How do you folks do it!

I would love to write a story with weight gain and BBW themes, but I struggle to write anything that I would enjoy reading, and every time I try to write fetish content, I always feel awkward and the stuff I do end up writing is very cliche and lacks any sense of sensuality. I would love to be able to come up and write at least one story, and create a great RPG or Visual Novel based around it, but I need to improve my writing ability in regards to kink writing and world building.

3 Likes

I’m gonna have to agree, most of my writing is kinda cliche. I’d like to know some tips!

2 Likes

Moved to writing and world building

1 Like

Well, as someone who’s written four-ish inflation fanfics as of this post, I can say my tip and trick on writing fetish stuff is to not focus on the fetish stuff. At least not initially.

No, my focus would be on everything else, especially the characters who’re getting ballooned/fattened/berried/expanded-in-general. Make sure the characters are all distinct, with a unique look, personality and feel. Plan out how they’ll act and react when they start to get all bloaty and heavy. It will ultimately give readers a reason to care about the expansion, and hopefully get more reads as a result.

In terms of kink writing, look up a thesaurus. My first posted pic could generally be described as “he’s fat, she’s fat, they’re ALL fat”, which ultimately gets repetitive. If you have terms such as engorge, burgeon, and tumefy under your belt, use them. It’ll spice things up! And when it comes to making it sexy, the same vocabulary rule applies, but you’ll also want to exclude more “childish” sounding words like tummy. They’re weird and un-hot, I say!

WORLDBUILDING! Feel free to look up other fictional worlds and societies throughout history for reference, but never directly copy anything. At least make the attempt to construct a unique-enough world that isn’t seen that often, and a society that could realistically inhabit it. Magic is a good tool!

This may seem a bit scattered, so I’ll try and give an example; a young couple is heading to the big city, y’see. Doesn’t matter why, they just get there at the start. After some shenanigans, it turns out they’ve stepped into another dimension! German expressionist architecture, roads made of sand, a pink sky and black clouds.

Oh, and the city’s filled with animate food that seems distinctly keen on fattening them up and good.

Our lovebirds are in fact of two worlds on this; the girlfriend is horrified by all of these shenanigans and the prospect of her body being obliterated, while the boyfriend harbors a fat fetish, and wouldn’t mind her putting on a few, or even putting on some himself. Either way, they have to escape, lest the eater become the eaten.

Mind you, this could all be TERRIBLE writing advice, so take it all with a pinch of salt.

7 Likes

I’ll see if I can articulate my thoughts into helpful advice, here we go.

first, obviously, you’ll need practice. I look at the stuff I first wrote, and it’s not very good. that being said, as you write more and see your older stuff in a different light, you get to see what things seem off, don’t make sense, seem cliche, etc.
With practice, your style will develop, and you’ll find how you better like to write and what style of writing/narration/storytelling suits you!

second, look at other writers’ stuff. for me, if was Non Sequitur’s stuff on FA that got me into writing myself, and his and other writers’ styles gave me inspiration for themes, situations, and even general writing styles that I enjoy using. another writer may have phrased or described something in a way you never even thought of, and it’s good (imo) to have various methods for writing out a given situation.

in a similar note, a varied vocabulary is nice to have, especially if you’re wordy like myself, but it’s not vital, and as you write more you’ll search for more and different words for different things.

third, when you’re writing characters, especially multiple characters interacting, try to flesh out characters slowly (flesh out; no pun intended). characters are tough to make sometimes, because you can have one great idea, but not much else. you don’t have to go deep into backstory unless you want to, but a good starting point is appearance in basic terms and personality in basic archetypes.
for example, you want a feeder character. great, what else are they like? are they themselves, chubby or fat, or are they smaller for easier feeding? what other quirks do they have, personality-wise? are they snarky, deadpan, cocky, humorous? once you have the frame of a character down, it becomes much easier to add detail. it’s very easy to have a great idea snap into your mind, and sometimes just as easy to build something cool out of that idea, but without a decent base to put it on, it won’t have anywhere to go, and trust me, good ideas can fade fast.

not only this, but try to practice writing believable dialogue. I think one of the toughest things for both readers and the writer to read through is dialogue that’s too cringy, bland, abrupt, or otherwise uninteresting. once you have a character somewhat established, it becomes much easier to make them speak in a more believable way. in addition, it becomes easier to make interactions more interesting. what would a deadpan feeder say to a cocky, funny feedee? how would they get along, one of them flatly trying to shove food down the other’s gullet while the feedee is both enjoying it, and trying to get the feeder laugh, or trying to be dominant over someone who’s only interested in calmly stuffing them? you can imagine some ways they might interact, and if you have developed some backstories off of the base of those characters, you have more things to talk about, and more aspects that can clash or synergize between characters.

very wordy, but I hope you can glean something interesting out of that! :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the pointers! I’ve always enjoyed story’s where the protagonist encounters a whole new civilization and society, so I think I’ll write a short story about that to get some practice in using your tips as a guideline.

