Ideas/Suggestions

I have a lot planned for Day One, but I’d still love to hear suggestions about where to take the story, ideas for new items, etc., so fire away!

Ok, so you’ll probably already know quite a few of my suggestions as I posted them on Deviantart.

-More choice of discussion: when talking to Jamie, or other characters, you can just click and talk to them, but not choose any specific reply. It only depends on the situation, for example a drunk Kriss is going to get this answer from Jamie, etc. So my suggestion would be to have different choices which would lead to different answers / reactions.

-More actions, such as being able to change clothes / underwear / hairstyle, or looking at yourself under various angles in the miror.

-A “random button”? Let’s say you’re bored or don’t know what to do, you could click there and you would have like a different action from Kriss, for example thinking about how fat she got, how much she hates Jamie, wishing she already moved, or flopping down on the futon, etc.

-In future chapters being able to play a different character, I think it’d be interesting to add a new point of view, for example you’d play Ron(nie) the father who has to go buy food for her chunky daughters. Or at least get some more info about them, or interactions.

Eh, more descriptions of bellies when you examine yourself or look a the mirror? And maybe more clothing to bust out of.

[quote=“Pachaking, post:2, topic:900”]Ok, so you’ll probably already know quite a few of my suggestions as I posted them on Deviantart.

-More choice of discussion: when talking to Jamie, or other characters, you can just click and talk to them, but not choose any specific reply. It only depends on the situation, for example a drunk Kriss is going to get this answer from Jamie, etc. So my suggestion would be to have different choices which would lead to different answers / reactions.

-More actions, such as being able to change clothes / underwear / hairstyle, or looking at yourself under various angles in the miror.

-A “random button”? Let’s say you’re bored or don’t know what to do, you could click there and you would have like a different action from Kriss, for example thinking about how fat she got, how much she hates Jamie, wishing she already moved, or flopping down on the futon, etc.

-In future chapters being able to play a different character, I think it’d be interesting to add a new point of view, for example you’d play Ron(nie) the father who has to go buy food for her chunky daughters. Or at least get some more info about them, or interactions.[/quote]

I’ll take your points in order:

-That’s definitely an idea for the future, namely when I finally put in the Stepmom- I hope to have a lot more interactions with her, since, even though there are several lines of dialogue you can trigger with Jamie, it’s obvious that people aren’t seeing many of them.

-Random button would be pretty hard to implement with the engine I’m using- not to say it isn’t possible in the future, but it’s not something I’m going to try and do until I’m much more familiar with the engine itself.

-That’s honestly part of my plan, I have a rough draft started of a level that takes place the day of the beach bikini picture, where you’ll play as the guy she has a crush on, and you’ll be able to switch between the two- although that’s going to take a significantly longer time, since moving the player character between different people is a whole mess of new challenges.

There will definitely be more clothing to burst out of, don’t worry- and I’m going to have more mirrors in different rooms that are focused on different areas of description, so I’m sure you’ll get plenty of belly descriptions in the future.

Maybe the option to look at yourself without the mirror (aside from the default “lookin’ good” message)? Maybe not anything as dynamic as the mirror, but maybe it could describe how Kriss is feeling (bloated, tired, etc.).

So, fun fact:

The “lookin’ good” thing is the default for the engine. WAAAAY back when i first started making the game, I deleted the object called “player”, which means the game automatically “creates” a character that you play the game as.

I’ve tried to reimpliment it a few times, but the game doesn’t recognize it as the player character, and if I make the new object the “player” then it breaks the whole game.

So basically, the Quest engine isn’t without it’s faults/ I’m too dumb to use it.

However, you should be happy to know that I’m implementing more mirrors in various locations in the game, which will focus on various attributes (one will focus on how bloated you are, etc)

What if there was a way to get Jamie involved either with outgrown clothes, or on a pig out? Could use the beer, or other alcohol to get her drunk enough to let her inhibitions down?

There are plans for more character interactions in the future… but I really like this idea. I may have to try and implement that at some point.

