Information

This is it. This is the game.

I’ve been working on and off for the last two weeks putting a base engine together for a project I wanted to work on in RPG Maker - currently called “Tower” until something better comes along.

The concept - A mysterious tower has appeared and has cursed the land with food, but incredibly hostile food. It’s been said that if anyone is able to slay the evil queen at the top, the curse will lift. For the past few years, many troops and armies went into the tower, but nobody has ever come out. Two adventurers, Kikyou and Senna, take it upon themselves to scale the tower and rid their land of the curse.

The gameplay - Think “RPG with expansion elements”. I’m wanting this to be a game first and kinkiness as a side-effect.
it’s RPG maker, but I wouldn’t be satisfied with the stock RPG Maker battles and menus. I’ve put in an ATB system proper, and the name of the game is combo strings and spell incantations.
Kikyou’s basic attack pattern is a 4-stage combo attack, and her skills tend to involve on-the-fly combos…
And Senna’s spellbook is full of elemental, or otherwise deadly spell rituals

However, restoring your strength isn’t done by traditional methods. Since the tower is cursed itself, there’s no healing spots for the naive adventurers, but luckily they’re in a tower full of food! Instead, you just eat the tasty enemies outright to restore your strength, or eat food outside of battle (battles are too hectic to stop and have a snack from your pack!). And they’re basically mindless hostile food golems, so it’s morally OK!

Unfortunately, eating these tasty foods makes you fat. However, it’s a boon! Each “layer” of the tower has a weight requirement needed to go to the next layer – too light, and you won’t be able to progress. Luckily, getting fat in this tower should be easy enough. But watch out for the witch’s guardian golems blocking the way to the weighing room!

Currently, I am working on art assets for this project. My spriting isn’t too good yet, but it’s mostly in concept states anyhow.

“Not Too good?” Sir, I think you need glasses, cause that DOES look pretty good! I cannot “weight” to play this once it’s finished! As of how it looks currently, I think you’ll have no trouble finishing it up. No rush, no rush.

Looks like a solid start to a project! Good luck getting your sprites done, and make sure you look in the resource thread for things that might help you along with that!

The battle system does certainly look interesting and different. I’ll be eager to see it for myself when you get some kind of release lined up.

I mean, I’d be supportive of this if it weren’t a total rip-off of my game’s story but in RPGMaker form lol

Edit: Figured I should elaborate a little. To put it into perspective, both of our games’ stories revolve around a tower and a witch who controls it, and my game is called “Turris Puesco” which literally translates to “Fat Tower” from latin. I apologize if I sound rude, but you have to understand where I’m coming from here. I’ve been working on my game for about 2 years now and coded it from the ground up, and to see an RPGMaker game turn up with such a similar story and the creator claiming to have started working on it weeks ago, it does sting a little.

[quote=“Cryptic, post:5, topic:1010”]I mean, I’d be supportive of this if it weren’t a total rip-off of my game’s story but in RPGMaker form lol

Edit: Figured I should elaborate a little. To put it into perspective, both of our games’ stories revolve around a tower and a witch who controls it, and my game is called “Turris Puesco” which literally translates to “Fat Tower” from latin. I apologize if I sound rude, but you have to understand where I’m coming from here. I’ve been working on my game for about 2 years now and coded it from the ground up, and to see an RPGMaker game turn up with such a similar story and the creator claiming to have started working on it weeks ago, it does sting a little.[/quote]

Why does it sting? I had no intention of ripping you off. I’m sorry if it feels that way, but it isn’t what I’m doing. If anything I’m ripping off Persona 3 with the tower structure. Do you want me to stop?

