Is RPG Maker XP Any Good?

It got marked as free on Steam and I obtained it for myself but is it possible to even make a wg game on it?

2 Likes

Uhhhhh
i think its possible, but as far as i am aware of, the best version is MZ. Its worth it, even if it costs more.

1 Like

I know someone made one(or one in 2k3) so I’d say it’s possible(if not then free is free)

1 Like

It’s certainly possible to make a WG game with it, it’s just (understandably) more limited than its successors. XP’s main draw is Pokemon Essentials, a popular template for fan games, but for any other project it would be better to go for MZ, and even then only when it’s on sale. Still, free is a hard price to argue with, so if you want to get a taste of what the engine is like then go for it. And for anyone else interested, you have until 19th February to grab it.

1 Like

I’ve been working on making an WG game in XP, but it’s been a while since I started on the project and I haven’t worked on it since last year-ish. It’s possible though, you just need to get used to variables and common events.

1 Like

Oh so I could make a Pokemon fangame with it that’s good to know. That could be good practice.

Yeah I friend in a discord server mentioned it, I went ahead and got XP but don’t know if I’ll ever end up touching it. At least now if I ever want to get a taste of RPG Maker, I got something I can start and mess around with.

1 Like