Heroes on a Budget - Development Back on Track

It’s either butter or bread at the moment (butter taking less time on the players part, but the gold to weight ratio is the same). Sap would be more efficient, but I disabled the side quest that unlocks that for the demo (the middle part of the quest needs work, and will be located in a map I’ve not made yet). If visuals are what you’re looking for, stick with only feeding Ophelia since she’s the only one with sprites so far.

I wanted to avoid a ballooning party this early since a few quests that require you to check in with a quest giver at every weight stage (else the quest fails or a part is skipped), might be failed before you know they exist.

3 Likes

I didn’t even know there was butter in the game. I take it there’s more then one food merchant, then?

1 Like

Sort of, the Thieves Guild sells butter as a thief tool, but it can also be eaten. Look around town at night, mashing the z or enter key on objects to find it.

The demo looks really cool. Was playing on a weird setup so I didn’t take too much time to look at it, but I am excited to play more and to further explore this game. From initial glance, the stealth mini game seems really tough, but I will try again once I am on my usual setup and see if it goes any better.

1 Like

I seem to have stumbled across a couple of bugs.

First, after a certain point, the weapon shop job stopped paying out at all. Claire would work there, and never get paid for it.

Sarah ran into a similar problem. I’d commit a burglary, but not receive any money for it. Taking the pick-pocketing job still paid out, at least.

After I spoke with Colleen in the realm beyond (Ophelia pudgy), I never got the chance to head back and speak to her again about her “diet” potion, as the portal disappeared completely.

1 Like

Did you get arrested while doing the burglary? They take your money if you do. Also, theoney is directly given to you, did you know how much gold you had before the break-in?

I was wondering which job was broken, thanks for narrowing it down to the weapon shop. EDIT: fixed

I don’t know why the portal is vanishing, did you see a placeholder cutscene before it vanished? Also, don’t worry about missing out on the potion test subject job, it’s not ready yet. EDIT: fixed

Also, since the weapon shop is bugged currently, do the lumber jacking job with Claire instead. It’s a little hidden, I’ll make the sign sparkle from now on. Jus click in the sign on the north east side of town, right after you cross the river.

1 Like

Another possible bug; you said studying is unlocked once Ophalia reaches level 3, but none of the bookshelves are working, including the Earth and Fire ones that you said should. Just wanted to bring that to your attention. Loving the game so far too!

1 Like

What do I do in the forest area, all that happens is mobs appear?

1 Like

Also sorry to be that person who asks a lot of questions but is there like a certain thing im supposed to do as each of them

1 Like

If you mean the adventure field as a whole, there is a dungeon that you need to find the password to enter (there are three passwords that work, one that you are supposed to figure out/find, and two that are Easter egg passwords. They’re two versions of an old door(s) password used in a lot of older PC games.)

If you’re talking about the eastern part of the adventure field, right now it’s just there to get to the northern part lake, but will later be where about 50% of the chapter’s side quests will take place.

Nothing specific that you’re supposed to do, but they have different activities they can do around town. Mostly just jobs for now, but I will add things that increase stats.

Ok thanks, so uhh what do I do with the robbing person when they run out of things to rob?

1 Like

If you got everything out of a house, now you have to leave through the front door without getting caught. You can leave earlier too if you don’t want to risk ii getting absolutely everything out of a house.

Oh I meant the like actual houses, sorry for not pointing it out well

1 Like

Oh you mean when the rogue character runs out of places to rob. Right now that is effectively the end of the demo. You can make the mage gain a few stages of weight or look around the rest of the map you can get to if you want.

So since I can’t/don’t really want to do a fully fleshed out NG+, or store meta data without a plugin, I think I’ve worked out what I’m going to do instead for repeat playthroughs. I’m going to add a fortune teller character in the magic academy area that will ask for a password. These passwords will be given to you after you beat the game and will act as both cheat codes as well as telling the game what playthrough you’re on. You will only need to put in the most recent code you have gotten, it’ll unlock all previous rewards from earlier codes. The cheats will be optional, if you don’t like them you don’t have to activate them. You activate each cheat individually by activating their crystal in the fortune teller’s room. The first code will require you beat chapter 8, but all later codes can be unlocked regardless of you getting to chapter 8 or not.

5 Likes

My first playthrough, I got arrested testing the stage 5 weight with burglary.

The money not coming to me occurred in a subsequent game. I noticed that I was drastically short of funds all the time, so I started keeping track and found my two non-paying gigs. What was weird was the burglary started out paying off, then just stopped for some reason. No clue as to why.

And I’m guessing from the “Edit: fixed” by the portal query that you’ve already solved that problem.

Going to start a new game and see what happens this time. Worst case scenario, we all burn and die.

Edit: Forgot to ask, but someone mentioned a bridge that triggers an event if a character is above a certain weight. Is it one of the ones in the “Adventuring Fields,” or somewhere else? Is it any bridge, or a distinct one?

1 Like

It’s a specific bridge in the dungeon. The entrance is in the adventure field, specifically on the large island in the lake. You need to open the door first, you need to type in the password either by finding it, or typing in one of the Easter egg passwords. If you don’t want to waste time looking for the real password, the quick way in is by typing “451” or “0451”. Take the left hand path to find the bridge once inside.

3 Likes

not entirely sure but i think it was when it announced her being pudgy

as for the jobs it was a general randomly for any of the jobs

1 Like

I can’t seem to download the n

1 Like