Game Pitch - A Corpulent World, and what I've been doing.

I initially started on my own project, making an introduction to a game, trying to heavily modify the combat system and some things like that. In spite of my humble progress, I’ve now decided to scrap it and start over with RPG Maker MV. For one it’s the newer program, but one of the driving motivations for me was the ability to have a larger game window, as well as the larger default sprites which will fit at least somewhat better with the relatively large-sized halfkaizer assets. Just to reiterate for anyone still using VX ace; the window cannot be resized past 640x480, however MV has that functionality.

For my own project, I have a whole lot more ideas than drive to actually make something unfortunately. It’s likely I’ll never be able to produce anything past a few rare sprites which I’ll on occasion share here. If I am able to make it though, here’s a summary of what my plan is:

The game world is afflicted by a curse called the corpulence. Overeating and indulgence is trending due to a greater demon escaping into the material realm, and seeping their evil into the people. The player controls a chef which is by coincidence recruited by the demon to fatten up and steer others to hedonism and indulgence. Super simple plot and setting, but it sets the tone hopefully, and the game will (if ever made) most likely feature force feeding and unwilling weight gain.

Goals I hoped to incorporate into the game:

• Combat is super simple, with values than anyone can get a quick grasp of. Two values, health and fullness, which are managed in order to overcome opposition. You can win traditionally, or by overfeeding the enemy. Combat based on preparation, as certain enemies will be weak to certain food types, and food must be managed as a resource.
  • A lot of characters, important and minor will have several stages of weight gain, and the player should try to figure out how to fatten up as many of them as possible.
  • The player can also gain weight, though this is almost always inconvenience. Areas will become inaccessible, the player’s movement speed is reduced, and other characters will be more hostile. These inconveniences won’t be overly annoying, as this still aims to be enjoyable.
  • No game over screen, but rather a loss will lead to another outcome, which could for instance be the player gaining weight instead of the opponent.

Though again I’m starting over with this, and I don’t expect I’ll make a lot of progress. Maybe once I’ve gotten more of the sprites down, I’ll feel more comfortable putting effort into the actual RPG Maker program to make content. In the meantime I’m happy to take feedback, so I can adapt, as I’m fairly early on in the process unfortunately.

1 Like

the game sounds like an interesting idea

it does, hopefully it will be finished

[quote=“Vollerei, post:1, topic:842”]I initially started on my own project, making an introduction to a game, trying to heavily modify the combat system and some things like that. In spite of my humble progress, I’ve now decided to scrap it and start over with RPG Maker MV. For one it’s the newer program, but one of the driving motivations for me was the ability to have a larger game window, as well as the larger default sprites which will fit at least somewhat better with the relatively large-sized halfkaizer assets. Just to reiterate for anyone still using VX ace; the window cannot be resized past 640x480, however MV has that functionality.

For my own project, I have a whole lot more ideas than drive to actually make something unfortunately. It’s likely I’ll never be able to produce anything past a few rare sprites which I’ll on occasion share here. If I am able to make it though, here’s a summary of what my plan is:

The game world is afflicted by a curse called the corpulence. Overeating and indulgence is trending due to a greater demon escaping into the material realm, and seeping their evil into the people. The player controls a chef which is by coincidence recruited by the demon to fatten up and steer others to hedonism and indulgence. Super simple plot and setting, but it sets the tone hopefully, and the game will (if ever made) most likely feature force feeding and unwilling weight gain.

Goals I hoped to incorporate into the game:

• Combat is super simple, with values than anyone can get a quick grasp of. Two values, health and fullness, which are managed in order to overcome opposition. You can win traditionally, or by overfeeding the enemy. Combat based on preparation, as certain enemies will be weak to certain food types, and food must be managed as a resource.
  • A lot of characters, important and minor will have several stages of weight gain, and the player should try to figure out how to fatten up as many of them as possible.
  • The player can also gain weight, though this is almost always inconvenience. Areas will become inaccessible, the player’s movement speed is reduced, and other characters will be more hostile. These inconveniences won’t be overly annoying, as this still aims to be enjoyable.
  • No game over screen, but rather a loss will lead to another outcome, which could for instance be the player gaining weight instead of the opponent.

