the floors you passed through before you can finally leave.

1 Like

I officially announce that this game won’t be developed further, as both artist cannot feasibly be employed further on the project.

For now, consider this project the final form of the game until further notice.

4 Likes

I loved this!
Fun loop and adorable art!

2 Likes

Will you add new content and weight levels to the game, or will you launch bug fix updates and leave the game?

There will be no more updates.

There is only one bug known in the final version, mostly related to having a full inventory.

I suggest playing this version if you only tried the first version!

I wish you a wonderful time playing the various games from the game jam!

3 Likes

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 240 |

| Writing: | 160 |

| Concept/Design | 995 |

| Msc: | 170 |

| Total: | 21665 |

Comments:

I have to admit a that this game is a fun little dungeon crawler thats great for just relaxing a bit with. There are some UX issues, like it took me a bit to figure out you where moving left to right and the highlighted squares where your options instead of a standard NSEW room to room movement you see in most. Would have also like to see the weight used a bit more mechanically though it is cool there are puzzles that take your weight into account. All in all I could see this game be developed into a fun little time killer.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 223 |

| Writing: | 0 |

| Concept/Design | 942 |

| Msc: | 85 |

| Total: | 21360 |

Comments:

Good art. Interesting ideas. Hope the project gets expanded!

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 170 |

| Writing: | 70 |

| Concept/Design | 365 |

| Msc: | 80 |

| Total: | 20770 |

Comments:

This game is extremely unituitive, though the gameplay loop is simple enough that this isn’t a major problem. I felt like there probably should be some logic to how I progress through the map, though it honestly felt random even if it wasn’t actually. If you had made it more clear, it would make optimizing a run make a lot more sense. The overall interface could also be tweaked to make it a lot more clear what’s going on as far as what stats do what.

Overall, I think the basic strokes of this provide a good foundation, but it needs some work on helping the player understand what they’re working with. Also, the theming was, in my opinion, somewhat weak. Yes, technically, the food giving you the stats fits the bill, but its the bare minimum.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 225 |

| Writing: | 180 |

| Concept/Design | 1045 |

| Msc: | 150 |

| Total: | 21730 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 210 |

| Writing: | 200 |

| Concept/Design | 710 |

| Msc: | 120 |

| Total: | 21330 |

Comments:

Short but sweet and very replayable. I can imagine coming back to this plenty to see how high a score you can achieve. Would love to see where this game goes from here, it has a lot of potential with its cute art and avenues for exploration.

Scores

Art: 1068

Writing: 610

Sound: 515

Design: 4057

Total: 106855