[quote=“Purrine, post:6, topic:1010”][quote=“Cryptic, post:5, topic:1010”]I mean, I’d be supportive of this if it weren’t a total rip-off of my game’s story but in RPGMaker form lol

Edit: Figured I should elaborate a little. To put it into perspective, both of our games’ stories revolve around a tower and a witch who controls it, and my game is called “Turris Puesco” which literally translates to “Fat Tower” from latin. I apologize if I sound rude, but you have to understand where I’m coming from here. I’ve been working on my game for about 2 years now and coded it from the ground up, and to see an RPGMaker game turn up with such a similar story and the creator claiming to have started working on it weeks ago, it does sting a little.[/quote]

Why does it sting? I had no intention of ripping you off. I’m sorry if it feels that way, but it isn’t what I’m doing. If anything I’m ripping off Persona 3 with the tower structure. Do you want me to stop?[/quote]

I wouldn’t want you to stop as that’s just depriving the community of wg content and nobody wins in that case. I don’t know where you are in terms of developing the story of your game, but perhaps we could work together such that both games take place in the same universe? I feel that having two games with a similar story cheapens both. Whereas if they were related in some way it would have the opposite effect and create more depth to the universe they take place in. Maybe it’s narcissistic of me to even suggest that, I dunno, just throwing things out there though.

[quote=“Cryptic, post:7, topic:1010”][quote=“Purrine, post:6, topic:1010”][quote=“Cryptic, post:5, topic:1010”]I mean, I’d be supportive of this if it weren’t a total rip-off of my game’s story but in RPGMaker form lol

Why does it sting? I had no intention of ripping you off. I’m sorry if it feels that way, but it isn’t what I’m doing. If anything I’m ripping off Persona 3 with the tower structure. Do you want me to stop?[/quote]

I wouldn’t want you to stop as that’s just depriving the community of wg content and nobody wins in that case. I don’t know where you are in terms of developing the story of your game, but perhaps we could work together such that both games take place in the same universe? I feel that having two games with a similar story cheapens both. Whereas if they were related in some way it would have the opposite effect and create more depth to the universe they take place in. Maybe it’s narcissistic of me to even suggest that, I dunno, just throwing things out there though.[/quote]

I would agree that no one wants anyone to stop developing (as Cryptic pointed out, no one wins in that scenario). I’m sure an agreement can be reached, and will hope that responses remain civil (as they have thus far).

looks fun and i love hostile food. looking forward to seeing more it.

My team has been scooped on projects before, and it does sting. However, I would suggest that it is likely the two games are going to be sufficiently different in terms of gameplay and story that they deserve their own independent releases, rather than combining them into a single universe.

As far as the stories being similar, I would say that there are only a few archetypal weight gain games at this point, and it was inevitable that two would be developed at around the same time that had similar prima facie story structures. Maybe cryptic and Purrine can compare notes on where they expect their respective stories to go and see if they really are similar? Having a tower as the central motivating MacGuffin for the protagonist(s) and a witch as the central antagonist can’t be the entirety of their plots, after all. If both of them have a large amount of backstory that they intend to reveal as protagonists progress, it is extremely unlikely that the stories will be very similar on further examination. And if there is not a large amount of backstory to one or both games, then the tower and witch are probably are not particularly important story details. In this case, if one of these projects changed the antagonist to a magical fairy and the main structure to an underground dungeon, there would likely be very little game change necessary. But, then, in this case, the main draw of the game will be the gameplay and not the story anyway.

Anyway, that’s just my 2 cents, and I am really looking forward to seeing where both games eventually go.

Purrine brought to my attention in a PM that beyond the tower and the antagonist there aren’t any more similarities between our stories. And of course the gameplay will be completely different seeing as his is ATB with graphics and mine is classic turn based. I’m excited to play the demo! :slight_smile:

Depending on the speed how you make progress, when will you release the demo?

It’s looking to be about 2~4 weeks out. I vastly underestimated the art needed for this. - ^-
At least, to the quality I wanted it to be.

[quote=“Purrine, post:13, topic:1010”]It’s looking to be about 2~4 weeks out. I vastly underestimated the art needed for this. - ^-
At least, to the quality I wanted it to be.[/quote]

Make the very best thing you can; we’ll be patient.

It’s better than having it all bugged/glitchy.

THESE SPRITES ARE CUTE AS HELL :smiley: :smiley:

I love the idea of the enemy eating mechanic too!

Yeah, definitely keeping tabs on this. Take your time. A better game is worth the wait! Trust me, we in this community are nothing if not patient!

Just played through the tech demo today, and aside from the debug plaza nature and placeholders, (which were mentioned going in) it’s looking really good so far! I especially like the skill-based twist on the formula you went with!

And as my title would suggest, I adore the shape Senna takes, and am eagerly awaiting finished art! Nice work so far!

When is the full game released?