Heroes on a Budget - Development Back on Track

@shadowfreak
Thanks, I got the big fixed now. It was the second stage of Ophelia weight gain that does it.

@TDG
What’s the problem? Are you saying you can’t download it? Is it that you can’t get to itch, it’s not letting you download once there, or is the download failing?

5 Likes

It was a computer problem.

Though I am wondering, what can I actually interact with?

1 Like

At the moment, mostly the break-in mini game and some jobs around town. You can look around the map that’s currently finished. Once I squashed the reported bugs I’ll update the download link to make what’s currently there more play more smoothly (as well as add some new content).

3 Likes

The fortune teller is getting another function beyond password input she now can tell fortunes. What this means for the player is that if you choose to get your fortune told, you will get a random effect the next day. These effects are things like, getting/losing some gold, a party member gains some weight, increased/decreased enemy encounter rate etc. Getting your fortune told is free and takes no time out of your day. You can also tell the fortune teller that you want her to automatically do readings everyday for you. This is for your convenience if you want these random effects everyday without needing to visit her everyday.

9 Likes

I think it is now time to really kick the chapter in gear. I’ll be working on the main quest until that part of the game is finished. I also might do the two quests related to fixing the bridges at the lake first that aren’t technically required to beat the chapter if I get bored for a little bit.

I’ll upload a build that goes until the end of the lake’s dungeon with the fortune telling system, a fixed spell learning system, and the weight loss potion test subject job in the game.

I am also expanding that potion test subject job to also have a couple other characters trying to combat weight gain. One through enchanted items and another through spells. I got one item already in game that I think you’re going to like.

I also got a start on the rouge’s weight gain sprites. I’m also debating if I want the pudgy size to have a unique sprite as well.

14 Likes

There seems to be a bug where I can’t study any tomes, even though I’m level three.

1 Like

Hey Buizel here! :grin: :grin:

I finally have free time to go back to see what is new in weightgaming, I just saw that you published the first version of the game, I already tried it and I really loved this little preview.

first, the mini-game of robbing houses at night with the rogue
It was good although there were times when I was actually hidden and even so the owners detected me One thing that I thought you could add is other ways of hiding in the house such as entering closets or getting under tables or beds, this could help In situations where you just walk into a room and exactly the owner enters that same room ohh and you could create with that other situations in which the rogue is already overweight to hide in those spots I mean something like the scene of getting stuck in window. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For now the rogue is the only one with a minigame of this style but my question is if the mage and the fighter will have other minigames. Like for example minigames when the mage tries to learn new magic or the fighter enters food contests or things like that? :thinking: :grin:

When it comes to going on an adventure with the 3 characters, the world feels a bit empty but it is understandable because it is the first phase of the game so it’s okay.

In short, I really liked this beginning of the project, although for now it remains somewhat short but that does not mean that it is not enjoyable, I hope you are doing well and that you are enjoying this project because it is really. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

PS: I forgot to mention when I went out at night with the rogue there was a bug in which she did not let me enter some houses and the rogue said that I had already entered that house when I never did.

1 Like

Glad you liked it. Yeah, I’ll definitely consider adding hiding spots like wardrobes later on. It wouldn’t be too difficult a thing to add, and could be useful for raising the difficulty of certain houses when she’s overweight.

The bug of her not being able to enter some of the houses I already fixed, but it’s still in the demo. If you enter the affected house before the other house that incorrectly marked the bugged one as being broken into, you’ll be able to see what you missed.

The map will be getting more fleshed out soon, I just have spent much time in the adventure field section, outside of the map itself and the main quest.

There will be an eating contest mini game for the fighter. Not sure if the mage will get one, but I’ve got an idea for one, but we’ll have to see.

8 Likes

Not working on this yet, but I had an idea for another mechanic for the characters general diets that they eat in the background (implied food that they eat without player input, any food you make them eat being extra).
At any point during the day while in town, you can change the diets of the individual characters. Each having different effects, some long term, others for just the day.

First is the average diet. This does nothing. Though on hard mode, it might cause weight gain after a certain cutscenes, if you ever get it. I haven’t decided yet.

