E-Roguelike: A weight gain and inflation roguelike in progress.

I would love it if there were ways that are not wide enough for certain widths.

Also in the plan! :smiley: If you see the room layout with the weird asymmetric columns, that was a sizing test for the character fitting. The collision rect gets bigger as she does.

hey been somewhat following this for awhile since that early proto you uploaded, things have certainly improved since then, this has huge potential. no pun intended

not sure about the body though i like big bellies and fat butts but i assume the fat model is still being worked on.

1 Like

I hope to, yes. I don’t know where to work it in to the mechanics yet.

A new release is out!

You can get it on itch here: v0.10.0 Released: New Room Type - Accident in the Alchemy Lab by captainstupids

Or on Mega: 221.86 MB file on MEGA

Copying and posting the notes from itch.io:

It wasn’t clear if there was enough new content to merit a release, but I didn’t want to sit on this any more. v0.10.0 is uploaded and features a few new additions:

• A new ‘wooden study’ room type.
  • Counterspell mechanic changes.
  • More mood lighting and darker hallways.
  • RESPAWNING POTION !
  • Transmutation Traps.
  • More movement inertia.

It’s not clear which of these are worth keeping. The hallways feel a little too dark to me now, but I like the general mood. At least the global light was a little much. Future versions will probably play a little more with the exposure and contrast.

Respawning potions was something I really debated about. I want the end game to be something only a select few people get to see, but it’s still challenging enough that I find myself losing at about the half way point, so I’m not too worried. The game is really heavily luck based now, and I’d like to make that not happen, but I’m not sure what to do mechanically to accomplish this.

Transmutation traps were originally going to be ‘emergency healing pads’, but instead I decided to make them into traps, so if you’re running around too fast and not paying attention you can run over them and they’ll increase the rate at which your character fills. Maybe you want that?

Speaking of moving around, people had complained about the player being too slow, so I made a small change. When the player blows up more, she’ll get lighter and faster, but you’ll lose the ability to make sharp turns. Be careful with those transmutation traps!

Lastly, counterspells will now reduce the player’s size by about 10%, so you can stay in the dungeon longer. I didn’t really want the player to deflate because it might trigger dialog to happen more than once, but it’s worth trying.

3 Likes

It keeps crashing my whole computer

i can confirm that but it only happened once for me

i have tried 3 times i have no idea as to why but i think it has something to do with talking possibly

:confounded: Oof. What are your computer specs? (OS, Graphics Card, CPU, Ram) My guess is that the game is using too much memory. When does everything crash?

If you hold the Windows key and press R you’ll get a ‘Run’ dialog. If you type ‘dxdiag’ and hit enter it will give you your system specs like this:

dxdiag_2021-05-02_17-00-50

no its not really a big issue with me it only happened once and it runs like a charm

I have an i9 and 16gb ram but I’m not sure I wanna install a fetish game on my main system. :confused: do you think it will work fine with an i5 and 8gb ram? Also does anyone know if it will run on integrated intel graphics?

I can run Skyrim with like 150 mods so I don’t think it’s my computer it might be but I’m able to play it. It’s random and nothing is really happening

New thoughts, but no new updates!

Some things I need to do based on feedback:

• WG Content
  • More lights and more diversity in rooms
  • More actual gameplay

Mechanically, I’m pretty happy with how it is. I think there could be a little more tuning of how the player moves at bigger states.

Something I was considering adding back was fairies in small bottles. If you knock over the bottles, the fairies are free and will cast spells to blow you up or fatten you up.

I’m thinking of adding a ‘miniboss’ in the maze. Really, just a portly lady who wanders around and whom you can offer food in exchange for working towards a cure. That should satisfy, in a small way, people that want more weight gain in the game. It also gives an end state, which is needed.

And as a fun interaction, if you can bait the fairies into fattening the portly lady…

2 Likes

The fairy thing sounds fun

Great interest

:sweat: I hope not to disappoint. Had some time last weekend to do some work but I’m not happy with any of the changes. I need to take a vacation or something so I can work on this more.

1 Like

Some very small updates, just so people can see what I’m doing. Not ready for a new release yet.

1. A UI. I was resisting this on the grounds that it seemed like it was breaking immersion, but I don’t think I can push back on that any more given the next couple of things I want to include. For the next release, it will just show how full the character or how close to popping you are.
  2. The main character model’s hair was higher poly than I realized, so I changed that which should help with performance a little bit.
    blender_2021-09-11_10-31-03
  3. I added render portals (not in-game portals; it’s just a developer term) which should greatly improve performance at a cost of a slightly longer start up.
  4. I started modeling the fairy jars, but I’m not happy with them. Going to block in the behavior to see how it feels.
  5. Crafting, which was originally going to be part of the project, then got removed, is going back in. This will probably mean some tweaks to how quickly the player blows up. It adds more depth to the gameplay. More on this below.
  6. Dialog and dungeon NPCs to satisfy the weight gain angle. This is another thing that was available at the start but got removed. UI means this is okay.
  7. Animations are terrible still, but this is lower priority. I have a problem here because it’s really distracting me but every time I go to fix it I lose hours and am still unhappy with it.

Going into more detail on number four, there are a few components that need to go into a good crafting system. The crafting loop, search + collect, build, repeat, needs to add to the gameplay. Things you craft should let you have an easier time finding things or let you explore more areas. It needs to be minimally grind-y and maximally fun, and there has to be a diversity of items. I was/am having problems thinking of ways that crafted items could make it easier to unlock regions or find more stuff. Maybe I don’t have enough mechanics to support it yet.

My thinking was that I’d have a small set of items that you could find in the dungeon and a medium to large set of ways to combine them. I started working on a crafting table where you would draw alchemical symbols to transmute stuff into other stuff. This way, you’re not really bottlenecked (pun!) by what potions you find but you still have to explore and read to find what you need.

I need to prioritize these a bit instead of working on them at random, but also I like working on what I feel like.

5 Likes

Hello, hello. I have this problem where the texture and character model is all messed up. I haven’t seen anybody complaining about this so, I’m not sure if it’s a problem from my side.

Nonetheless, the concept is great and I’d love to see what flourishes up out of it!

1 Like

That’s happened to me too. Not sure if it’s just incompatibility with GoDot, though.