Ideas/Suggestions

If there are any resources that can be hosted here on the Weight Gaming servers, just let me know. I don’t mind trying to set this stuff up so that you all don’t have to host it publicly.

It’s definitely possible for games written in Inform to be played online without the player needing to download an interpreter, through something called Parchment–if you look at ifdb.tads.org , the interactive fiction database, quite a lot of them are playable right off their pages. I’ve never actually set it up myself, though, so I don’t know exactly what’s involved.

I’ll definitely look into it when I finish this version- it does seem like an interesting engine, although I’m not sure if I see a way to make it more “user friendly”-IE not requiring you to type everything.

I didn’t mess around much though.

What if you used the mirrors to give a hint at the level of drunkenness and bloating? Have it return a message based on the internal value, so you’d get three lines back when you looked at yourself in the mirror. One for bloatedness, one for how intoxicated you look/feel, and then one for the clothes you’re wearing? Seems like there’s already a hidden counter somewhere that keeps track of this, so the mirror would check the number and display a message accordingly.

I’m not sure if how much alcohol Kriss consumes will have any bearing on the game yet, but it does get a different reaction from Jamie whether you’ve had a few beers, or none at all.

[quote=“irritatedpotato, post:24, topic:900”]What if you used the mirrors to give a hint at the level of drunkenness and bloating? Have it return a message based on the internal value, so you’d get three lines back when you looked at yourself in the mirror. One for bloatedness, one for how intoxicated you look/feel, and then one for the clothes you’re wearing? Seems like there’s already a hidden counter somewhere that keeps track of this, so the mirror would check the number and display a message accordingly.

I’m not sure if how much alcohol Kriss consumes will have any bearing on the game yet, but it does get a different reaction from Jamie whether you’ve had a few beers, or none at all.[/quote]

There’s actually only one actual “Counter” and it’s for bloat level- it’s a number that goes up and down with items used. The drunkeness is two static items- beers consumed and then the flask, so that’s not really something that’s going to factor into the game beyond the individual checks the game does.

As for a mirror reflecting bloat level and clothing worn… There is one! It’s in the attic, though.

My thought process was that by putting it into an area that requires some light puzzle solving to get to, it’s more of a reward to see the more detailed descriptions.

Maybe in this update or the next i’ll just make every mirror function the same way, so that it’s not so prohibitive.

Flexible Survival is an example of an Inform game that can be played in-browser. It says it uses Quixe which is a Javascript interpreter. The Quixe page explains how to get Inform to create the files to upload. I haven’t tried it (I’ve never written an Inform game), but I’ve played Flexible Survival a lot!

Flexible Survival is an example of an Inform game that can be played in-browser. It says it uses Quixe which is a Javascript interpreter. The Quixe page explains how to get Inform to create the files to upload. I haven’t tried it (I’ve never written an Inform game), but I’ve played Flexible Survival a lot![/quote]

This is all pretty neat and everything, but I’m probably going to stick with the Text Adventures/Quest format., partially because that Inform engine hitches up like crazy every time I do anything…