1 Like

I have a few tips.

1. Your writing is going to be bad, and that’s expected. This is not an insult. No writer’s first drafts are gold. They all go through, critique, revision, edits, and proof reading. Its those things that really bring out the quality of a piece of writing. The first draft is a seed. Revision and editing are what make a final piece. Your first drafts being bad is not a flaw on your part. Its a fact of life. The more you accept it, the easier it is to get words on a page. And once you have words on a page, you can revise and edit them to make it better.

2. Have a plan: You should have an idea of what happens in the story before you start writing. Regardless if it is a meticulous outline, or just a simple concept you want to explore, you should know that ahead of time. Having a clear idea for a starting point and end point will help you figure out how to get from one place to the other. Its way easier to plan a trip between two cities if you know what city you’re starting at and ending at.

3. Your writing should communicate efficiently. Every sentence should serve the story. When you write a detail you should ask what that sentence does to advance the story. it should advance a plot point, illustrate how a character feels, give the reader an image of something story relevant in their mind. There are a couple questions that can be useful to help with this. “Does the reader need to know this?” and “Does the reader need to know this at this point in the story?”. Does the reader need to know the shoe size of a character? Unless it’s a plot point or a foot fetish, you can leave that detail out entirely. Does the character have a fat fetish? If it’s a fatty smut then that is probably something that should be included, and included very early on.

4. Your setting should be shown through your characters: I’m going to be blunt here. The reader will not care about the 10 thousand year history of your world. Writing about other civilizations and worlds is awesome, but you have to let the reader know about your world over time. The reader should experience your world through it’s characters. Don’t lecture about a time of famine after a great war, let your reader experience a character’s desperation to find enough food to make it through the day. Don’t lecture me on the noble and structure of your worlds magic, let me read about a character struggling to memorize glyphs in the middle of a magic class. Imagine how boring it would be if Harry Potter started off with a long diatribe about the political strain between the Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts, or a long elaborate history of dark wizards going back to before Grindlewald. Don’t do that. Start with your characters first.

Hope these tips help you get started!

7 Likes

Wow! Those are some amazing tips! Thank so much for taking the time to tell me them, I’ll definitely be useing them (especially about showing the world through the characters). I think I’ll be able to write something that I’m confident enough to post one day :+1:

2 Likes

If it may help, I’ll give you the same advice someone gave me. My particular problem was creating a unique, realistic character as opposed to a body to put weight on. Honestly, an unlikable MC can kill what would otherwise be a quality weight gain piece.

The first thing you need to do is ask yourself various questions about your main character. The questions can be as follows, but you most likely will have your own list depending on your story and plot.

• Who is your character?
  • What events in their past shaped their lives to this point?
  • What starts them gaining weight?
  • What makes them not do anything about it? Or maybe they did try to something, so why does it fail?
  • In the case of a story involving more extreme weight gain, why does the MC continue gaining after a certain point?
  • What’s their opinion on their weight gain?
  • What’s the opinion of those around them?

The potential list can keep going on and on, but this should give you at least an outline of what kind of questions you should be asking yourself about your characters.

And though it’s already been stated, one key thing to remember when writing good fetish material is that the fetish isn’t the only thing in the story. Your character had a life before getting fat (or fatter, at least). Typically, a good story doesn’t start with “And they gained 200 pounds
”

It can, but it is rare.

As an example, picture a story that takes place in an office. Our MC is a young woman, just graduated from college and working her first desk job. She was very athletic in school and made it into college on a sport’s scholarship. Unfortunately, she blew out her knees, and any major athletic dreams were gone in an instant.

The early part deals with her adjusting to office life. Although initially very health conscious, she starts snacking on breakroom doughnuts more frequently. Long working hours, especially during crunch time, sees her cutting back on both her healthy home cooked meals and her evening exercise program. Within a few months, she’s gone from working out for an hour or two daily to not at all. Suppers have gone from a kale and spinach salad to delivery pizza or Chinese.

Maybe it was the damage to her knees that cut down on her workout routine in the first place.

These decisions wouldn’t have an immediate effect, but over time she starts putting on a bit of weight. She puts off dealing with it. Her job keeps her very sedentary, it hurts her knees to move on them for any length of time, and she really doesn’t have time to cook something better or the money to afford expensive health food meals. Besides, she can still button her shirt and she’s far from the fattest one at the office, so there’s no problem, right?

