Gaming General Questions (New ones every few days)

You know, most of the subjects so far have been either positive and/or humorous. Let’s get somewhat demented.

Who is the most vile character you’ve seen in a video game?

I have three runner ups:
1: the Player in Undertale’s Genocide route. YOU. KNOW. WHY.
2: Dr. Weil of Megaman Zero 3 and 4. The mastermind behind a war that eliminated 90% of all Reploids and 60% of all humans. All because of his lust for power and his unending HATRED.
3: Junko Enoshima of DanganRonpa, A.K.A. Ultimate Despair/Super High School Level Despair. The mastermind of the Biggest, most Baddest, most Despair Inducing Event in the History of All Mankind, started b the mass suicide of nearly 3000 reserve course students at Hope’s Peak Academy

So…That’s…pretty high standards. I think people might find my choice somewhat baffling. But then again, causing pain to a select few can have more impact than atrocities committed on a mass scale.

The point here is Dahlia Hawthorne.

In a lot of ways, Junko and Dahlia probably could switch positions because they did similar things when you think about it. But then again, Junko, despite being a depraved psychopath hell bent on causing despair for the sake of despair, was endlessly amusing and hilarious.

Dahlia has no such benefit. She manipulates everyone to help her, the only ones who never fall for it being Mia Fey and Diego Armando. She set up a fake kidnapping to make off with a 2 million dollar diamond, nearly got Phoenix killed, and cause hell in the entire final trial in Trials and Tribulations.

Despite the fact that the culprit of Bridge to the turnabout was SPOILEREDSPOILEREDSPOILERED Dahlia is the driving force behind the entire trial, her entire existence and the manipulations and plotting of Morgan Fey being why she’s involved. Of course, Dahlia could give two shits about Morgan and does everything she can to drive Phoenix to despair for no real reason other than she wants to break the spirit of Mia Fey.

Revenge is a huge motivator for her. And to think for her, it’s all pointless. Both Dahlia and Mia know this, though Dahlia is doing everything she can to deny it. In every way, Dahlia is an absolute monster. The three runner ups have things that ca be enjoyed about them (Except Undertale’s player, that’s…something different and more complicated.) Heck, even Weil’s pure hatred made him interesting in how much he despised the concept of a hero (Giving us the most epic speech ever from Zero).

Dahlia is just a pure, unrepentant demon who failed in everything she did.

You guys are greatly disappointing me with the lack of evil characters. I’m letting this run a bit longer before I change the question. I find myself greatly interested in who you people think was the most fucked up person in a game.

Welp, no responses. I’m moving on to the next. Let’s keep things evil.

Who is your favorite villain.

For me, it has to be-

Hello there, Silvy!

…Hades, WHAT are you doing here???

I could ask you why you’re having a conversation about villains without yours truly. I mean, that’s just in bad taste!

Who says I was even going to talk about you?!

Oh please. The fact that you wrote me in here means that you were thinking of me the whole time! Who else would you say? Dimentio? GLaDOS? Or…erm, what is that lame cop’s name? Oh right! Adachi?

Well…I would probably say Dimentio!

So then why isn’t he here? Face facts, grey lizard-

Silver Dragon!

Not like there’s a difference. The fact is that I’m your favorite villain, and there is no denying it. After all, I DID steal the show in Uprising, didn’t I? Why else would I be so popular?

I…er…

Oh, seeing you squirm is so adorable! By the way, have you gained weight? You seem puffier than normal. Ol’ Grimmy’s lifestle isn’t rubbing off onto you, is it?

Just- GO HOME HADES!

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

headdesk, muffled groans of mental agony
(I think I made my point)

I probably should be worried that people no longer answer this stuff, but I like doing this kind of thing, so I’m moving on.

Who is our favorite female video game character?

(I felt the need the specif a gender because there really are way to many to just say who is your favorite.)

Context theme - - YouTube

“When things look their worst, you have to put on your biggest smile”

There aren’t too many characters who affect people both in and out of a game. Even fewer who are both good characters (Alignment-wise) who drive an entire game nearly on their own.

Then there’s Mia Fey. Someone I consider to be the driving force behind the Phoenix Wright Trilogy for Ace Attorney.

