Fatty Platformer - Choakchai's Entry

Alright, well I managed to rush a game out before the jam ends so that’s gotta account for something. Here’s a little platformer, it doesn’t have a end goal besides just collecting all 8 of the trophy chefs hidden throughout the level (Hopefully I didn’t make them impossible to get). It’s not the most interesting thing, but I hope you’ll like the aesthetics atleast.

(Ver1.1, Win64: FattyPlatformer-GainJam2020Ver1.1- By Choakchai )

*Now possible to get to the far off island
*Trophies now emit light
*Jump pad at the top of the mountain does not yeet you to the 4th dimension as hard

Currently I’ve been having a issue implementing the switch characters functionality into the finished packaged, I’ll be trying to see if I can whittle it in, but if not I hope that this’ll do for now. For instructions press the escape key to bring up the pause menu with key bindings. There’s no sounds for the game, so don’t worry about adjusting the volume. I hope you enjoy it somewhat!

24 Likes

I got these two error messages, when attempting to run it. Since the thing you distributed doesn’t really give me anything to install, I can’t really say I can fix this one.

1 Like

Those are some really great character models! Though at first I was slightly terrified when your “guide” started waddling towards me until I realized what I was looking at. The movement felt fairly good and I didn’t have too many issues doing the platforming.

6 of the 8 trophies are fairly easy to get, one per island and usually easy enough to find, though I wish they glowed or something to make it more obvious in when it is laying by itself.

For the giant spire mountain, I did have some issues. I did not know for a while that you could pick up and drop the yellow flan so I was stuck for a minute or two but even with the flan some of the jumps are particularly difficult. It is hard to get the running jump start you need to get to the very top of the mountain off the purple flan. The purple flan that I think is supposed to take you to the isolated island yeeted me off into the abyss and the game soft locked so I won’t know what happens when you get the 8th idol until I do a full run again.

Overall I thought the game played well and had some of the best 3D models of any of the fat games I’ve played, just need a bit of polish to make the game shine.

Hey I appreciate the kind words. it means alot! I admit I spent alot of the time doing the models instead of actually coding fun game-play mechanics. I got word previously that the flan at the top of the mountain throws you in the completely wrong direction, so I’ll make sure to pop in a version that properly takes you there! I appreciate you taking the time to look at it!

1 Like

I love the models, but i wish the main character started off skinnier instead of 350 pounds, just so it makes the weight gain more impactful.

Yeah I feel that sentiment. I didn’t really give much thought about the character model when I was designing it for the game jam. But I agree that having a skinnier character starting out would be better, I’ll make sure to think of that for the next game jam. Thanks for trying it out!

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do. I’m new to packaging products, so I’ll try to work a version where you can run it. You may need to reinstall DirectX/DirectX9 to run it, if my research it correct. I’ll do some more research on alternative ways!

I fear no man, but…that thing…

…it scares me.

5 Likes

Damn, I wasnt expecting a 3D game! Really fun, you’ve got my vote!

I feel like I should also try and give some suggestions for improving the game since others are doing it rather than just saying it’s a great game. I agree that starting out skinny would make the gain more impactful. And maybe increasing the visual weight limit past 900 (though I will say I was surprised it even went that far, pretty amazing!), and maybe there could be temporary abilities that expand the character to correspond with a power, like huge boobs for a speed increase, a huge butt for a jump increase, a giant belly for double jumps? Anyway, hope I gave you some good ideas, I really liked the game and hope you win the game jam!

The map is way too big. “Find the golden things” doesn’t give a clue of where to start or how to reach where they are because there’s no markers or path indicators of any kind, and just randomly wandering from island to island and searching every square inch of them is exhausting when it takes 2 minutes of just running to get anywhere. And I can’t find the actual weight gain mechanics in the game if there are any.

