Interest Check: Mutants and Masterminds

Looking good! Two of you personally knowing other people hit by the Wave is a little unusual, but…

writes in outline while grinning maniacally

I can work with that.

I’ll get a main thread for the campaign down in Roleplaying tonight or tomorrow. Before we kick it off, a few things:

Would every prefer to do this via Play By Post (everything on the forum), or should I find us a chatroom and figure out a schedule we can all play on?

I’ve made a few tweaks to the rules:

Hunger now imposes a Concentration check (10 + Hunger) when actively using powers, instead of flat out lowering power ranks. After considering how Hungry Work would impact play and taking a deeper look at Hunger in general, that seems more fair and in the spirit of the concept.

One new Feat, Belt Buster. Snap restraints with food instead of force!

One new Flaw, Edible. If only your constructs weren’t so darn delicious, they would last longer.

If anyone wants to shuffle some points around to take advantage, feel free. If I find it necessary to rebalance a rule after play begins, I’ll allow everyone to respec relevant points if they don’t like the new versions.

I’m a fan of play by post, but I can work with either one. Looking forwards to it, although a GM grinning manically is always worrying…

One thing I might consider is making the Concentration check for Hunger something like 6 to 8 + Hunger. Otherwise it might be a bit debilitating, with a 50%ish chance to fail powers with just one stack of hunger. Or everyone would just have to take lots of ranks in Concentration. I don’t know how you plan on doing it though, so that’s just me.

My sheet is pretty much done, if you’d give it a once-over. I think I might not quite get how dodge works though. It’s just half of your defense bonus, so since I haven’t put points in defense I have no dodge and the base 10 def, right?

Fair point. I might also just make it a Will Save, but in either case 8+ makes it more of a lurking concern than something that disrupts the flow of a fight.

And yeah, that how Dodge works out. There are a couple statuses that can potentially drop you below 10 Defense, but for the most part that’s the baseline.

Personally i think play by play would work best. And im adding the edible bonus because that should be fun to play around with

I’m definitely with the others as far as play by post working the best. Finding a consistent chunk of time to RP in a chatroom has been hard lately.

Also, a couple of questions about the new hunger rules. Does that mean that we no longer gain more hunger from using powers, just it’s harder to use powers while hungry? More specific to my character, would that still apply to her snare where the point is to try and eat something? For the growth power I assume it’d require the check to actually increase in size, but not to maintain it.

[quote=“masterful, post:45, topic:917”]I’m definitely with the others as far as play by post working the best. Finding a consistent chunk of time to RP in a chatroom has been hard lately.

Also, a couple of questions about the new hunger rules. Does that mean that we no longer gain more hunger from using powers, just it’s harder to use powers while hungry? More specific to my character, would that still apply to her snare where the point is to try and eat something? For the growth power I assume it’d require the check to actually increase in size, but not to maintain it.[/quote]
Hunger counters are still going to get doled out on occasion, but it won’t be every turn unless you’ve got Hungry Work. Growth is Sustained, meaning it takes some minimal effort to keep going, so Hungry Work would apply every round. Without Hungry Work, maybe one when you embiggen and another when you resmall, more if you keep it active for awhile. The check would only be required to activate a Sustained power, not to keep it going.

I’m willing to waive adding Hunger and requiring Concentration checks on Snare if you’ll take a Stuffed counter on success. In fact… Bam, Nourishing, that’s now a +0 Extra that does exactly that.

[quote=“Heavy Heretic, post:46, topic:917”][quote=“masterful, post:45, topic:917”]I’m definitely with the others as far as play by post working the best. Finding a consistent chunk of time to RP in a chatroom has been hard lately.

Also, a couple of questions about the new hunger rules. Does that mean that we no longer gain more hunger from using powers, just it’s harder to use powers while hungry? More specific to my character, would that still apply to her snare where the point is to try and eat something? For the growth power I assume it’d require the check to actually increase in size, but not to maintain it.[/quote]
Hunger counters are still going to get doled out on occasion, but it won’t be every turn unless you’ve got Hungry Work. Growth is Sustained, meaning it takes some minimal effort to keep going, so Hungry Work would apply every round. Without Hungry Work, maybe one when you embiggen and another when you resmall, more if you keep it active for awhile. The check would only be required to activate a Sustained power, not to keep it going.

I’m willing to waive adding Hunger and requiring Concentration checks on Snare if you’ll take a Stuffed counter on success. In fact… Bam, Nourishing, that’s now a +0 Extra that does exactly that.[/quote]

And BAM! Nourishing added to her sheet. It seems appropriate for how the power is flavored.

And here… We… Go.

I’ve put the game thread up in Roleplaying.

The post is more establishing the setting than setting the scene for an episode, I’d advise against anyone engaging Bounce out of the gate. That’s punching above your weight class for now.

Just establish what your character is up to and I’ll do what I can to guide them together for a proper encounter (a little help there would be appreciated, try to avoid being all the way across town from one another).

Wow, that is one intense and amazing intro post to follow up. You’re gonna make me have to bring out my A game.

Hmmm… and I guess Emma could probably use a hero name.

Your call, I don’t have an objection to taking the Jessica Jones route.

I’ll see if I think of anything I like. Until then, I think this seems like a good opportunity for a running gag.

Wow. With masterful on that, great intro! Hmm, gotta think about what the char is doing for this, I love it!

Quick question and possible change to make to Emma’s snare power, if it isn’t too late. Would adding a requirement that the target is grappled reduce the cost by 1 pp/level? That seems like its make more sense, just wasn’t directly listed in the book.

Hmm. I’d say, if you’re replacing the Ref save it’s the same cost, because you’re effectively just changing the save. If you’re adding the grapple in addition to the save, that’s a -1. In addition, the Attack bonus in your grapple check would be replaced by the power rank. They’re currently identical, but I just want to establish that point.

Edit: adsein, I just want to clarify, is Temperance going to the frozen yogurt shop, or an unrelated ice cream parlor? I can handle either (if you’re willing to wait a bit longer than the others to get drawn in), I just want to be sure of your intentions.

I was thinking something like it having to be a 2-turn process. In the first turn Emma has to initiate a grapple either by itself or as unarmed attack+improved grab. Then next turn for her standard action if she still has somebody grappled she can activate the snare.

I think that would leave the actual things being rolled as they are currently with the snare being Power vs. Ref, just now there would be a condition on when the power could actually be used.

Shes heading into the frozen yougurt place just misread the post

For anyone unfamiliar with the forums dice rolling (it took me a few tries), this is the format:

[ roll ]1d20+5[ /roll ](Take out the spaces. Apparently putting a Roll inside a Code block doesn’t make it code?)

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+5 : 15 + 5, total 20

Is there any point in me taking the huger related concentration checks if my concentration bonus is + 9

Apparently all that Emma notices is that she might need to get seconds after this. Man I love low Wis characters in these types of games.

Not on the first Hunger counter, but Hunger is cumulative and it would become possible to fail on the third counter. I’ve never liked auto-fail-on-a-one, so I won’t make anyone roll a check they’d make on their bonus alone, just keep in mind it will become an issue if you ignore it entirely.

I once ran a campaign where one PC consistently failed spot checks. By a lot. “You know how if you cover your ears with your hands, the rushing blood sounds like lava? You hear lava.”

Eventually they decided to make a check in the middle of a journey, at a point where I couldn’t figure out a single thing for them to find, and got a nat 20. “You peer into the distant sky, past forest, over hill, through low fog and distant cloud. There, on the horizon, is a single, grand, mountain, and at its peak a burst of fire. You can see lava.