Favorite game styles

We all played games before, I mean, you are on weight GAMING right now lol. The point is, out of all these games, what is your favorite style? I like 2d a ton, and pixel is a personal favorite, but I honestly am not a fan of 3d realistic, as I feel it ruins the magical vibe of games, but, to each there own I suppose.

Anywho, again, what is you favorite style? do you like 3d shooters? 2d fetish games? maybe you like card style, maybe you are into mobile, possibly flash-like games, and, hell, maybe even text games!

Anywho, feel free to comment on this if you want, and have a swell day! ;D

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of text adventures because they allow you to imagine what you believe is happening rather then showing exactly what is happening, but I also dislike very vague sentences in text adventures because it doesn’t really give context to what’s happening and leaves way too much to the imagination. The best text adventure games stay on the fine line between interaction and storytelling.
I’m also a big fan of 2d pixel art games.

2 Likes

i do Love action rpgs, Turned based strategy, and a recent like of visual novels and Indie games that really think outside the box, i use to love more Major main-line games such as Dragon age origins or WoW but in recent times they have really let the standards of creativity slip even with these super big budgets they have and honestly the investors just want what works will eventually come back and haunt them…

1 Like

turn based combat, probably brought about by a love of games like baulder’s gate and fallout 1 and two. second up would probably be the old dos platformers like commander keen and bio menace.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of RTS games despite the fact I’m pretty trash at them, there’s something so neat and fun about commanding an army no matter how big or small the scale of the game is. I doubt that you could really make a fetish game out of an RTS though, but hey I’d love to be proven wrong.

2 Likes

Man, I remember dragon age origins, that game was the shit man. Hell, I still play it, 11 years later.

1 Like

I play only multiplayer game and my preferred is RPG with community on private server were rp.
My second is MMORPG.

And my preferred style of gameplay is building.

PS : It’s 3D game with beautiful/sexy characters

1 Like

I think my favorite style is the open-world, exploration, puzzle, and collectathons. I enjoy taking my time to explore the world at my leisure and find secrets strewn about the map. Which is probably why I like 3D platformers and Metroidvania styled games. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is still my most favorite Kirby game to date for this reason. I do also enjoy the RPG skill tree mechanics some games provide, since my MMO was Runescape, not WoW. (X’D)

However I do have a list of fav games (besides Kirby Mirror and Runescape): Age of Mythology (RTS), Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2 (pre-EA, Match Shooter), Marble 3D Blast (Momentum Platformer?), Super Mario Sunshine (FLUDD! :D), Deadcells (Rogue-Lite), Pokémon franchise (Though the recent ones are kinda annoying me…; Turn Based), LoZ: Breath of the Wild (Open World Zelda), Minecraft (Building Sim), Smash Bros. Ultimate (Fighter), Red Dead Redemption (Open World Shooter), Mario Kart Tour (Gacha Racer), LEGO Dimensions (Collectathon with too much DLC, RIP wallet), Sunset Overdrive (Zombie Shooter), State of Decay (Zombie Survival), Rampage (Arcade), Gain Ground (Top Down Shooter), Professor Layton series (Puzzle).

There’s probably other games, since I play on any console, and can be a sucker for gimmicks. Sunset Overdrive sold me on it’s “RADICAL” and “TUBULAR” themes that the commercial was selling. Some for nostalgia like Super Mario Sunshine since that was like the coolest game when it came out. Age of Mythology I had since late Elementary since the Mythos selling point was so cool (Also rebought it on Steam XD). And sometimes for ease of access for a quick game, like Mario Kart Tour (I’ve been playing since it launched over a year ago X’D).

If we want, I can also discuss some fav table top games (since they just need to be ported into a video game). Settlers of Catan series is my favorite resource managing turn based strategy, so much that I have all the base expansions and other expansion sets for it X3. Boss Monster is a fun turn based card dungeon builder, again I nearly have all the expansions. LEGO Heroica maybe a simple TTRPG, but it’s simplicity and possibility to expand upon it is why I like it so much! It’s defunct, but still trying to get all the sets. TBH, it’s one of the games I want to make a video game version of… But preoccupied with my current projects (XP). Blockus is a fun competitive puzzle game, but I guess I’m pretty good at it because I’m pretty boss at Tetris (>ω<). Risk being a strategy conquest is fun with a group and hoping the tide of battle changes to your favor by a roll of the dice before you get overrun.

I guess I’m gravitated towards table top games that can either be modular and/or simple setup. Even though I do enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon card, MLP:CCG, and MtG games, I like games that are “complete” in the sense that I would prefer no Meta setup. Deck builders are fun, but can make it hard to invite someone who has never played to come and enjoy a game without meta-randomness adding to the frustration.

Sorry, what was the question again? I was just writing what games I enjoyed and lost track of what I the topic was mainly about (Xp) Hope I didn’t get too off topic in my ramblings.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, have a good day!

1 Like

I enjoy simple, arcade-style games with gameplay that’s easy to understand but can also be taken to extremes in terms of difficulty. It’s a format that I think meshes well with fetish games, especially when time limits are imposed to push for frantic, risky play. In my experience, a game that is fairly challenging without being overly complex tends to be best played in a trance-like state which complements the enjoyment of fetish assets. To give some examples, I liked squarewave29’s language learning game, onikunosato, and lachevite’s Overstuffed Overtime for all offering this sort of play. It’s a design philosophy that I’d like to explore in future projects, although it seems to turn away people who want a more leisurely experience.

1 Like

Platformers in general, whether it’s 2D or 3D i usually like them, RPGs and strategy games i also enjoy even if i’m not good at them

1 Like

Generally things like 2D platformers, RPGs (as long as they’re not made in RPG Maker), and the occasional mobile game…

3 Likes