How would you implement squashing into a game?

it was basically always in the context of squashing though and i didn’t want to go off topic without permission. but here I go

farting could be similar to the pepper spray and tear gas grenades in Deus ex.
it stunned enemies and made them take more damage from other weapons. they also blocked laser tripwires so you could go past them (or you could have them be visible instead)

farting on fires could cause a fire blast or fiery explosion, it could be used to deter the player from using their fart powers or as some special fire attack

farts could be corrosive but you probably need to explain it in universe in some way

farts could to do jetpack things like hover,fall slower, jump higher, contextualize double jumps or be a speed boost

it could also be used as lingering hitboxes that ticks damage but does no knockback or hitstun

of course farts could also be just a poison attack but that is kind of obvious

3 Likes

Ok, so there’a definitely more uses for farts than I initially thought. My first idea (aside from my initial ones, I guess) was using them as a force push kind of attack to blow enemies away, although after reading your ideas, you seem to have put a lot of thought into the subject.

So in an attempt to get back on topic, I tried thinking about how squashing could be applied to different genres of game, and this may have just inspired me with something. What about a Crusader Kings style game where you play as the ruler and have to manage your kingdom while dealing with others? There’s obviously so many directions to go with this, but my initial idea with squashing was based around conquering other kingdoms and – I guess just to rub it in? – using rulers from those conquered kingdoms as your personal throne cushion. Naturally, you’d be using the additional funds from your conquests to gorge yourself as much as possible, and as you progress, you’d get fatter and fatter over time, allowing for more unwilling subjects to be squashed under your royal bulk. Of course, you’d eventually outgrow your throne, and while I guess you could just make a new one, you could also divert some of that new income into additional food for making your newfound seats bigger, fatter and softer themselves. By the end of the game, your throne room suddenly feels much more cramped due to the presence of a pile of blob-sized kings and queens, with you resting on top of the heap, the biggest of them all, with nothing to do but eat now that all of the other kingdoms in the world are now under you, figuratively and literally.

1 Like

I totally agree with the gassy aspects of this topic, but there’s another way to squash: Some people prefer fatties squashing others with their bellies rather than their butts. This works in different ways, like squashing someone against the wall rather than the floor.

1 Like

Or a bed, another soft surface is not bad either.

The concept works great with strategy games, no doubt about that. I reminds me about that one episode from Garfield & Friends. Come to think of it, you could implement something similar into that concept. You could have to gain such amount of weight by a deadline to earn gold to build your kingdom with…

Since I cannot view the video in my country, it’s the “Fit for a King” episode of Garfield and Friends, Eps 47/Season 3 Eps 8

The belly squashing idea would be fun, especially if the player can change size dynamically in play (inflation anyone?) and use that belly to squish opponents. Different fillings could give different weights and/or methods in execution (like air could be used for a “knock out” gas, while water could be a heavier alternative but could be offloaded like Dtw’s prototype for an inflation game engine shows, and food could be a more permanent but more effect damage dealer with the drawback of mobility).

1 Like

that is a pettry good idea (i like inflation too)

1 Like