Game, with text, mechanics, features of sorts (hiatus)

So, one issue I have with this that I can’t let go is that the text is misaligned.

Clipboard02

I think you can see the problem pretty clearly here. You need to make the window a little wider or reformat the line breaks in the text. It’s really annoying to read it like this.

That is actually the standard Windows terminal, which can be resized by the user. In my infinite laziness, I never gave the game its own separate window. Accordingly, you should be able to either full screen that terminal window, or you can drag the edge of the window to widen just like with a normal minimized window of your internet browser. Once you do that, the text should look prettier. Let me know if that doesn’t work!

Yeah, it doesn’t actually widen, unfortunately. It’s something weird about when you open a window that uses the DOS prompt thing. That’s as wide as it’ll go.

Not sure what you’re writing the game in, but you can actually re-size the window in the code. There’s a property for the CMD window size that can be changed. Of course, nothing’s stopping the user from changing it after that, but you can at least set a specific, known size so that the text matches the box by default. I was messing around with making an ASCII GUI, so I’ve already looked at a lot of this stuff. I know for a fact that you can do it in C#, but other languages can probably do it as well.

1 Like

Concerning! Maybe I did something to torture my computer’s terminal in the past. I will look at setting the window size manually, as @ChairInTheRoom suggested. The game is just plain C, so I will have to look at the atrocious documentation for whatever the command is to set window size. If it is a simpler fix, I will throw in a resized console window with the next update.

Has it been 7 months since I updated here? The site says so, and although I still lack a new content update (shame!), I can report on what’s going on and make a request.

I have been going insane in a cycle like this: stomping bugs for a couple days, dropping work on this for a month, and then returning for another few days until I am disgusted again, ad nauseam. Something is failing somewhere with my saving/loading utility, and for some reason it is anathema to me. Practically everything else I wanted for this update is done, give or take some fringe-case playtesting and editing the dialogue, which makes this way more annoying of an issue to my rotted brain. I also do not want to release without a save utility, since I do not want to playtest the new content without the timesaving loading feature incomplete.

If anyone viewing this thread is experienced in C and wants to help me chase down an insidious seg fault so I can finally release the next update, you should message me; I will include something degenerate of your choice in the area after this one or some other sort of bounty. I wish I could offer something more attractive, like money, but I am poor, and this is the best I can do.

If no one wants to descend into my digital dungeon in this fashion, then I am going to have to wait till my work slows down in a couple months and port all my code to Python, where I function as a complete God of time and space, and forcing a file to save is a mere cantrip to me.

Oh, yes, and for anyone still interested after over half a year, thank you sincerely.

6 Likes

Here is my quarterly update: I managed to receive some advice from @Haileyslover73 on fixing the saving issue, so I did not entirely have to port my code over to another platform – many thanks to them for that! The next version of the game is largely complete, although I have not stress-tested it yet, and I expect there will be some bugs that I have not found accordingly. I also need to iron out one last bug in the saving utility, which is that NPCs do not load properly. A consummate professional would work to fix these issues before letting even a glimpse of the game see the light of day.

I am not a consummate professional, so I am going to post an early version of the game as it stands right now, and fix the issues that crop up in the coming weeks. I just wanted to post something in an effort to break my radio silence before this topic turns one year old, as I may get busy again soon before the anniversary, but there is content here that I think people will like if they liked the previous version of the game. Consider this an unstable release, but it has much more fetish content than the previous build, as well as more content period, so it may be worth your time. In addition, in order to prevent other computers from thinking this game is a virus, and to allow for multi-platform compatibility in the laziest way possible, I am just posting the source code for the game and you can compile it yourself. I recognize this is an objectively evil move and increases the effort that the user needs to put in to play the damn game, but I have been compiling the windows version of the game off of an old laptop which runs Ubuntu, and that is currently dying, so the move to source files is partially motivated by the fact that I do not want to wrestle with MinGW right now.

Get the next version of the game EDIT: from the OP of the thread. I have bundled the source code with the current premade .exe and all future versions will come with it as well.

1 Like

I wish I had any idea how to start this. Also is the new update IN the game file yet? How do I update it? The windows defender thing didn’t happen, it just won’t open it. But it didn’t delete it. I gotta say it seems like the game is legit, but refusing to name anything makes it look more shady

Will have I give this a try

The reason it will not run is that it must be compiled by something that understands C code like MinGW or Visual Studio, which will then pop out an .exe you can run. Before, I was generating the .exe on my end so you guys did not have to do any work, but I have inexplicably turned evil and did not do that this time. I had to use my slim amount of “smut game programming time” to work on some stupid minor content issue instead of setting the program that allowed me to make the Windows specific exe file back up after the near complete destruction of the laptop I was working on. The process is horrendously annoying, though, and if you wait a few weeks, I will just update the OP with the precompiled .exe that your firewall will again eye with suspicion.

could we possibly have a link to ncurses? i tried google but all im seeing is stuff for linux.

Okay, I’m just very confused and frustrated that it’s calling it a trojan multiple times lol.

yeah ive got no clue how to compile this. i found nucrses and downloaded it but im lost from there.

Had a brief moment of empathy and realized this is perhaps monumentally annoying and technical. I wrote up a short guide on how to compile the source code if you do not want to risk becoming an unwitting Bitcoin miner; it is now in that mega folder I posted earlier. I also bit the bullet and made a compilation of the source code too, so that if you do not mind Windows Defender screaming at you, there is a ready to play game – again, it is probably buggy! The source code is in the previous mega folder, and I have added the compiled executable to the OP of the thread. Forgive me – I sometimes forget how annoying this stuff is to deal with and in my head a couple hours ago it sounded tolerable.

thanks, but it crashes after the message about the guards dropping you off at the town of rime.
edit: going to see if it still crashes when compiling it myself, if the guide helps.
edit 2: the mega link is broken.

I uploaded the wrong version of the game, tee hee. Try it now and it should(?) work.

it works! thankfully it was as easy as just the wrong version

so, i’ll just keep updating this message with bugs i find.
bug 1: damage is way too high, new game and i can kill the boar in one hit from my sword, its 115 for the normal strike. if i had to guess its just a case of a extra one where there shouldnt be, as the strong strike deals a normal amount of damage.
bug 2: if you save and exit in the priest room, then go back to the campsite, the encounter of first finding lost hope replays.
bug 3: the dryad event appears to be unfinished. you gain no weight from it and the option to sneak behind the dryad is still there.

I’m unable to load a save - it displays “passed title screen func” then crashes/quits when I attempt to do so.

That said, I’m happy to see the continued inspiration here - I liked the beginning and writing when it first came out, and from what I’ve seen so far of the update it continues to be solid.

1 Like

Thank you for finding the bugs! The first one is simply due to me forgetting to place the game in regular mode instead of test and I cannot believe I missed that. The last one is an easy fix too and I will upload a fixed version shortly. The second one is due to the general bugginess of the save utility, although this is a new bug to me, and I am grateful you pointed it out. It will likely take me time to get that one fixed, though. That utility singlehandedly delayed this release by over half a year.