Honestly, there’s almost too much to say about Mia. Sure, she’s witty and a bit of a wise cracker, but she has so much compassion to her. After all, she took on two nearly impossible cases (Terry Fawles and Phoenix Wright) and proved their innocence. (At least in Wright’s case. See above for m thoughts on Dahlia).

But the moments that shine out for me are when Mia interacts with Maya. There’s such a deep bond between them that not even Mia’s death stops Maya from living by her sister’s actions. Even to the point where it’s revealed Mia became a Attorney so she would fight Maya over the Kurain Master’s seat.

And that’s not mentioning how Mia completely and utterly broke Dahlia in the middle of Bridge to the Turnabout by reminding said evil spirit how much of an utterly pathetic failure she was.

And of course, Mia still influences the series, really, through Phoenix. He was her successor, And Mia lives on through Wright’s turnabouts and his own compassion. Hell, Phoenix’s plot against Kristoph in Apollo Justice had shades of Mia in it.

In the end, it because she believed in the truth. As she once said, “The truth will always make itself known.”

For favourite female character, I’d have to say Female Boss #1 from Saints Row 3 and 4. I find the dry sarcasm and apathetic attitude towards most things hilarious.

A bit late for this, but my most hated game character is ‘Buzzo’ from LISA. Mutilates children, possibly somewhat responsible for the apocalypse, torments you for something he seems to blame himself for… Etc…

1. Favorite villain? Probably Golbez from Final Fantasy IV. He basically controlled the course of the entire game.

2. Worst designed boss? Final boss of Jet Set Radio Future (Rocker Rokkaku Gouji). Some aspects of the area of the battle are really cool, but it can take hours to make it up to the top and then you have to drop down to refill on graffiti cans. The boss itself is really simple and basically a pushover.

3. Most difficult game played? Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. La-MULANA has so many layers of challenge, but Thracia 776 basically requires you to become somewhat masterful at the game before you get halfway through it. Thracia 776, despite having the highest level of annoyingly random difficulty in the Fire Emblem series somehow manages to also feel the most fulfilling out of those games and gives you the most motivation to continue. (Fire Emblem games usually make me feel the opposite - wanting to stop when things get ridiculous.) It is probably the music that pushes me forward the most. Thracia’s soundtrack was hard for me to respect until I actually played through the game and did so without trying to cheat with save states.

4. Favorite boss? The Morphs at the end of Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword. (That stage theme is just too awesome.) Ultimecia from Final Fantasy VIII also deserves to be up there - I really had to learn the game to beat her and her castle was already a very cool and challenging area. Then again, there are a lot of bosses and minibosses from La-MULANA who I love and I have played against a lot in Time Attack. La-MULANA’s boss design is extremely intricate.

5. Favorite female character? Heart Aino from Arcana Heart. She is basically my role model. After her would probably be Julia Chang from Tekken, Seung Mina from Soul Blade and Sonja from Advance Wars.

6. Funniest moment? Probably something from Earthbound, Undertale, Arcana Heart or Persona 3. Comedy is so scarce in games that I never really remember it existing. It might just be the book in the Snowdin Library (Undertale) that starts “Monster funerals, technically speaking, are cool as heck.”

7. Most emotional moment? There are too many. Tia leaving the party in Lufia 2 after the battle with Gades. The last parts of Persona 3 could actually be more emotional than this. In fact, Persona 3 was a deeply emotional game in various moments whereas the rest of Lufia was not a very serious game at all. Megaman Battle Network 3’s ending might just be higher. There was probably something in Breath of Fire 3 that ranks up there. And (I just came across this one very recently) Terry Bogard’s ending in Garou: Mark of Wolves is deeply moving, too. They might all seem equally good to me.

8. Most vile villain/character? This probably should universally go to Undertale (which Silver chose). However, I am more of a fan of the villains of Undertale because the good guys feel underdeveloped and somewhat meaningless in existence except for Sans and Alphys.

Alright let’s get pumped. Music is a big part of our gaming, so what’s your favorite final boss theme?

Deep breath

I can’t do it. As much as I want to put Undertale’s Hopes and Dreams here, I can’t in good conscience, do it. That Japanese madman known as ZUN will not allow me to.

