Gain Jam Community Highlights: Presentation

You thought discussion of the Jam was over? You thought wrong!

Welcome to the Community Highlights portion of the show, in which I invite you all to share your best bits from the Gain Jam over a range of different topics!

With a month past since the Lo-Cal Gain Jam’s completion, I would imagine most of you reading this post at this stage would have by now tried playing most if not all of the games available so this is an opportunity to share your discerning views as to which games really grabbed your attention and deserve to be in the spotlight. This can be from describing your experience with a whole jam entry writ large, down to the smallest segments or details that caught your eye!

Why are we doing this? Partaking in the Gain Jam is all well and good, however developers also earnestly look for feedback to their work and so this year we’re going to try something a little different. Relying on your collective input broadens the lens in which we view these games, helping to provide new insights and potentially stoking new interest in a game which might well have been overlooked by the individual. Also it can also help inform those who haven’t been able to play the games to such an extent!

So, enough preamble! For the topic of this Community Highlight reel, we’ll be discussing…

Presentation :heart_eyes: :notes:

Which games delighted your senses the most? From amazing art and animation to sumptuous sound and music design. It doesn’t have to be flashy visuals either! Good clean interfaces and layouts can also be championed here as well!

Tips when posting:

• Consider the idea as much as the game! Because some entries were presented in a more or less complete state, this shouldn’t impact your opinion when viewing them through an objective lens. A good idea that didn’t stick the landing overall should still be recognised for its good idea - it can always be worked on!
  • Be impartial! Not every game is going to appeal to your interests so you may need to take a broader view and look beyond one’s own interests.
  • Be attentive! The best embellishments are sometimes the smallest and subtlest details that allow for natural ease of play - and sadly often go unnoticed as an unsung hero. If you find yourself getting relaxed as if playing a regular videogame, ask yourself what is allowing that to occur?
  • This thread is for highlights only. This isn’t the place for comparing participants and their entries, making tier lists etc. If you wish to highlight more pointed critique for a specific entry, please do so in the respective Gain Jam entry thread.
  • There are no right or wrong answers here as to which games are best or most deserving. Please respect other peoples’ opinions and adhere to the Community Guidelines as you normally would.
1 Like

While there are undoubtedly games that were a visual feasts I want to highlight some of the smaller details I picked up:

The dynamic soundtrack of Mr. Worldwide: The arcade dating game really elevated the experience for me. Awesome sound design!

Similarly, the inclusion of a soundtrack really improved the experience of Idol Maker: Refined Palette. The seamless transitions in audio between locations which shared the same bgm was a nice touch.

Feed The Dragon had some delightful sprite animation for the characterful dragon!

Finally, the interface of Filled to the Limit was as silky as the accompanying smooth jazz. Trying to stop a contraption from blowing up while pumping an inflatee has never been so chill, haha.

4 Likes

I think Dinerbolical was the game that stood out to me with it’s polish, very slick and all the little animation details and motion put a lot of impact behind everything you did in the game.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the compliment! I felt Diner Miner was a pretty clean submission as well! Really shows off the largeness through visual and gameplay.

1 Like