Awesome. Enjoyed the first part immensely.

Are you planning on any progressive weight gain, or is the scope mainly going to be limited to stuffing?

A unique snickers + beer mirror description could be cool (although I can kind of see this sort of thing might become increasingly difficult to manage as statuses are added).

Also, I’d love to see a scenario for if you become too bloated for the hatch while you’re in the attic (although the text for entering the attic suggest you might have had that idea already).

[quote=“irritatedpotato, post:10, topic:900”]Awesome. Enjoyed the first part immensely.

Are you planning on any progressive weight gain, or is the scope mainly going to be limited to stuffing?[/quote]

Since the game takes place during one day, there won’t be noticeable weight gain in this particular “chapter”

However, the plan is, once this one is done, to do a second game, that takes place in the future, where Kriss has progressed even further into her lethargy and gluttony, where she will be significantly heavier.

There will be, in the future, something that reflects that you’ve eaten all of the food available, reflecting your bloat level more as you continue to eat.

Trust me, that’s the plan ;D

I had an idea for the game you might be interested in. The game obviously keeps hidden track of things like bloatedness and drunkenness, but it’s hard for the player to know what’s going on there. I propose a “check status” button that allows you to read different descriptions based on how bloated/drunk/whatever status effect you are. It’s more rewarding and immersive for the player to be able to get feedback on that stuff.

I played around with this and really loved it, I was sorry when I got to the end and I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes! Have you ever worked with Inform7? I’ve found it to work a lot better than Quest for uses like tracking a factor that can be influenced by several different things (such as level of fullness)–you can do that in Quest, but you have to get into the guts of the code more in a way that I never mastered. It also has the Hybrid Choices extension, which works great for modeling conversations.

This is probably something that will become more apparent when more of the game is finished, but I was curious about what my ultimate goal was in the game–what’s Kriss trying to accomplish, beyond just wandering around?

[quote=“Supercake, post:16, topic:900”]I played around with this and really loved it, I was sorry when I got to the end and I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes! Have you ever worked with Inform7? I’ve found it to work a lot better than Quest for uses like tracking a factor that can be influenced by several different things (such as level of fullness)–you can do that in Quest, but you have to get into the guts of the code more in a way that I never mastered. It also has the Hybrid Choices extension, which works great for modeling conversations.

This is probably something that will become more apparent when more of the game is finished, but I was curious about what my ultimate goal was in the game–what’s Kriss trying to accomplish, beyond just wandering around?[/quote]

Hmm, I’ll have to look into that Inform7 program!

And the goal of Day One, is, I’ve kinda decided- to hit a certain level of bloatedness, which will trigger the “end” of the day.

The next game will be a lot more freeform in options and possible endings (going to work, leaving, etc.) but while I’m learning the program, the game is going to take place just at the house.

The good thing about Quest though, is one can host it online for free with relative ease. I don’t know of any online Iform7 processors.

Yeah… That’s a bit of a snag in that plan, then. I’m already getting a lot of comments with people struggling to play this game online as it is, changing engines to something that requires more technical know-how will probably limit my player base.

I appreciate the idea though- I might still play around with that engine eventually.

I did my first couple of games in Quest and I got several complaints that they’d be easier to use if it was in Inform–I think Quest doesn’t work on macs, among other issues. You can host games for free on ifarchive (http://www.ifarchive.org/) but of course then it has to be publically available, which you might not want. (Games released outside of competitions generally get almost no attention anyway, though) You do have to get the glulx interpreter and play it offline, so it’s slightly more complicated, but not too hard.

I mostly bring it up because something live ‘level of bloatedness’ is really hard to simulate in Quest if you have multiple factors that can affect it; already in this you’ve got the beer and the chocolate bars and they seem to run through two different kinds of scenarios independently of each other (such as the button popping off only being caused by the beer). Whereas in Inform it’s a little easier to manage something like a number for ‘fullness’ that goes up and down and triggers different effects (called scenes) when it does.