How to manage juggling multiple projects?

Hello. I am developing some fetish games and am wondering if I could get some advice. I am basically starting the process of making 3 games with distinct stories(hopefully) and different fetishes(somewhat) and I want to ask for some advice. I basically had all these projects dumped on me so now I’m just sailing here with no where to go except try to find ways on RPGM. 2 of the games are going to be smaller projects to develop around the clock and have a moderate story added in. 1 of them is the big boi one that I want to develop after I hone my skills and release the first version of the other 2. I want to ask for advice since I want to know if any of you guys know any knowledge on how to realistically do this. I might not have one of the bigger fetishes on this community, but I still want to see how to juggle this and the best way to go about this. Thank You!

Depends on how much you like coding/drawing/writing. It can be easy to get burnt out only working on one type of thing consistently, I personally find it nice to make the different games completely different in terms of mechanics/visual style so that once you get tired of one you can switch to the other to refresh, and even get ideas on how to solve issues on one by working on the others.

1 Like

Not to disenfranchise those who can do this, but juggling creative projects is not realistic - especially if you’re working alone. It’s alright to have multiple idea bins, though. In my experience, actively working on simultaneous projects can cause burn-out and incentivizes you to jump ship when things get hard or you forget where you were in your project.

Some things right off the bat I can think of to help you manage your time:

1. Focus - choose the most realistic project of the three. Set those other projects off to the side, or into the “idea bin.” They may be cool to make one day, but these next couple of months it’s all about this one project. This will make your time management way easier.
  2. Flow - this is that state where you’ve been working on a project for some time and you can get so much work done all in one go. When was the last time you’ve been in this state? Take note of what circumstances put you into that flow state, and try to replicate it whenever you’re working.
  3. Environment - change your environment. If you game / check social media / watch YouTube videos for entertainment at the same computer that you do work, you’ve probably noticed that you can’t effectively wrangle your temptations. Start changing this today. It can be as extra as picking yourself up and going to a public cafe with a laptop, or as simple as switching on a different light in your room when you’re ready to work. You could go to another room entirely. You could use a different computer / device for projects, or even just a different Internet browser. Something about your situation should change when you want to be productive. Which leads into:
  4. Distraction management - Those things you’ve put off that you meant to get done yesterday / last week? Do one today. Need R&R after work / school? Don’t put that off; set some time aside to focus on yourself, turn on a game or relax for an hour, or even power-nap for 30 min. Been trying to work for the past umpteen minutes and nothing is flowing? That’s a sign you need a break. Just get up and do one of those things you’ve been putting off, or take a shower, or make dinner. Finally, those extra tabs you keep open, or that Favorites bar full of tempting links - get rid of that, at least in the same environment that you work.
  5. Plan - create a structured document with a tiered approach. Compartmentalize your tasks, and check off when each is done. Consider everything that needs to get done, including things you don’t know how to do yet, and what you’re going to do about it - specifically (Even if it’s just “Google the documentation for Twine” or something like that). It helps a lot to put deadlines on your tasks, with reasonable timelines for yourself. You are aiming for a minimum viable product (the basic skeleton of the project - just what it needs to exist), and you can add fluff to it later.

That should be a good start.

5 Likes

I am not sure if that is the best for me. Even though I do have 3 projects, I might drop one to focus on the 2 that are more fleshed out. It honestly will probably help me for at least me since I have time on my hands to do it. These 2 I want to be my best foot forward since its going to be my first major venture into creating games and first venture into RPG Maker.

Thanks for the advice on the other parts though! I’ll keep them in mind!

1 Like

Genuinely good advice. Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

I might also add this question to see if anyone can help me, but what are some good tips for RPGM? I am specifically making a game(the big project) that focuses solely on stomach noises/stuffing/burps. I am not a fan of WG(No hate to the ones that do) and only really like it when its more just the mild to moderate belly or curves. (The other smaller one is in RPGM but focused on AE so I can get that sorted). I just want to ask if there’s any resources out there that can help me out with this venture?

there should be base resources if you know where to look (i am not entirely sure but some of those assets can be found here)

as for projects don’t bite of more than you can chew. making a game is quite a dedicated work, lots of things go into it if you plan on standing out, (art, music, possible scripts/addons/plugins, writing) it’s not something you can just do in a month. it is going to be a time sink for sure and it may overwhelm you. if you have no prior expierence in making a game (as in never published one before this point) it’s a good idea to start small, and perhaps prepare before going in.

If you need some assistance writing a story there is this very handy tool called Storyplotter that can assist in making a story based on user written ideas and characters you create in it. I plan on using this too for my own projects and have been using it whenever an idea surfaces. only thing is you need to do is log in but that’s so far for me been a one-time login. once that’s done you have full access to all of it’s tools.

make sure to take breaks if things aren’t going well, last thing you want to do is burn out. and just keep at it on step at a time,

i shall also link you this playlist of famous game creator Masahiro Sakurai that host some short but to the point tips that can give the game some more fun factors
Here’s the link for that

Best of luck on your projects, You have my support

1 Like