Grain to Gain: An ASCII Game

How to find the save file to adjust the stats of the player?

1 Like

Apologies for the late reply, iirc it should be in the same folder as the game is in. I’m going to be working on recoding the game, but I will include some form of backwards compatibility for save files if I feel that the new code retains the properties of the previous stats. (I probably shouldn’t be posting since I’m still under a bit of the effects of anesthesia, don’t worry I’m getting better. Abd I do find it rude of me not to reply sooner)

Also I did notice someone asking about recovering/obtaining health. Health is recovered with good night sleeps (8 hours), eating home cooked meals, and showering. (If I remember clearly)

Thank you for being patient and have a nice week everybody!

1 Like

You feeling better, mate? Don’t push yourself too hard!

1 Like

I’m doing better, and I’ll be getting back on track with developing this game after the 11th~12th and after a mini-prototype I wish to hammer out.

And mini-update on me (That could be TMI): I just found out my temporary stent needs to stay in for about 6 weeks… Yay…

is weight loss when not eating on the agenda?

1 Like

I believe currently the only way to lose weight is by traveling/training your speed stat, but looking through my code weight loss seems to be nearly non-existent at the moment.

It’s a neat game but it feels a bit shallow at the moment (content wise). I look foward to any future content in this game.

1 Like

I’m currently working on a prototype for the 2D version (voted by a good majority of y’all on this post). Though it will be awhile due to a sudden life emergency that happened over the weekend that I’m recovering from and the game jam starting soon. I have some basics of it set up, but no gameplay yet, mainly I’m focusing on the character customization right now since that’s going to be the largest backbone of the game mechanics. I’ll try getting something out either before or sometime after the jam.

Thank you for your time and have a good and safe day!

9 Likes

2D version? as in sprites/drawings instead of that art style that makes pictures out of computer symbols?

1 Like

That WAS what had the most votes if I recall…

1 Like

well if the game looked as amazing as it did in the 1D version, who knows how great it would look if it was actual sprites and what not instead of computer symbols arranged to form a picture of your character

1 Like

Ran into a problem with skills, specifically cooking / profession, but others may be affected. When I get to 100 exp, I cannot gain any more, halting leveling progress entirely.

1 Like

Howllo Everyone!

I know I have been a little inactive, but 2019 just doesn’t like me what with a few bad stuff happening recently. Kidney stones finally removed with third surgery and a car crash that totalled the car that I was supposed to inherit.

But I feel like I should let you all know my game plan for this game. I’m going in the direction of the 2D style game, but I’ll reference the 1D style. However, before I update this game I’ll be making an update to Weighting out the Storm and trying out some ideas that I could potentially implement into Grain to Gain (GtG). Once that update is out, I’ll make a proto-build of the 2D GtG and have it hosted on either/both my GameJolt or/and itch.io.

Also, @Ct283 this problem is because I use a function that handles both the Bar stats (Stamina, Hygiene, Hunger) and the Skill/Profession stats. This function has a default cap at 100 unless defined, which is why it displays this behavior. Thank you for bringing attention to this silly mistake XP

Thank you all for your time and have a good and safe week!

8 Likes

Yay :smiley:
i wish you better in the next weeks

1 Like

Ya same get better soon

1 Like

looking forward to this 2D version

1 Like

This is a neat little thing! I just checked it out on a bit of a whim, and it’s a super cute little life management thing. Didn’t expect something with all these stats and stuff.

Good stuff!

1 Like

I don’t know if this a bug or something but when my character goes home after being to tired the game still has the move set to where ever I was before hand

1 Like

game looks nice but. the weight gain still feels slow.
I think having a bakery would be nice. or a sweets shop. the fast food place is cheap. the diner is a healthy middle ground. third is a fatting place that has a mix of cheap and more expensive stuff.
the grocery should really have more stuff. and be less stright food but more ingredients so when your better at cooking you could make bigger meals the also help add weight.
and a hospital where meds can be bought. both health and weight loss (so you can gain the weight all over again

2 Likes

This is an update post since I feel that the new version of Grain to Gain is radically different enough that it warrants a new post, which I have made here: Grain to Gain: A Pseudo-3D Game, and is now going to be hosted on my itch page for now since hosting on this site hasn’t been made available yet: Grain to Gain on Itch.io. As of this post, the ASCII version is considered abandoned. I may sometime in the future come back to it, but until then progress on this is halted. And before you ask, no, there will be no backwards compatibility for the save files since you’ll embark on a new adventure in the newer game. But before I officially request this thread to be archived:

@Silent_Songs It most likely is a bug for the moveset to be the last location’s moveset. Using a bunch of variables to check player location is probably a bad idea in hindsight. And thank you for your suggestions. I hope in the rework version I can make weight gain feel a bit faster than before, but it will feel slow right now since it’s only the beginning (for both the game play and development :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I will make that a resolution for my game, to make weight gaining feel less slow. And if I’m not mistaken, I thought I added a detail for a hospital location on the town map since I do intend to make that a visitable location.

Thank you all for your time, and I hope you are all excited for the new

5 Likes