So what’s a theme better than one brimming with hope and emotion? How about one devoid of hope but filled with emotion?

Hata no Kokoro is a very fascinating character, in all actuality. The Lost Emotion serves as both the final boss theme of Hopeless Masquerade and as her theme in general, describing the struggle that a Meneriki made of 66 masks goes through. A being that fights for an identity all her own, separate from the masks that make her up. Given that the plot of the game was started b her losing the Mask of Hope (Technically, Koishi had it the whole time).

And once again, I go back to comparing this to Hopes and Dreams. Said song is filled with this sense of pushing forward, holding on to every last scrap of hope you have. To stay…determined. (Kill me now)

But listening to The Lost Emotion, it has the same sort of push to it, but the thing it’s lacking is the hope in the feeling of it. It’s almost like…there’s no hope.

That, to me, is really powerful. Most final boss themes make sure you know how outclassed you are, but there’s always a force saying “You can do this! Keep pushing.” And for a good reason. The game wants to end on a high note, after all. What better way than to make the player feel pumped.

The Lost Emotion, instead, tells the story of Hata no Kokoro, a Youkai - Technically a Tsukogami due to being an object, in this case a collection of 66 masks, brought to life - who has lost a part of themselves, the part that represents their hope. She now has no control over her power, and is forced to desperatel find a way to restore her lost hope.

In a way, the theme is extremely tragic. And I reall like that about The Lost Emotion.

I mean, Hopes and Dreams is a fuckin good track, but I have another in mind as well.

What popped into my head isn’t really a boss track, but the track for the last level of Hotline Miami 2, titled Fahkeet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyCtfd8w6JQ
It just hit me with a strange, pulsing, warped feeling as I played the level.

for those that haven’t played the game, you play as a drug lord, who has a massive drug trip as “the fans” (people trying to mimic the original protagonist) raid his building of operations. You go through building in during his overdose, the environment and colors warping as you fight abominations representing the animal masks of the fans, while in reality you are killing or maiming them. After killing the last ones on the roof, your character walks out on a rainbow bridge off the screen…or, as it is revealed in a previous mission - though chronologically later - he walks straight off the roof.

The game had a few other jarring tracks, such as Run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogCrEqybu8

Kirby boss music : )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGGVWGJ0ZiM

[quote=“Cryptic, post:30, topic:811”]Kirby boss music : )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGGVWGJ0ZiM[/quote]

Definitely one of my own contenders. :3

Despite how much LISA: The Painful depresses me, I still have to say, the final boss music is actually pretty good.

I would have to say either Cardia Phase II from Trauma Center: New Blood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XziLNeFm1ok

Or Severing the Chains of Fate from Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dG53Vtqhc

Being annoyed can be funny. What bosses annoyed you the most?

Oh say, can you see?
By the Dawn’s early light

God dammit, I want to make the joke but I can’t.

The point is Clownpiece.

FUCK
THIS
FAIRY

Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom shows up again on this post, for a different reason. Junko was on here because her design was poorly executed.

This fucker is here because of her unpredictable patterns and stars and stripes what the fuck.

LoLK has a mode called pointdevice mode, which basically gives you no lives, but instead gives you waypoints that you go back to when you die. It’s pretty helpful as it allows you to see where you screwed up and give ou a chance to fix your mistake.

Until Clownpiece. For Reference. While this may be on Lunatic, it is still representative of the battle on all difficulties.

The main issue is how unpredictable everything Clownpiece does is. Most of the time in bullet hells, you can rely on patterns to be easy to remember ad memorize, allowing you a way through no matter how much you die to them.

Clownpiece does not give you that luxury. All of her patterns are INCREDIBLY unpredictable and tend to trap you in ways most other bosses won’t. Typically in Touhou, if you find yourself trapped, it’s usually your own fault. With Clownpiece, her spells trap you because #lollunacy.

Really the only thing that keeps me going is the awesome music. Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner is pretty catchy.

[quote=“Silver the Dragon, post:28, topic:811”]Alright let’s get pumped. Music is a big part of our gaming, so what’s your favorite final boss theme?

