E-Roguelike: A weight gain and inflation roguelike in progress.

You can use ‘/help’ to get the full list, but I should copy/paste it somewhere. Good idea.

Weird. Can you copy/paste the exact command here?

Oh ha ha ha I left out the word “position”

I was putting together some NPCs for later use. One of them I think I’ll have to throw away because she has… problems.
Godot_v3.2.3-stable_win64_2020-10-25_20-10-05

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Status update. Not too much done this week because I’ve been so busy with other work. Looking at the ‘todo’ list, there are things I’d like to change.

• (Low Priority) Clothing, so you’re not wandering around naked. Would be nice if clothing would rip and pop and such.
  • (Medium Priority*) Much more detail in the language generation, especially the body description.
  • (Medium Priority) Lots of body-specific tuning. Right now, after eating too much it’s easy to be full for days.
  • (Low Priority) When someone runs just /eat, give the choices for nearby food. Having a multiple-choice capability will be useful later if we do something like have a shopping trick.
  • (Medium Priority) Hearing system. Right now any NPC anywhere doing anything is shown. We shouldn’t replay actions to the player for NPCs that are too far away, and like wise NPCs shouldn’t be able to hear the player if they’re far away.

The hearing and language generation feel like they belong together. I need to think about a good way to do NLG. Most of the solutions right now aren’t particularly awesome and I’m reluctant to use an external library because it will tether the game to Windows. At the same time, I want players to be able to /say things to people so that NPCs can have a real personality. I don’t have much of an idea about how to make this work yet, but I’ll probably try a few things and go with what works best.

The other thing that’s really missing is actual gameplay, like fainting and stuff like that. There’s no real combat and no scene transitions. Really, the “game” is mostly just a set of ideas for models and characters and an excuse for emergent behavior.

What I should do is finish core gameplay stuff, like HP/combat, scene transitions (like moving between maps), and save/load. That might be the next thing to do while I’m figuring out hearing and language generation.

1 Like

Didn’t get much time to work over the weekend, but I did get this new model made. Originally I was going to include it as a new NPC, but might make more sense to replace the player, since the player model looks really bad now in comparison to all the others. There are also a lot more morph targets so squish and stretch the character. Problem is it’s only a female model. I’ll have to paint the morphs to make it into a male or make a new model. Maybe the second one, since it will be easier.

2020-11-02_22-01-46

It can be a little bit of a dangerous road remaking things rather than moving forward, so I’m not going to make the decision now. I have some ideas for how to move forward with the actual gameplay and started working on the ‘combat’ mechanics. Aiming to get a release together for Friday, but we’ll see how that goes.

2 Likes

If you do end up remaking the model, you could repurpose the old one into an NPC or enemy. It would maybe make the effort with the old one feel less wasted. Good Luck

Status!

I started work on the hearing system and made some changes to the language generation system. It’s a little slow, even though I’m only updating a half-dozen systems.

I’ve started thinking a little more about the combat system. I really didn’t want this game to be too focused on combat, but more on exploration, but an intriguing idea of making inflation a part of the combat system intrigued me. I need to try a bunch of different ways of making that work before I commit, especially if it means adding extra parsing to the systems [think retyping /attack cupcake over and over or me having to handle “at” for all the keywords]. Maybe I’ll add support for “at” anyway. Ugh.

There’s not enough new stuff to merit a new build upload, but when I’ve got a change in generation or something that’s visually new I’ll make an update with that.

Nitty-gritty details:

• Change the return type of actions to a new class ActionResult instead of String, so all the generation happens when we go to print the message. This means messages will be different if they’re happening to your character or if your character is doing them. Instead of, “Human went right,” you’ll get, “You went right.”
  • ActionResult also has some flags, like, ‘is_speech’ which I can set to true if someone is saying something to another person and, ‘is_sound’ which I can set to true if something is making a sound. This is a two-birds-with-one-stone thing which can lead to talking with NPCs and NPCs hearing you make noise.
2 Likes

One more update. No new playable build. I’ve been incredibly busy with work and haven’t had the free time for fun things like this. The small bits I have done include replacing the old Open Game Art tiles with some purchased assets and making an interior generator.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about work eating your free time. So far this looks dope, can’t wait for a new playable build!

will the weight gain be just all or can you make it gain on specific body parts?

Haven’t decided yet. When I was first planning it out I was thinking that different people would gain weight differently, but I’m trying to keep it simple at first.

i cant get anything to spawn on the map, im even putting in a location and i always spawns off the map

Can you copy-paste the command you’re using?

/spawn x - position 50.50

Two dashes and no space for named arguments. And no period between x/y. :slight_smile:
/spawn x --position 50 50

thanks for the help :+1:

I had a little time to work on things today. I realized I was spending far too long on the interior tileset and on things that really didn’t contribute much to the gameplay, so I’m stepping back and trying to get saving and loading done. I’ll need those to be able to correctly swap levels and change maps anyway.

1 Like

A small update. Couldn’t work up the motivation to do save/load, but I did work on getting the new model into the game. I have to wire up all of the MANY different morph targets and I need to write a script to control them, but it’s something! Shown here VERY full:

3 Likes