Over time, she keeps rationalizing and procrastinating. The tipping point is when she decides to buy a new wardrobe rather then focus on losing weight. At this point, she’s all but surrendered to the flab, and now she really starts packing it on.

Maybe she starts to enjoy getting fatter, or maybe she gets a significant other who is a feeder. Maybe her coworkers are trying to fatten her on the sly, or maybe she just likes eating and doesn’t care how fat she gets.

Well, that wound up way more in depth then I’d originally intended, but hopefully there’s something useful in that rambling mess, lol.

6 Likes

That is a really good point. The WG story’s I enjoy the most have likeable characters who end up getting fat realistically. Thanks for the pointers :+1:

Since many have given tips on characters here (which are the most important part of a story) I thought I’d give some tips World Building wise.

When I create a scenario I start with the concept. Is it fantasy, sci fi, horror or something else? What creatures inhibit it? If you’re creating a fantasy world you must decide on either using your own creatures, or just taking the good old Tolkien races. The latter is better if you are new to world building.

But the most important part of a WG story is, as mentioned by many others, how do they get fat? Is the magic in this world somehow related do fat? Does society favour those who are heavy? Are there aliens who fatten people up? Anything goes, no matter if it’s clichĂ©. Honestly that doesn’t matter in fetish stories.

Also, if you ARE gonna have magic in your world, make it consistent. And don’t introduce something that could have easily got the characters out of another situation. With other words don’t introduce overpowered stuff.

Also, if you want a really great world, find out details about the society there. Where do they get their food? How do they get around? What makes them special from other societies? And if the society is related to fat somehow, how long have they been? And in what form?

Make sure to have this information to come up in the story though, otherwise it’s useless. And useless information is worse than bad writing. At least in my opinion. Instead of adding on to the lore until you can’t add any more. Try to take away until you can’t take away anymore. Of course this is your world, and you decide what is in it.

Hope this was helpful.

2 Likes

Those are some great tips, thank you! Especially the cliches are okay one, as I was worried I wouldn’t be able to write anything 100% original

So, I started writing a story, and I was wondering if there is a good place to post the rough draft for a peer review once I’m feeling confident enough that it’s in a readable state? Also, should I share the general idea of the story as well?

The two big ones I know of are deviantart.com, and writing.com. I post to the latter semi-regularly, though only to interactives to present. One thing I’ve noticed with writing is it does seem difficult at times to get any feedback from viewers.

And while I’m on deviantart, I have yet to post anything there, though I have found some really good weight gain fiction on that site.

I suppose I could get back on those sites, but like you mentioned, it’s hard to get feedback. And from my personal experience, it seems hard to attract viewers into reading my drafts (I tried with a normal story way back in 2015).

Whenever I am planning on writing something, I follow a process that I have found helpful for organizing my ideas. Firstly, I make rough characters, not thinking of them as characters, but rather as people. Then, I draft templates of the plot and the storytelling devices that I might use. Next, I “fill in the blanks” with the characters I have made. With the outline of the plot and character arcs, I improvise conversations and interactions based off of the respective characters’ situations and backgrounds and that, therein, with which I am able to empathize.
Never commit yourself to a fixed direction. If something else seems like a more interesting development than the one you had originally drafted, go that direction and run with it. Subtextual progression in character development and social interactions keeps a reader engaged and “shows” rather than “tells”. Here is the template that I was most recently working on for a Feederism/Romance story with a fantasy setting and hero’s journey subplot. I haven’t decided on any substantive ideas for characters yet :sweat_smile:.

• Story Plot = P

• Monomyth = M

• Romance Arc = R

• Fetish = F

• ACT 1

• P: Exposition / Introduction
  • M: Ordinary World — Call to Adventure — Refusal / Acceptance
  • R: Initiating Meeting / Encounter / Interaction
  • F: Establishing where character starts in their fetish journey and their awareness of it / Foreshadowing of fetish
  • R: Continuation of the status quo
  • M: Crossing the Threshold / Meeting Mentor
  • F: Thoughts or behaviours in consonance with fetish, but not necessarily acknowledged
  • P: Rising Action

• R: Rising Tension

• M: Road of Trials & Failures / New Allies and Adversaries

• F: Encountering encouraging factors in characters and/or changes in circumstances / Fetish becoming more prominent