So what’s a theme better than one brimming with hope and emotion? How about one devoid of hope but filled with emotion?[/quote]

I guess that you somehow got infected with what I was feeling - I felt like after answering all of your previous questions, we really needed a music question. If you did not make a music question, I would have requested one.

The song you chose was great. I am not a fan of Touhou music, but this song sounds different from the others I have heard. Still, it sounds “Touhou” enough that I am not sure if I would ever put it on my top favorites list.

My favorite final boss music is pretty hard to decide, but if I narrow it down to two, I think that this song Final Fantasy VIII - Premonition [HQ] - YouTube (technically not a final boss song since it plays earlier in the game)
and this little song Start the Justice ~ Berd Battle - YouTube are my favorite final boss themes.

Other final boss songs that are super awesome - Megaman Battle Network 5 - VS. Nebula Gray - YouTube (“Nebula Gray” [it is harder to find a non-extended version] Megaman Battle Network 5) - Persona 3 darkness - YouTube (“Darkness” Persona 3) - Skullgirls OST #22 - Skull Heart Arrhythmia - YouTube (“Skull Heart Arrhythmia” Skullgirls) - Skullgirls Encore OST - An Oasis of Blood (Bath of Sekhmet) - YouTube (“Oasis in Blood” Skullgirls) - - YouTube (“Diva” Guilty Gear Overture) - Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories - Nitemare 3D Battle Theme Music - YouTube (“Nitemare 3D Battle” Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories) - - YouTube (“Lumine Phase 2” Megaman X8 )

My most annoying boss would be from Donkey Kong 64. Most of the later bosses just sucked, in my opinion. They were too unfair. However, that Jack-in-the-Box boss in the Factory level was possibly the most annoying of them all.

Does Shadow of the Colossus count? Because the entire OST, more or less, is boss battle music (because the whole game is boss battles) and it remains my favorite OST of all time, eclipsing even the Katamari Damacy nonsense that burrowed into everyone’s brains when I was still in school. My favorite track.

I was BIG into Star Fox 64 as a tween. The whole soundtrack was awesomely atmospheric for exploring an alien galaxy, but the Andross battle music was actually very intense and disorienting, as the gameplay shifting into a non-euclidean “planet core” and he weaved in and out like a hypno-wheel. The music for the giant brain fight (the true final boss) wasn’t as memorable, sadly.

The Binding of Isaac has some great gothic boss music, as did the old Baldur’s Gate II series. Jon Irenicus from the latter had another really unsettling boss theme!

Guys, try to focus. I’m asking about ANNOYING bosses this time. We’ve past the music.

Oh, so many…
I remember a Van Helsing game I used to play so long ago… One boss would shoot a stream of painful shots, then teleport, leaving some sort of bomb that blows up a large area, I never beat it, because it was just really cheap, and I think it was the third or fourth boss in the game!

Also, not as much of one, but still a little annoying. Dead Rising 2, and Off the Record’s TK. You can’t use any of the combo weapons you can make throughout the game, as your entire inventory is taken before the fight, leaving you to use the random items scattered about as weapons, so you do less damage, and have to get in close, and stay close to actually fight him, also, there’s a long lead-up to the fight, where you must fight a swarm of stronger zombies, and you can’t skip it, plus you need to go on a sort of fetch-quest to get to this in the first place. TK has to be fought while you have limited weapons and healing, while you also need to take care of his captive so they don’t die!

[quote=“Kostromama, post:36, topic:811”]Does Shadow of the Colossus count? Because the entire OST, more or less, is boss battle music

The music for the giant brain fight (the true final boss) wasn’t as memorable, sadly.

The Binding of Isaac has some great gothic boss music, as did the old Baldur’s Gate II series. [/url]![/quote]

This is pretty derailing since you are not talking about final boss music, but…

it does not really seem fair to say this if you ask the question for one day and go to the next. You were upset about nobody replying before.

When it comes to final bosses, I swear I just about tore my hair out trying to beat the final boss from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. It took me forever and a day to get the timing down, and even then it was really hit or miss, not to mention just how much it takes to actually kill him, never have been as frustrated in a boss fight as I was at that moment.