Eat The Dungeon General Discussion

I… question the strength of that mech.

1 Like

Engineer’s power was at 1996 for both stats. Funnily enough, not even maxed out.

1 Like

It feels like I’m playing the game wrong but I don’t think I am. Around the time of Sea Voyage the difficulty seems to jump dramatically. Enemies get so much health that it seems like the only way to clear stages in a reasonable amount of time is to grind the absolute hell out of your capacity/metabolism/speed to that you can deal with the massive intake of food.

A stage in particular that feels off is Golem Army. In it, golems sometimes show up 9 at a time, and each one has a health of 58 physical, 50 magic, and 14 agility. So you’d probably want to target their agility, but the only characters who can do so are the Thief, who’s single-target and also targets health, and the Illusionist, who hits all enemies and also targets magic. So you’re either chipping away at the golems one at a time while gaining fullness fairly quickly, or hitting them all at once and gaining an absolutely heinous amount of fullness. It seems like I should be able to take advantage of their agility, but there’s no actual winning move other than grinding. And these enemies show up in similar configurations in regular basis on subsequent levels

1 Like

What’s your team composition? I’m rather experienced with this game, I might be able to help.

1 Like

I don’t run a consistent composition. I keep everyone leveled and build around the stage.

How do you efficiently handle the aforementioned scenario with the golems and similar situations where there’s seemingly no way to avoid dealing huge amounts of redundant damage?

1 Like

Sadly, one thing to keep in mind is that is KO’s are inevitable. Without insane grinding for upgrades, they can and WILL happen. Generally, the easiest way around this will be to upgrade metabolism, as upgrading that stat doesn’t take much to leave a noticible impact. I would also recommend the use of characters such as Bard or Dancer to support other attackers and keep them going. As for the golems, your best bet will likely be thief or Illusionist (you wouldn’t have monk yet at these stages), and considering the latter is pretty broken, you have good options. You mentioned that Illusionist gains an incredible amount of fullness, but keep in mind that she is still clearing an entire room at once. It’s worth it. Even then, Thief is still not a bad option, being able to clear enemies more consistently, with lower immediate fullness gain.

1 Like

Well, one thing to remember is that the game is still in development, and bewildered_angel is constantly being forced to tweak one thing or another every time something new gets thrown into the mix. The game is also incredibly numbers focused, to the point that a balanced playthrough simply isn’t really possible, at least not for long. The enemies are far too varied as you progress through the levels, forcing you to jump from one strategy to another often at the drop of a coin.

Best combo I’ve found is the Witch, Thief, Bard, and Priestess. The Witch and Thief are my heavy hitters with lots of focus on power and speed, My bard gets all of its points dumped into metabolism and speed so it can process any food it absorbs from the others quickly, with the occasional shot of power, and my Priestess gets a fairly round-robin setup in stats, since usually she can take on the few monsters that the Thief and Witch can’t and take loads off of the others when the Bard is KOed.

Not a perfect setup, but gets me through a fair amount of the game without having to resort to the tried and true “hit-it-until-it-dies” tactic.

2 Likes

I guess what gets me is that it frequently seems like an encounter is well-suited to a certain character, like the golems seem like they should be countered by the Illusionist, but because you gain fullness from each damage type, it’s not actually a good counter and the lack of a real counter dramatically increases the amount of brute-force required. It’s like those encounters were designed for a version of the game where fullness doesn’t double-dip (though that’s never been the case, to my knowledge). But I might be off-base, it’s not like I’ve closely examined each stage to see how common situations like that actually are.

2 Likes

I maintain a dev schedule here, in the “about Bewildered Angel” section: Bewildered Angel is creating Art and Games about chubby women | Patreon

1 Like

Eat the Dungeon Update v0.11.5

This contains everything I was able to accomplish during my journey through Hell-December and Hell-January. It’s the technical stuff for cutscenes, as well as the dialog for the first six levels. I didn’t have time to do any NPC art, unfortunately. That will be in next week’s update.

Thank you everyone for your patience and please join me in wishing that the rest of the year is lot easier than this month has been!

1-28-22-4

12 Likes

The cutscenes are great! I also really appreciate the extra buttons to let you “re-watch” cutscenes so players don’t need to restart to see them (plus it’s generally a very nice qol thing to have). One small thing I want to mention is that they might look a touch nicer if the text box didn’t disappear and reappear for every new line of dialogue, instead only disappearing for each change in character speaking. You’re doing a great job though, and I’m glad you made it out what sounds like a rough two months in tact!

1 Like

so Glad you are posting again :hugs: :blush: :relaxed: :hugs: nice Dialogs

1 Like

I do like how the portraits also reflect their current state, in a way visually it is different depending on how much they weigh (also can’t wait for Gretel, wonder how she’ll fit into all of this or why she is helping them in the first place).

2 Likes

It’s been a REAL long while since I last played this but I gotta say, it’s improved a lot. So far my favorites design wise have to be these four plus the illusionist, the ranger and the thief.

Though if I had to pick a top three, probably the Spellblade, Knight and Ranger. Honestly though they’re all great.
Edit: Something I forgot to mention, I like the little details as their size increases. Like how the Engineer breaks her harness then just uses a mech.

4 Likes

I thought about this but I just didn’t have the time.

Yeah December and January were rough I can’t wait to get back in schedule

6 Likes

I’m excited to see what 2022 has in store for Eat The Dungeon.

2 Likes

I really love the Psychic’s design! If I had literally any skill at drawing I’d absolutely draw her taking a well-deserved nap on a pile of “pillows!” However, I do have a minor question: why doesn’t she also deal Magic damage as opposed to just Holy damage, being, well, a Psychic? Also btw what with her cross attack, Holy strength, and Vegetable favorite, she’s great in the later levels, if a bit slow to attack, to the point that it’s pretty easy to get her to even 10 tons, or 9.07185818871 tonnes for you Br*tish folk. Anyways, she’s cute and w i d e and I like her. Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 6.12.37 PM|690x387 Oh, and also it might be cool to add a creature compendium of sorts in the next update!

1 Like

The sheer amount of tabs on your browser scares me…

4 Likes

It had better. Tabs shall be all that remains.

1 Like

Will this game ever be available for download instead of just a browser game? As it stands now, I’ve found it often difficult to start the game without it just locking up on the title or assets not loading, or taking a very long time to load, I think this has something to do with internet connection.

1 Like