Though again I’m starting over with this, and I don’t expect I’ll make a lot of progress. Maybe once I’ve gotten more of the sprites down, I’ll feel more comfortable putting effort into the actual RPG Maker program to make content. In the meantime I’m happy to take feedback, so I can adapt, as I’m fairly early on in the process unfortunately.[/quote]

At some point I’m going to start dumping stuff in the resource thread, you and everyone else are free to use them however you want. From what you described it sounds like your game is going to have 1 player character. You might already know this but it’s MUCH easier to do this kind of stuff with 1 character as apposed to a party system, so this was probably a good choice as it will make creating things take much less time.

I’m hoping that it’ll be more than just fattening up women. I’d like to see more men.

I’m definitely flexible in terms of adding some men in there as well. As far as I had originally had in mind, more or less every type of character will eventually grow bigger as the game world becomes more ‘corpulent’. Though I could reasonably add in scenes where you get the choice of playing it out with variations, like F/F, F/M, or M/M. This would only be scenes, as making the game playable with either a Male or Female character isn’t something I think I could, or would even want to put in the effort to do. Though I won’t make grandiose claims, as even though I can enjoy M/M content I’m predominantly interested in women and as such will be more motivated to work in that direction.

However, when it comes to the state of things in general I’m realizing I’m a ways off from really churning out something playable. Since switching from VX Ace to MV, I lost my interest for a while due to having to redo a lot of the work I had already put in. Though I realize MV is honestly the better choice and works much better with the half-kaizer sprite models, which I intend to use for all characters. This is very much just a pet project of mine, and so far I’ve been contently fiddling with spritework and not really worked much on the systems that would support the sprites appearing in game. All in due time, hopefully.

Will there be non-human characters?

Non-human characters might require substantially more work. Especially so characters that should move around, but don’t even have a human ‘shape’. Making elves, sprites, dryads, shapeshifters, and stuff like that would be a lot easier because I would only need to sprite a few extra features on top of a human template. Currently a fully fledged character requires something in the range of 28 individual images to represent their movement, stages of weight and similar. This is discounting sprites that are just mirrored, such as walking right when I’ve already made the left facing sprites for example.

So will I make anything that isn’t even human-looking with that level of detail? No. Gotta be honest, that’s not happening. Though you can suggest things, and I could possibly see if I like those suggestions enough to either add human-esque variations, or simpler scenes that doesn’t require fully fledged movement, or any such.

HOWEVER.

This all assumes that my game gets to the stage of being playable. :stuck_out_tongue:
Right now I’ve downloaded a bunch of scripts, and will start to look at applying them in such a way that combat becomes more or less the way I intend it to be like. And do note that I claim absolutely zero spriting experience prior to this project, though I’m starting to ‘warm’ up to it. Though I’m still very much relying upon modifying other sprites, or using references for the time being, and even then it takes me ages even to get a single sprite done.

EDIT:
Quick note about this, since two similar questions were asked. I will most likely only put in significant work towards something that I can personally enjoy as well. That’s just a feature of my work style, and where I draw my motivation from. Fortunately I’m relatively flexible, more or less nothing ‘disgusts’ me, including guro or scat at the most extremes (Though I don’t particularly like either), and I can enjoy a wide range of kinks.

Hate to hijack Vollerei’s thread but how inhuman we talking here? I had planned to do a monster village at some point in the future, and I need to know what kind of stuff people want.

Hate to hijack Vollerei’s thread but how inhuman we talking here? I had planned to do a monster village at some point in the future, and I need to know what kind of stuff people want.[/quote]
Speaking for myself I’m really quite content with monstergirls. Though I think in order to please ‘most people’ it’s easier to err on the cautious side. Full on furry content could possibly discourage some people, but a set of minor animal features should be okay in most people’s book. I also personally think that everyone most likely has enough of a tolerance not to ‘shy’ away from those things. So if you want to make monstergirls particularly ‘monstrous’, they can probably just sit through the content they don’t enjoy without much of a complaint so they can get back to what they see as the good stuff.

On a completely different note I sat down and started to recreate the tutorial that I had already made in VX Ace, and it struck me that the very first text, which is basically just setting exposition might be something worth posting here.

A bit of text, explaining the world of this game, which hopefully might one day release in a playable format:

[Spoiler]A young girl has decided to set out into the world by
herself. So far she has made a humble living outside
of most cities, by preparing and selling delicious
meals and foodwares. Her specialty, and her dream has
always been to prepare pastries for a living, but
unbeknownst to her even this simple goal will lead her
to countless complications in a strange and bizarre
adventure.

