Going Down - a twisted dungeon crawling game with a twist

Well, now I slowly starve to death instead of quickly?

Hunger yoyo’d up and down with a net negative trajectory. Eventually found an abstinence scroll to again prevent gradual weight loss and managed to keep myself stuff for a while, but was then foolish enough to use a gluttony scroll - gained 5 lbs, but then could never claw my way out of hunger, losing about 20 lbs before getting thoroughly trapped at starving and stuck at 0 health again (gave up eventually).

I’ll give it another try later to see if it’s just bad luck, but what seems to be the problem for me is finding too many food items that barely give you one room’s worth of hunger.

[quote=“Cordite, post:21, topic:1198”]Well, now I slowly starve to death instead of quickly?

Hunger yoyo’d up and down with a net negative trajectory. Eventually found an abstinence scroll to again prevent gradual weight loss and managed to keep myself stuff for a while, but was then foolish enough to use a gluttony scroll - gained 5 lbs, but then could never claw my way out of hunger, losing about 20 lbs before getting thoroughly trapped at starving and stuck at 0 health again (gave up eventually).

I’ll give it another try later to see if it’s just bad luck, but what seems to be the problem for me is finding too many food items that barely give you one room’s worth of hunger.[/quote]

I played for awhile, was doing pretty well until I used a gluttony scroll. You have to have your inventory filled to the brim with food before those are worth it, and even then its a coin toss as to whether or not the food in your inventory will actually fill you back up.

Having messed around with item generation systems, I’d argue there’s a case for more consistent sizes for food items. Some randomness is fine, but the random numbers should hover around a given value. When you grow tomatoes, for instance, you don’t have ripe tomatoes ranging from a few inches to a few feet in diameter. You have some variability, but they’re usually all around the same size.

Still, good progress I’d argue. The game seems a little less punishing (as long as you don’t use a gluttony scroll).

Yeah, I did come off a little too negatively there - this is definitely much better than before. And I believe you did mention earlier the gluttony scroll is more of a curse item, which does give it more sense.

I’ve gone from starvation to a dozen spare food items in a short stretch of time on the most recent build, so if nothing else, I’d say it has an interesting dynamic. It may have been my imagination, but the RNG does seem to stick a little. Several “empty” drops, then five drops that include doughnuts – that sort of thing.

I think the thing the bothers me more is the inconsistent “satiation” value for similar food items, as Kilif mentioned. That’s a logical thing that should be narrowed down a bit more.

Also may have came across a glitch with the “backtracking” feature. I can’t say what the exact trigger is, but after some time I found the “exit dungeon” icon behaved exactly like the “backtrack” icon. For example, clicking the “exit dungeon” icon in level 15 would put me in another random room in level 15, over and over again. I had this happen a couple of different times. The only way to leave was to happen across a outwarp scroll.

Food - right now, every type of food has some base weight and can drop with weight of 0.5x base to 1.5x base. I agree that it is probably too much and will lower that.
coin toss as to whether or not the food in your inventory will actually fill you back up - not really. You see food size and can learn how filling (caloric) which food is (or just look in caloric tables all over the internet). Its worth checking yout food stash before using gluttony scroll.
exit dungeon - there is a chance you get lost when you try to get out. Deeper you are, higher the chance is. You can get lost on any floor all the way up. That chance is not fixed, it depends on concentration (if you are distracted, you get lost). And when you are already lost, you can not get out, since you are lost. You have to explore again a bit until you find yourself. Going down is risk for reward - if you are low lvl with bad equip, you are risking that you may fing better stuff, but will be unable to get out before something or bad luck kills you. (except there is no reward yet. There are only dummies all the way down and chests yield better results than dummies after floor 20 - thats simply not worth your time now, there is not enough content and it is not balanced for gameplay yet)

I know, lots of complex mechanics not obvious on surface. I will have to write sort of guide some day. But when you are not sure what just happened, reading text may help. Most actions and other stuff have some feedback there.

Quick note: update!
https://tfgames.site/index.php?module=viewgame&id=1074
Not much of a new content yet. Just got back to this after HDD crash and IRL stuff.

In terms of WG there is probably less content now, since rich dummy monster was eaten by rats (and so were donuts). Looks like you can stuff yourself only with nuts for some time…

4 Likes

I remember this game! It still has a lot of potential in my opinion. Any ideas on what you’re currently working on?

Right now im trying to fing some monster pictures so that i can put more monster inside dungeon (and better looking rat).
Monsters → ingredients → alchemy → TF (including WG/WL)
Hopefully next build will have alchemy enabled.

2 Likes

May I suggest an option to choose my character’s starting body shape? It’s more than a little obnoxious when RNG decides that I’m not allowed to start with an hourglass-shaped character.

2 Likes

My only issues with it is that it takes ages to leave the “overstuffed” threshold. A waiting feature would be an easy solution. Also so people don’t waste a ton of time like I did, you can attempt to force doors more than the once. Also don’t do what I did and eat whatever you find in-game. The human stomach isn’t meant to handle about 100 peanuts.

2 Likes

you know i kind of wanna throw an idea out here, how about a “scroll of expanding” that has a number of uses. on items, increases their “size”, food items fill more, equipment gets better stats at the cost of having a higher stat requirement/being able to fit larger characters, using it on the player expands them, makes them taller, or expands one of their body parts(boobs, butt, or belly), and using on a monster increases their size making them more difficult to fight but makes them give more exp on defeat
with some possible negative effects on you or a monster if you use the scroll in a cramped area

additionally, would it be possible to have the “look” command give general stats on equipment?

1 Like

Great idea and should be quite easy to implement. But expect random results! Shrinking/expanding will be separate scrolls… but how much is up to chance. Might want to hoard few of each before trying to scale your faithful piece of equipment to new size. Also monsters already support diferent sizes (within reasonable boundaries) so that is also possible (with few changes in code).
Another great thing is that this might soften bad RNG situation with equipment a bit.

As for equipment stats… you cant really know before you try it :slight_smile: Of course identify scroll gives you some hints (prefix being stats additions, suffix is generally curse (negative changes, temporary if stats, permanent if other (not yet implemented, will pose some riks when trying unided equip)))

Right now i reworked digestion a bit and balancing that. Probably will make it a bit faster. Rest feature might be implemented mainly as a way to “regenerate” sice running around on low health (or concentration (did i mentioned combat rework?)) is risky (or will be when some day in furute your character can actually die (or worse)).

Great game so far. Only real gripe is the self examination descriptions needs some work. I can easily overlook beating up the same cartoony rat if the transformation and self examination descriptions are good enough.

1 Like