• ACT 2

• R: The turning point/ realization of romantic interest and, potentially, its acknowledgment
  • M: Consciousness Expands / Growth & New Skills
  • F: Acknowledgment of fetish on a personal level and curious / excited
  • P: Obstacle/ Complication (with potential foreshadowing)
  • R: Obstacle/ Complication (Fear, Misunderstanding, Conflicting Priorities, Self-Sabotage, External Influences)
  • F: Obstacle(s) and adjustments to fetish in relationships, presentation, and potential for risky adventures resulting in reward / humiliation
  • R: Their love can not be (distance and reflections)

• P: Falling Action

• M: Helpers and New Perspectives

• F: Fetish intensifies / Fetish seems unrealistic

• ACT 3

• R: Communication and Venting of Tension

• P: Rising Action

• M: Approaching the Abyss

• F: Fetish is in the open / Fetish is being resisted / Pursuit of fetish has been obstructed by an external factor/party

• P: Climax

• R: Definitive Obstacle to Their Love (The Night of the Dark Soul)

• M: Supreme Ordeal / The Belly of the Beast (temptation/revelation/disempowerment/sacrifice)

• F: Faces definitive obstacle to fetish head-on (psychological/interference/relationship/supernatural)

• M: Death and Rebirth / Finding the ‘Sword’ / Transformed Perspective — Birth of Transformed Self

• P: Reversal

• R: Bringing the Obstacle into the Light, Together; loving without clutching, appreciating without judging, joining without invading, inviting without demanding, leaving without guilt, criticizing without blaming, and helping without insulting. A reciprocal, mutually special, exciting, congruent, vulnerable, impassioned, adoring, and tender interaction.

• F: Fully embracing and indulging in fetish further than ever before

• ACT 4

• M: Consolidation of Experience / The Ultimate Boon
  • R: Reconciliation, Growth, Boundaries, Vulnerabilities, Release, Acceptance, Reciprocity, Congruency, and Intimacy
  • F: Enjoying / Developing / Sharing / Adjusting to unreserved fetish (potentially more outrageously delightful adventures that end in success / failure
  • M: Challenges of Returning / The Road Back / Rescue from Without
  • R: Adjusting to the new, earned status quo
  • F: Relishing in challenges of fetish / New opportunities opening up as a result of fetish
  • M: Master of the Ordinary and Extraordinary Worlds / Freedom to Live
  • P: Denouement
  • R: And they were happy for a time (ever-after)
  • F: No regrets
1 Like

Of course, this method is not necessarily an ideal tool for everyone; I hope that helps anyone looking for a place to start when writing a story.

As for video games / text adventures, the “subtextual” aspects of storytelling have additional fonts of delivery through the gameplay mechanics and the interactive setting.
(e.g. pretty much everything in Bioshock—excluding the ending, a sanity metre—when it’s done right, gathering and losing souls/blood echos & reawakening at bonfires/lamps that you are lighting as a symbolic pilgrimage through the world of Dark Souls/Bloodborne, NPCs having conversations that reveal non-essential information about the world around you—the Mass Effect trilogy excels at this—the Elder Scrolls is notoriously “on the nose” and jarringly robotic)

To whom it may concern, bear in mind that it is not realistic to set out to make something the likes of a product that is a collaboration of experienced professionals. Start simple and attainable! If you spread yourself too thin, the project will not be completed. If you have a couple of ideas, try to implement those into a game-space and see how well it translates. Learn how to use the game-making software to give yourself an understanding of what courses of action are realistic or even possible from where you are.
Keep dreaming

1 Like

I forgot if this forum has rules about necroposting. Ah well, I’ll remember some day.
I’ve written four or five pieces of fattywank material, and I know the things I focus on and why I like to focus on those things. Beyond that, I have about 3+ years of screenwriting studies at my back and a few scripts, so there’s a handful of “less obvious” details that I tend to focus on myself. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.
I’ve no doubt that many of the things I’m going to mention have been brought up by others here, so you’ll have to excuse me for the repetition. I’m also going to preface this by saying that this is my advice. Not necessarily something that will work for you, not necessarily something you should adhere yourself to.

First off, I’ll start with what I consider to be essentials. More in general writing than for kink stuff. Important for games, comics, short stories, even roleplaying; whether it is of the erotic persuasion or not.

Regardless of what you’re doing, make sure that your character’s motivations are clear. They don’t have to be simple, they don’t have to be easy to understand, but they have to be clear. More to the point, those motivations must remain consistent throughout the whole piece. EG: If a character wants to go to a party to have fun, they’ll do what they believe will result in fun, even when that perception might turn out to be incorrect. If a character wants to visit a, say, candy factory to appraise it for when they orchestrate a hostile takeover, they’ll do their best to collect information about it.
There’s a second part to a motive, which is how the character goes about achieving that objective. Depending on whether you want them to be likable or not, and depending on whether you wanna have them do a heelturn or faceturn at some point during the story, you’ll have to adapt their actions. The thing about this is that it’s all execution. I could give you a thousand examples and I still wouldn’t be able to give you the specific point that separates likable and unlikable. It all depends on how you write them. Sometimes the biggest scumbag can have enough charisma to be liked by some.