This is the world of Terrene.
It is not however, the only world known. And
allthough Terrene houses the people of the world,
providing a wonderful and fantastical landscape for
it’s various populations to thrive, there is another
place.

That is the Otherworld.
Otherworld is the birthplace of magic, and home of the
demons; beings that sustain themselves on passion and
energy, living and breathing in a malleable enigma.
Just as we require food for nourishment or air to
breathe, so too do they need primal energy.

Lust, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride …
And Gluttony.

Normally they cannot live for long without an abundance
of magic, but lately a strange sort of disease has
crept up on the land. It’s not an illness of the lungs,
and does not threaten death. Rather it’s a sickness
of the mind, a strange foreign desire that overpowers
the reason of the Terrenian people. It fills them with
an insatiable hunger, clouds their thoughts with need
for food, and tempts them towards abandon with
reckless hedonism. And the more one lets those desires
take hold, the stronger it becomes, infecting neighbors
and eventually whole towns.

The scholars have simply taken to calling it…
The Corpulence.

Yet.

The young girl, our protagonist; still knows little of
this impending danger. And unwittingly, she has set
herself on a path which will lead her to become a
demonic instrument. The only question is, will she
spread Gluttony? Or be tempted to embrace it?[/Spoiler]

I feel a bit bad for just having the world center around a generic demon-plot, but I swear I wrote this before I had any idea RPGMakerstufferpers and Avakann were doing similar things. :o

Hate to hijack Vollerei’s thread but how inhuman we talking here? I had planned to do a monster village at some point in the future, and I need to know what kind of stuff people want.[/quote]
Speaking for myself I’m really quite content with monstergirls. Though I think in order to please ‘most people’ it’s easier to err on the cautious side. Full on furry content could possibly discourage some people, but a set of minor animal features should be okay in most people’s book. I also personally think that everyone most likely has enough of a tolerance not to ‘shy’ away from those things. So if you want to make monstergirls particularly ‘monstrous’, they can probably just sit through the content they don’t enjoy without much of a complaint so they can get back to what they see as the good stuff.

On a completely different note I sat down and started to recreate the tutorial that I had already made in VX Ace, and it struck me that the very first text, which is basically just setting exposition might be something worth posting here.

A bit of text, explaining the world of this game, which hopefully might one day release in a playable format:

[Spoiler]A young girl has decided to set out into the world by
herself. So far she has made a humble living outside
of most cities, by preparing and selling delicious
meals and foodwares. Her specialty, and her dream has
always been to prepare pastries for a living, but
unbeknownst to her even this simple goal will lead her
to countless complications in a strange and bizarre
adventure.

This is the world of Terrene.
It is not however, the only world known. And
allthough Terrene houses the people of the world,
providing a wonderful and fantastical landscape for
it’s various populations to thrive, there is another
place.

That is the Otherworld.
Otherworld is the birthplace of magic, and home of the
demons; beings that sustain themselves on passion and
energy, living and breathing in a malleable enigma.
Just as we require food for nourishment or air to
breathe, so too do they need primal energy.

Lust, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride …
And Gluttony.

Normally they cannot live for long without an abundance
of magic, but lately a strange sort of disease has
crept up on the land. It’s not an illness of the lungs,
and does not threaten death. Rather it’s a sickness
of the mind, a strange foreign desire that overpowers
the reason of the Terrenian people. It fills them with
an insatiable hunger, clouds their thoughts with need
for food, and tempts them towards abandon with
reckless hedonism. And the more one lets those desires
take hold, the stronger it becomes, infecting neighbors
and eventually whole towns.

The scholars have simply taken to calling it…
The Corpulence.

Yet.

The young girl, our protagonist; still knows little of
this impending danger. And unwittingly, she has set
herself on a path which will lead her to become a
demonic instrument. The only question is, will she
spread Gluttony? Or be tempted to embrace it?[/Spoiler]

I feel a bit bad for just having the world center around a generic demon-plot, but I swear I wrote this before I had any idea RPGMakerstufferpers and Avakann were doing similar things. :o[/quote]

Oh look someone who actually knows how to write and doesn’t just throw bricks of exposition an people like I do. As for all of us picking the same demon plot, Our settings are pretty fantasy biased, so it makes sense that we would all have picked like a demon or an evil wizard or something.

lol yeah I think it’s because the demon plot is easier to deal with than some other ideas, for example I originally had the idea of an alien but I had issues finding meteorite animation (hence why you find the demon under a rock, which probably confused people why it wasn’t a shrine or something)