1 Like

It’s great to see more and more 3D WG games being developed in Unity.
I was thinking how to tweak the game a tiny bit and make it so weight gain would have a greater impact on the gameplay, basically I think the idea of a character getting too heavy to make jumps would be appealing in a WG platformer and the game should revolve around it. I noticed your game already nerfs jumping a bit as you get heavier but it really is an optional part of the game and you can completely ignore eating and gaining if you want to. I would change this and make it the games core (unavoidable) feature.
Like others have already said make player start out skinnier but make her very fast and agile at this weight and as her weight increases she would lose a bit of speed and jump height. Next, instead of just collecting “golden chefs” and stuffing yourself randomly on plates of banana flan, make it so the “golden” items we have to search for around the map are the food items (you could still make them gold/glow so they are easy to find), and instead of throwing them in your inventory you eat them immediately as soon as they are found (this would be the unavoidable consequences part), with each food item consumed it would gradually make the player irreversibly heavier and slower, resulting in a greater challenge to reach certain areas on the map. Hide the food around the map, some easy to reach but place others in hard to access places that become extremely difficult or even impossible if the character gets too fat and heavy to jump up to them, if you eat all the easy to reach ones first you would not be able to clear the level of food and you would get a less desirable ending. If you wanted the best ending you would have to put some forethought into it and find the food in a certain order, to reach them all you’d go for the hardest to reach places while skinny, agile and able to jump super high and save the easy to reach ones for last when your character is so fat that they’d be reduced to a waddling gait and a small bunny hop.
Really love the model you used and the walking/running animations. I hope you continue making something with these assets, even if it’s not a platformer, the model you created really is pretty great.

Any hopes of uploading this game on any site other than Mediafire? I’m always getting garbage speeds when I want to download something there.

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 350 |

| Writing: | 115 |

| Concept/Design | 500 |

| Msc: | 180 |

| Total: | 21145 |

Comments:

The control of the character is very well done though and it was quite a joy to just jump around and the 3D models where quite high quality. With all that though there is really not much content there game wise making it feel like a tech demo, though I see hints of what may have been the original concept. That all being said though it gives me some pikmin vibes though and I could see it being really fun to try to coordinate a group of fatty subordinates to reach new areas. All in all I would love to see this turn into a jumping off point for something as I can see the possibilities.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 251 |

| Writing: | 187 |

| Concept/Design | 585 |

| Msc: | 60 |

| Total: | 21083 |

Comments:

It’s good to see more 3d projects! One of my biggest comments would be that the platforming felt very floaty and frictionless, which made precise movements nearly impossible. And nailing a jump, only to slide off multiple times is definitely frustrating. Still thought. The world was very pretty in a minimalist, 3d render on a 90s folder way.

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 375 |

| Writing: | 240 |

| Concept/Design | 780 |

| Msc: | 80 |

| Total: | 21475 |

Comments:

This was an extremely ambitious project. Platformers are hard, 3D platformers are extremely hard, and I feel like this one suffered from some fairly common problems such as floaty controls and imprecise collisions, though this wasn’t really enough to bother me until I got to the bouys. The jumping is way too hair triggered and imprecise to require the player to land on so many precise spots in a row, or you jettison them back to the start. On that note, the entire map could have been shrunk immensely, as it was tedious to get around, even with the purple flans to speed things up. The assets were enjoyable, and the scope of the project was impressive, but it definitely needed some fine tuning. It also only kind of used the theme, as the only things I could see that were different at different weights (once I finally figured out how to use the flans) were the bouys would break and you’d get launched higher. I felt like there was never a time I needed to be heavier, and with the breaking bouys, I was being punished for it.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 315 |

| Writing: | 215 |

| Concept/Design | 560 |

| Msc: | 120 |

| Total: | 21210 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 350 |

| Writing: | 330 |

| Concept/Design | 1370 |

| Msc: | 180 |

| Total: | 22230 |

Comments:

The characters were fun, well written and a blast to interact with. The 3D models were gorgeous and the jiggle physics were divine. It felt like a platforming sandbox with a gilding of fatness. It was a cool idea to have the character bounce higher the heavier they were and have the method of getting fatter also be a tool on its own so you had to decide if you had enough to spare. I really hope there will be more after the jam and I look forward to your future work!

Scores

Art: 1641

Writing: 1087

Sound: 0

Design: 3795

Total: 107143