E-Roguelike: A weight gain and inflation roguelike in progress.

[Author’s Note: Look at the updates on the bottom of this entry for the latest links or look at the new itch page: https://captainstupids.itch.io/accident-in-the-alchemy-lab ]

Features:

• Procedurally generated levels.
  • Inflation and optional bursting (no gore, will be toggle-able).

Plans:

• Clothing, so you’re not wandering around naked.
  • More detail in the level generation. Right now it’s pretty limited.
  • Save/Load.
  • NPCs to stuff or inflate.
  • Crafting and trading.

Update 0.1.0:

Update 0.1.5:

Update 0.2.0:

Update 0.9.0:
This game is now available from itch.io in addition to Mega: Accident in the Alchemy Lab by captainstupids

Update 0.10.0: I guess I should keep these updates in the same format as the release numbers.
See the latest update details here: E-Roguelike: A weight gain and inflation roguelike in progress. - #69 by captainstupids

Status Update (no release): E-Roguelike: A weight gain and inflation roguelike in progress. - #81 by captainstupids

Take a look at how much it has changed since v0:

=== Previous Op Post ===

I’ve been working on a weight-gain roguelike for a while, mostly prototyping and hacking away at things and experimenting with systems. I finally found things in a state where I’m happy enough with them to show something to the public.

First, some screenshots:
v1 2020/10/10-ish:

The current plan is to have both male and female inflation and weight gain available. Both are in the current build but there are no items or creatures that will inflate the player, so the only option is weight gain.

The motivations are TrapQuest, Tainted Elysium, and that furry WG game from a while back. I wanted to try and pare down the transformation and furry content and add in some more roguelike elements, particularly on the proc-gen and emergent behavior side.

It’s still very early days, but this build has randomly generated levels with a randomly generated male or female character.

The input is keyboard only and 100% driven by /command type inputs, but there are some handy default bindings, W, A, S, and D for movement. You can rebind these with “/quickbind h move left” and stuff like that. Or try /help.
Latest build:

Previous build:

Features:

• Enemies which will kamekaze stuff you.
  • Ability to stuff other NPCs or yourself.

Plans:

• Character creation.
  • Much more detail in the language generation, especially the body description.
  • Lots of body-specific tuning. Right now, after eating too much it’s easy to be full for days.
  • More detail in the level generation. Right now it’s pretty limited.
  • Commands to ‘use’ or ‘interact’ so you can interact with more interesting world objects and doors to move to new places.
  • Save/Load.
  • ‘say’ command to talk with NPCs.
  • Hearing, as part of the language generation.

I’m only working on this in my limited spare time and, as is always the case, this might end up in the graveyard, but it seemed like it was worth offering.

40 Likes

Very cool looking game! But how do we gain weight? There doesn’t seem to be any food around.

1 Like

No random food yet, but try ‘/spawn apple --position 50 50’ and ‘/eat apple’. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely gonna keep this idea on the radar, looks promising!

Having a hard time seeing if your character gains weight

1 Like

call me dumb but what do you mean by pare down? guess you mean reduce?

This looks like it has potential. Honestly, when I first saw the grid, my mind went to a turn-based management game, similar to Monopoly or Billion Road. Anyway, good luck with making this!

1 Like

try doing this command /spawn donut --position 50 50

Well I was gonna post the image of me not being able to eat when I typed /eat donut but the site’s not letting me

Gonna’ update the running todo list:

• Enemies which will kamekaze stuff you.
  • Stuffing others.
  • Lots of body-specific tuning. Right now, after eating too much it’s easy to be full for days.
  • ++ When someone runs just /eat, give the choices for nearby food. Having a multiple-choice capability will be useful later if we do something like have a shopping trick.
  • ++ Add a command ‘give’ to offer stuff to people.
  • ++ Inventory. Need to be able to ‘take’ or ‘pick up’ to be able to give. ‘Drop’ would be good, too.

Just thinking out loud. Phrasing all of these as action words to implement might help speed along development.

There’s also a think where when more than one donut spawns, the new ones get funky names. That’s probably going to happen with anything else that appears, so I’ll have to think of a better way to handle names. I’d also like to get some better language support. How do people feel about the third person “Player eats” versus the second person, “You eat”? I really like the second person, but it might be hard to do since humans and all other things in the land use the same command setup.

2 Likes

2nd person is definitely preferred for me!

New build: 14.67 MB file on MEGA

NEW/DONE:

• Add a command ‘give’ to offer stuff to people.
  • New command to ‘stuff’ or ‘feed’ other actors. Right now there’s nobody on which to use it, but the new character, the Kamakupcake (cupcake) will feed itself to you if it sees you.
  • Inventory. Can ‘take’ or ‘pickup’ to be able to give. Can ‘give’, ‘drop’, and soon, ‘discard’.

TODO:

• Clothing, so you’re not wandering around naked. Would be nice if clothing would rip and pop and such.
  • (Maybe won’t do.) When someone runs just /eat, give the choices for nearby food. Having a multiple-choice capability will be useful later if we do something like have a shopping trick.
  • Hearing system. Right now any NPC anywhere doing anything is shown. We shouldn’t replay actions to the player for NPCs that are too far away, and like wise NPCs shouldn’t be able to hear the player if they’re far away.

BUGS:

FIXES:

• Names will no longer get weird if there’s more than one copy of something on the screen. Now ‘/eat donut’ will always eat a donut if there’s one nearby.
  • Every player was sharing the same mesh, which means if one gains they all gain. Oops.

One thing I’m giving more thought to is the visuals. The whole thing was mostly meant to be driven by language and interaction, but I find myself picturing at least some more graphical aspects at times.

4 Likes

Being able to rotate the camera or see the different angles of your playable character would be really nice

2 Likes

Moving around will (should) change the direction your player is facing. I’m working on a little camera movement now but I’m getting a nasty jittery bug with the camera. Just have to throw more time at it.

Another bug: I just realized I’m not capping fullness or constraining the body’s morphs to the fullness, so you can get some pretty ridiculous results from eating.

2020-10-24_09-40-28

4 Likes

Is there a full command list, somewhere?

No matter what position I put in the /spawn command, whatever I spawn appears far off to the northwest, beyond the map.

You can use ‘/help’ to get the full list, but I should copy/paste it somewhere. Good idea.

Weird. Can you copy/paste the exact command here?

Oh ha ha ha I left out the word “position”