Second is the lean diet, they eat only the bare minimum amount of food necessary. This lowers the character’s health every day, but you earn extra money at the beginning of the next day. If there isn’t enough current HP to cover the damage, you will lose max HP instead. If Claire is suffering from laziness or Sarah has high gluttony, the weight gain from those effects will be blocked, but they will lose more current hp. If Ophelia has the fetish she will lose some current mp on this diet. If Sarah is on this diet, it will lower her gluttony by 1.

Third is the meat based diet. This will give the character a 20% buff to physical defense for the following day, but at a cost of 10% debuff to magic defense. This diet will make the character on it gain +3 lbs. This is also Claire’s favorite diet to be on, which will cause her to restore some HP at the end of every day. If Sarah is on this diet it will raise her gluttony by 1.

Fourth is a sweets based diet. This will do the opposite of the meat diet, 20% buff to magic defense, and a 10% debuff to physical defense. You also gain +3 lbs. This is Ophelia’s favorite diet, and will restore some MP at the end of every day. If Sarah is on this diet it will raise her gluttony by 1.

Fifth is the pasta diet. This simply raise your agility by 20% the next day, but will cause you to gain 4 lbs at the end of the day. If Sarah is on this diet it will raise her gluttony by 1.

Finally the gourmet diet. This will do two things based on how often you use it in rotations of 5. On the third time you use it, you will gain a permanent increase of +2 to attack, defense, agility, magic attack or magic defense. The other thing it does on every fifth time you use it, that character will get a free level up. This will cause the character to gain +5lbs. This is Sarah’s favorite diet, and she will restore both HP and a little MP when using it, her gluttony also will go up by +2.

16 Likes

The test of fae seems to be an infinite loop atm.

food vendors house when entered just puts you into the demo house (for stealing.)

some of the houses on the right have a similar problem, I robbed like half of them then the others became invalid as well.

2 Likes

can you make alternative download places (like media file).itch.io doesn’t downloadtuffon my computer

1 Like

Yes, there will be a Mega mirror in a couple days.

2 Likes

About 1/3 of the main quest is finished for the chapter. Up until you enter the dungeon is completed, for the most part. I still need some dialogue written for the main cast and the intro cutscene needs to be made too.

Once chapter 1 is out, I think I’ll be taking volunteers for writers and maybe map design. I don’t want it to take half a year per chapter to release, it’s going a bit too slow for my tastes.

I want to wait before the first one is done, since on the writing side, it would be better to have a greater understanding of the main cast’s personalities and speech patterns first.

12 Likes

will there be a debug mode that we can use to get free money and equipment and such? because that would be perfect for players who accidentally lose their save to get back to where they left off really fast

2 Likes

Maybe, for the next demo build of chapter 1, perhaps. After that, it’s unlikely since I already have a cheat system I’m place for repeat playthroughs once the whole thing is finished. Chapter 1 is the largest hurdle (on my end) of these releases due to the game’s structure. Once chapter 1 is released, there won’t be many more mechanics being added, just quests, locations, and smaller mechanics that only apply to specific sections.

After this chapter is completed and released, the game will be treated as if it’s done, but is releasing the next 7 chapters episodically. So hold onto your save file, so you can use it in the next release.

8 Likes

Sorry had something I had to take care of the last couple weeks, and had some obligations I took on that I needed to take care of first for a while, I’m back to work on this now.

9 Likes

Also, I got the mega mirror up and running now, here it is: 173.08 MB file on MEGA

12 Likes

I’m adding another building to the eastern part of town, it’s going to be a sort of activity hub that has a job/activity for everyone and works as a shop. Not a priority yet though, still working on main quest primarily.

Since this is making the town even longer, with the player starting on the far western part of town, I’m going to be adding a town map that can be used to teleport around sections of the town. Even with the sprint key held down, it can take a solid 20 seconds to go from the inn to the new building. So a fast travel system for just getting around town in whatever chapter the player is on would remove a lot of that filler. Espeically since you start inside your room at the inn whenever time advances.

12 Likes

how do you study in game? like i can go in 2 ruins but it doesnt do anything. sorry if its stupid question

2 Likes

No, it’s not a stupid question don’t worry. As of the current available demo, I wouldn’t bother with studying just yet it’s broken. Once it is working though, when Ophelia is level 3 or higher, go to the elemental school and activate one of the book cases.

Speaking of the current demo, it shouldn’t be too long before the next one. The ruins is almost finished (well, the scripting is. The combat isn’t, so the maze area might be empty or skipped for that build).

8 Likes