Now, the “me” things.

Usually, I tend to start my stories by talking not only about the characters, but about the world that surrounds them. More often than not, that’s just to give the reader a set of images to put on the background of the action. Beyond that, I tend to pepper in a lot of inconsequential details. In a movie, that’s not something you can get away with, but in writing, moreso in short stories, it’s something that ultimately isn’t going to change much. Of course, it requires you to remain focused on the main point of the story, whether that is “Character go from thin to fat” or “Character wanna find the hidden treasure”.
Another thing I do a lot is having a stronger focus on feel over polish. This is a very unorthodox approach, and if you’re going to take it, you better fucking know what you’re sacrificing in each situation. And I’m not using swears just 'cuz. This shit’s fucking important. If you want your writing to sound repetitive, you have to both know that you’re doing it as well as knowing why you are going it, and that usually goes beyond just “I want this part to be repetitive”. Be aware, too, that stuff like this is not to everyone’s taste. The “feel” will be enough for some, but will not be for others. This doesn’t necessarily mean you’re doing it wrong, just that you’re prioritizing one aspect, and more often than not, that comes at a cost. It’s for that reason I advice to try to be aware of what you’re sacrificing. Because if by making an aspect stronger, you weaken another aspect that might be valuable to the scene or sequence of events, you should not do it. EG: Let’s say the character is in a moment of confusion and daze. You start to use very wordy, brainy metaphors to present their entranced state. One of the things that might affect if you put a lot of emphasis on it is the overall pacing of that scene. If you can afford to be slower, say the character is at an inn waiting for someone, then the pacing is not an issue. If you cannot afford to sacrifice rhythm, however; so if the character is about to start a fight or in the middle of it, you should keep the elaborate metaphors to a minimum. In the context of kink stuff, much the same. Lets say you write a story of a runner that, one day, for no discernible reason (and there doesn’t have to be one, by the way), starts gaining weight as she runs. You start with a springy pace, agile, something lighter, and making it slower, more lethargic as she gains and starts to fatten up, her very pounds weighing her down and making the prospect of her moving harder, pound after pound, until at the end she cannot bear it anymore and is immobilized.

I could honestly keep talking about it for an unhealthy amount of time, but I’m mildly concerned I’d start talking out my ass if I haven’t already. I consider writing more of a craft than an art, so that shapes my views on the medium. Either way, as per usual, here’s the TL;DRs.

Focus on the motivation, and keep the character’s actions as concordant with it.

Decide whether you want the character to appear likable or not, and if you’re going to have them turn heel or face.

Shape their behavior according to the previous two points. This is hard to get right, and will be a mess if you’re inexperienced.

Personally, I’d advice you present some details about the world the characters live in. Even if it’s broad strokes. Will give people a background to work from.

Adapt your writing to what you want to transmit, but be aware that emphasizing some aspects will always sacrifice others. Know what you need and what you don’t.

The more you explain, the more questions you’ll have to answer. Sometimes, it’s better to keep things simple.

4 Likes

I know this topic is old at this point but I haven’t seen any rules on necroposting in the guidelines so I’ll just go ahead and give my two cents.

I haven’t written much and I’ve not published anything, but when I write fatty material I personally always focus on the setting first. I mostly write with preexisting characters and settings, so when a fic barely acknowledges why the characters are suddenly fat or want to be fat it really takes me out of it. So my first priorities are generally;

• How do I make the characters fat without breaking their established personality? Can I justify the level of gain I want by having something happen to them or do I have to change something about the setting?
  • Does a character get fat suddenly or over time and how do they respond to this happening?
  • If I have to alter the setting, will these alterations mostly affect the focus characters or will this affect their society as a whole?
  • How will the setting change if the majority of the population is overweight? How would a society accommodate the morbidly obese when there is no expectation to be of a healthy weight, especially when the obese are almost exclusively female?
  • What sorts of roles would women take in a society where they are expected to be heavy, and how does this change in societal norms affect the main characters?

Once I’ve figured out the answers to these questions, the rest is just a matter of describing my focus characters going about their daily routines. It helps if you’re already familiar with a character or set of characters, but it’s generally good to keep in mind when you want to write any story that feels natural, and not something that feels like it is JUST fetish and exists solely for the fetish.

Basically, if your story still feels like it makes sense or is fun to read even after you finish, you’re doing something right.

3 Likes