Hungry Birds

Now that the game has art, it might be a good time to add some screenshots to the OP post, to help really sell what this game is and what it looks like.

2 Likes

Judging by level design, I’d say a perfect shot score for this game would be an aggravating 21. So far, I’ve got 23, so if anybody can get a score of 21, I’d love to know!

Edit:
I stand corrected. Literally a minute after posting, I end up with a score of 20. That’s Karma! Still would like to see other people’s scores and such. I’m not competitive, but I do find it fun to figure out what the optimal meta is for games.

2 Likes

Still at 23. I think the lowest possible score 17, but that is entirely dependent on how the donuts roll after the towers fall.

Level 1: Can be done in 1 shot by dive bombing the tower from above.
Level 2: Because of the wall separating the two donuts, 2 shots are required to get both of them
Level 3: 2 Shots, one into the bucket and one through the car and the wall with the extra weight.
Level 4: 2 Shots theoretically, 1 shot arcing between the gap and the obstacles in front of it so the bird can roll through the hole, and a precise shot through the remaining three. I always miss one of these.
Level 5: Best I can get is a three, but it should be possible if you’re lucky to get all three donuts in the central tower after your first shot on the left tower.
Level 6: Best I can get is two, but depending on luck it might be possible to get them all in one.
Level 7: Because of the differing arcs require to get to each platform, the minimum is probably three.
Level 8: Managed to get it in one shot by aiming for the lowest vertical support beam
Level 9: Because a direct hit through the towers stops you dead at the lowest weight, I think the best possible score is 2, one arcing shot over the towers to collect the three in the middle, followed by one heavy shot through the two towers.
Level 10: Theoretically an arcing shot from above should be able to collect all six donuts, but one always seems to get away from me, requiring a second shot.

2 Likes

I can confirm levels 4 and 6 are indeed possible at 2 and 1. Bit of work and I was able to do so.

Levels 10 may not be possible to drop to 1, just given the innate nature of the doughnuts/donuts, (depending on region). The fact they can alter the player’s momentum makes it difficult to gauge. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone did it though. level 5 with 2 would be more impressive though.

Currently, I’m at 19, so unless someone can confirm the last two, we’re at a standstill.

Edit:
Cripes! I actually just finished 10 with one shot! A dead straight shot, if angled well enough, can knock a few of the …“pastries”… down to the ram, and hopefully, you’ll end up landing on them near the end of the shot.

That just leaves level 5

Edit: I keep doing it, and I hate it. Finally got level 5 done, and i have to admit, it’s not worth doing that level in specific. you need to do the left hovel first, and then PRAY the collision pushes the last “pastry” into reach when you knock over the castle.

17 shots is indeed possible

2 Likes

Hey hey, added sound to the game!

Link to Download

• added breaking noises for the boxes and boinging noises for the slingshot
  • added music (credit to www.kenney.nl)
  • added a mute button for the music
3 Likes

Damn, I can barely get down to 25 and I can cheat!

2 Likes

Top tier spritework as always, love the game!

I’ve been playing games since I was a about 4, so I guess that’s reasonable.

This is a nice little game that plays well and easy to control.

2 Likes

This game, even with what it lacks in visuals, packs a real punch in term of gameplay!

This take on angry bird got me studying the effect of the donuts on the main character.
I was quite pleased* with the experience that made me want one more level until the very end.

Thank you for this fun entry!

1 Like

I have fed the birb. Birb is now borb. All is good.

4 Likes

here’s my recent let’s play of the game :slight_smile:

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 255 |

| Writing: | 0 |

| Concept/Design | 1295 |

| Msc: | 180 |

| Total: | 21805 |

Comments:

I do not think I have ever seen a fetish based castle crusher game. I think there is a lot of potential in this concept especially with finding interesting ways to integrate weight gain directly into the games mechanics. Kudos for taking a genera we do not see very often on and I hope to see this developed further.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 163 |

| Writing: | 8 |

| Concept/Design | 790 |

| Msc: | 40 |

| Total: | 21071 |

Comments:

A good quality fatty port of a classic game. Nice job. I don’t have a lot of feedback that wouldn’t also apply to the parent game. There are some nice features that could be added like paths of last shots or a way to end your shot when you’re just slowly rolling on the ground

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 175 |

| Concept/Design | 1130 |

| Msc: | 130 |

| Total: | 21535 |

Comments:

A great take on Crush the Castle/Angry Bird’s type gameplay that makes very good use of the theme. I liked the small touch of making the launch sound get deeper as the character got heavier. I did have a couple of nitpicks, however. One of them is if you get all of the donuts in one run, you actually don’t get to see the character get any larger, you need to actually space it out if you want to see new assets. Taking more shots also doesn’t seem to penalize you at all, you could incorporate the typical rating system or only give a limited number of shots to address this. Finally, while I felt this used the theme well, there could have been blocks or other elements that only broke when you were heavier to really drive it home. Despite this, I enjoyed this one, nice work!

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 80 |

| Concept/Design | 920 |

| Msc: | 110 |

| Total: | 21305 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 190 |

| Writing: | 80 |

| Concept/Design | 850 |

| Msc: | 100 |

| Total: | 21340 |

Comments:

The use of “angry birds-esque” gameplay with the decreased range and increased destruction as the bird fattens is a delightful and creative idea which is pulled off rather well here. I found this game to have it’s own charm and be a solid take on a classic. Good job on this submission.

Scores

Art: 863

Writing: 88

Sound: 560

Design: 4985

Total: 107056