Gladiatrix - Kitsune~'s submission

Thanks for that! Octopath Traveler is made in Unreal, that one should count as 2D I think.

So, I played the update and I’m really impressed, especially with the art assets. G-glistening…

Anyway, are we lucky enough to be able to call this a great start? Do you have any plans to add more narrative? I wanna find out what’s going on!

Thanks a lot!

As for my current plans, they go something like this:

• Fix any bugs and write Blueprint into c++
  • Update the character sprites and animations
  • Add more Dialog and Narrative for this scenario
  • Implement Skills

In about that order. I can’t promise any date though, as I can’t judge how much time each of these takes.

1 Like

So far seems good but very prone to bugs.

E.G. trying to fight anyone now for me after having my first fight causes a fatal error unfortunately.

Make sure you got the more recently updated download file, if you downloaded the first version you’ll get that.

Where is the more recently updated download file?

It’s the same link, just an updated file.

Alright, a short Update:

I think I fixed the Dialog system, at least I didn’t get any crashed this time while testing.

As you can see, to get the respective Options for Dialog there are now three Icons in the corner.

• Auto: Plays the next dialog line after about 1.5 seconds
  • Skip: Immediately displays all text
  • Options: Opens small window to set the text speed

Using Auto and Skip will be effectively like the traditional skip option in VNs, fast-forwarding trough all dialog, until it ends or an option appears.

[Warning! This link contains the updated game, post contest entry.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QZS9_f5xeKtNwfzcuku2KY2lWTlJ919v

So for the newest version.

On the plus side:
Dialogue no longer crashes the game

On the negative side
Dialogue no longer actually works any of the functions. You say yes to grub she asks what you want and then nothing and pressing anything other than space closes the conversation and space just makes her repeat it.
The same happens with challenging anyone to fight in the arena, they accept and then nothing happens lol.

I am so sorry for that.
I kind of missed changing one variable, so that part no longer got executed.

It should be fixed now.

I apologise.

1 Like

Ive been playing for a little while now and I can say you put in a great effort! I love the game’s concept and it’s made pretty well :smiley: My main gripe with it is it is just too darn DARK! It hasn’t prevented me from playing really but it made it kinda awkward to find the girls especially if they moved into the courtyard area lol. I was a little put off by the lack of a rest mechanic (somewhere to restore hunger if not hp) but I did get used to the system anyway and managed to win fights pretty handily once i got the hang of it :3 The only other thing that would have been nice is just a signpost or two, I did learn the layout after a while but I got a little lost early on :slight_smile: Good luck in the competition!

Latest version did fix the dialogue issue and actions do work.

From what I’ve seen it’s quite good so far.

Now for the bugs I ran into.

More a balance issue than a bug but I managed to get into a state (by using the beds to rest) where all the other gladiators were far fatter than me and were pretty much winning every fight a I did like 6 damage a punch. I dunno if it’s some kind of bug where the other gladiators get fatter each day or don’t suffer the same weight penalty thing you do but it kind of got me inot a state where I couldn’t win, thus couldn’t get food thus couldn’t compete. This might be an issue with having the enemies advancing alongside you quite as fast.

Another issue. I managed to run into a game breaking level graphics bug where my character disappeared and seemingly any time I got close to something interactable it seemed to show a close up of the character sprite. Dunno why it happned but it wa almost like a horror game jump scare moment the close up thing.

Anyway it’s pretty impressive what is there so far and keep up the good work because I think this one has some quite good potential to it.

I know it seems hilarious, but I can’t make my character rest. I press E and Left Mouse on bed, and nothing works. Can anyone help? Thank you!

@Das_Amigos I’ll look into the general difficulty and add an option to adjust it later.
As for the graphics bug, can you reproduce it? Does it persist trough restarting? I currently could not detect any sort of cause for that.

@ddude0 Do you have the lastest version from the thread in projects? If you us the version at the top in this thread that feature had not been implemented yet. Otherwise, are you looking directly at the bed? Your character has to face any object directly for interaction to work.

I can’t replicate how it happened however I do have a save file with it in effect so I can say closing the game and re-loading the save file doesn’t fix the bug. I’ll try to get you some screenshots of the issue later.

Hey, just found out what was causing @Das_Amigos bug, simply when any npc pushes the player into any wall. Reloading a save does fix the issue so long as the save happened before the issue occurred, otherwise you’re trapped in the ghost realm if you save after.

I’m really sorry this happen, it should be fixed now!

1 Like

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 200
Writing: 110
Concept/Design 355
Msc: 25
Total: 20690

Comments:

Its kind of an interesting concept but the current concept feels like it’s a bit half baked with it feeling like a turn-based fighting game. While there is some weight gain in it the mechanic feels more or less tacked on. I think there is an idea there but it needs more refinement and thought.

Kilif Score

Category Total
Art: 110
Writing: 105
Concept/Design 1120
Msc: 50
Total: 21385

Comments:

First off, I’m going to argue the theming is very weak in this game, but it can be argued it technically fits so I’ll give points for that. The game loop itself I found to be fairly tedious, largely because the only two elements in the overworld (that I found) are people that can be battled and then the person you can buy food from, and the two groups are annoyingly far away from one another. Given that there aren’t any other elements to interact with, it seems like condensing the play area would have been a better move. That being said, there were some interesting interactions/mechanics that came from having to battle to increase your hunger so you could eat to regain HP or gain weight. It made blocking relevant as it could be useful to run out the clock. I liked what I assumed was the interaction between getting larger and becoming slower on the battlefield, and that the other NPCs seemed to be getting larger alongside you. I think the game as a whole is a good foundation, but has some fleshing out and streamlining that needs to be done to make it really shine.

Juxtaterrestrial Score

Category Total
Art: 212
Writing: 105
Concept/Design 796
Msc: 81
Total: 21194

Comments:

I like the direction of the art style you took and I like the interpretation of the theme. I can’t quite place why, but i get a nostalgic feeling from it. I think the game is a great starting place for a larger project. The base is there. I’d definitely take a look into balance. When i played it it took me at least a half hour before i could win one battle. That leads me to one of my main difficulties. One of the key frustrations was there is no way to heal outside of eating. That means if you lose 1 hard battle then there is no chance of you winning a battle after without spending a ton of money on food. I think another way to address difficulty would be to add more strategic elements to battles. You can move around a battle grid so perhaps have some squares with attack bonuses or others with defense bonuses. Also there seems to be a magic system intended so that would also go towards adding some depth to combat. Outside of that the world feels a bit empty as well so adding more people to talk to and more things to do would really make the game come alive. I’d be really interested in seeing this game grow. I hope you keep working on it!

Total points: 63269

i wanna say that i really like the concept of the game also i like the artwork. i hope that this game get a great future :slight_smile:

How come I can’t interact with the NPCs anymore?