Juxtaterrestrial's Total Belly Conversion Mod Devblog (v1-1-0 and earlier)

So i have two bare bones jobs done. A day worker harvester at a mushroom farm, and a strip club where you can participate in an ‘open pole night’.

Like a lot of the content I’m making now, it is bare-bones. Don’t expect epic scale content. Or characters comment on gain yet. That’s coming later with the skills update sometime down the line.

Since this is a total conversion mod my goal is to get the world to just above a stub level - so that it looks passable - so i can get a release out quick. Then, because every place has a basic description and functionality, i can go back as i please and flesh out areas more.

So both work places are ‘click button earn money’. I hope to flesh that out later. For now, the mushroom place does work in 4 hour blocks so you’re not just spam clicking to pass a whole ‘shift’. I don’t know how much detail that job will have later? it’s kinda intended to be something any character can do as a fallback. It’s open 24/7 because realistically, some mushrooms are best harvested at specific times, so having day laborers(or night laborers) sticking around for that moment would be worth it.

The strip club (named Curves, and More. get it? Cause there’s going to be a hidden fatty strip club as well??? Eh? Eh? You understand.) is mostly just click and maybe get money. It calculates a random number and determines how well you do and how much you get paid. In the future what i want to do is when you do a strip ‘job’ you get a choice of a few things to do. Like twerk or belly dance, or poll dance. And when i have skills implemented, those will pay out based on how good you are at them. i think it will be a good middle ground between click for money, and me trying to make some kind of stripping mini game that probably wouldn’t be all the fun TBH.

As another matter, i really want to emphasize with my content that Your proxies are not slaves. They’re employees. There is no talk of ‘master’ and no doing things against the characters will. Thematically your proxy chose this crazy experiment. And i will increasingly try to make this clear. For example, in these two jobs i note that ‘you’ are only getting half of the total payout of a job, and that the proxy contract specifies that they get half of any monetary contracts. After all they wouldn’t realistically be a proxy forever right? They’d have life goals and what not. The way i see it is they get a signing bonus and then get to keep half of what ever money they earn (while also getting food and rent paid for by the company.

Beyond that I’m not doing the whole ‘lewdness’ concept, and here’s why.

1. Its not fun to have to ‘train’ a proxy how to be comfortable with sex every time you start a new game. It’s just not interesting IMO.
  2. Its kinda rapey? If the lady you’re inhabiting doesn’t want to do it why would they stick around? the bade game kinda makes it clear that low lewdness characters hate the sexual stuff. Its just… Makes me uncomfortable without giving me much in return.
  3. Listen. In any case, this person signed up to let some disembodied person inhabit them. Feel what they feel. See what they see. Do what they suggest you do. they had to have known sexual stuff would come up. Like - it has to be there in bold letters on the contract. I am going into this remodel with the assumption that the people who sign up to be your proxy are aware that some kinky shit might happen and are at least cool with exploring it. They also probably have some idea that their body my undergo changes as well (wg duh). Not sure how more extreme stuff will turn out yet. Maybe they’re just getting paid a lot to be subjected to it all. or they also have some kind of body changing submissive kink themselves.
5 Likes

Also here is a bit of a lore dump:

This overhaul takes places in my Belly Literary Universe, 20 years after the start of the events of the stories(2040).

Read it here… Always Be Branding…

The world of the Belly Literary Universe is a scifi setting. It’s a slightly altered version of the real world where things went a bit better over the past 100 years than they actually did. Borrowing from Prey(2017), Kennedy wasn’t assassinated, and butterflying out of that the space program in the USA kept going until the modern day, pushing technological and social boundaries. I’ll avoid any politics because of the rules, but in the setting the two modern political parties in the BLU-USA are two technocratic parties The Aggregationists and the Trancensionists. very briefly the Aggregationists believe in a form of separated direct democracy. You get to vote on things you know about - farmers get to decide agricultural policy pilots and aerospace engineers get to vote on laws about planes and rockets. Etc. Its a party about expertise - a distributed technocratic democracy. The Trancensionists advocate for a world where governmental functions are handled by sophisticated AIs. They believe that super AIs are dangerous and inevitable, and that it is in humanity’s best interest to instead create a super AI themselves, and design it to have humanity’s best interest at heart. After all if a destructive super AI rises up it’s best to have one of our own to fight back.

On the other side of the world, the soviet union collapsed. During the long decline scientists fled. Due to a bunch of alternate history event they took refuge in the Balkans. Against all odds a new world power rose up in Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Hungary, Bosnia and the other Balkan countries. From the ashes of the world wars, the Balkan Federation rose up. Scientists from Italy, Germany, and Russia all came turning the devastated land into a scientific and industrial juggernaut. To this modern day in (2040) they remain the main rival of the USA. There is much less nuclear posturing, and more technological competition for the latest and greatest. They’re not peaceful, and have nuclear weapons, but are not willing to use them offensively, instead relying on high quality training, state of the art technology, and plenty of back room diplomacy.

ANYWAY, what does that mean for the game world?

The total conversion keeps some of the framework. You died and your brain somehow got saved. Decades later an engineer is working on a project around digital minds. He finds that there is some problem with keeping minds digitized. Something about the digital world and the lack of real brain signals or chemistry tends to make the digital mind unstable over time. So the project of the game allows you to upload you mind to someone brain implant so you can experience real human sensations to maintain your sanity. Your proxy has a brain implant and has chosen to support the program for what ever reason (adventurous, wants to advance science/technology, or maybe is just curious).

I think that’s enough lore for now. My story definitely provide some context about how this world will play out as well. there is conspiracies, technology, and definitely bellies.

5 Likes

Oh and i forgot my checklist.

Here is what I need to get done for the initial release.

• More food and places to buy food (a fast food place, an artisanal place, a restaurant maybe? a grocery store and a more high quality grocery store.
  • Things to buy. I want to add some stores that offer non food things to buy. I should be able to just copy and paste the hair salon i made for the previous mod. The scale and measuring tape comes to mind. Maybe some experiences? Watch a stripper? i dunno.
  • Do some finishing touches on the descriptions. Maybe re do the breasts size descriptions
  • Maybe add a metric/ imperial toggle for measurements and or a previous measurement option? Those are both maybes.
  • And more in game help options
  • maybe I’ll re do the weight loss math too to make it loss less.

That’s what i want to get done for an initial release. Not a whole lot left, all things considered

6 Likes

Ideas for things you can buy medicines ingrediants or perhaps secret postions you can put into npc food or something. (Ik you said not edible but figured id mention those first) perhaps items that the contracts can do to boost their happyness in the free time. perhaps even make some extra cash while thats happening. For exsample a artist set and then have a task be to paint/draw and you can sell the art for some cash though at first not much after a month or longer the ammount would be higher. if that makes sense you could also perhaps have tattoos be a thing though I would have it depend on the contract if they want one or certain ones that way it adds a bit more depth to the contracts and another layer of conflicts like if you get them a tat they didn’t want happyness goes down ect… (you could have this same want/dont want with the free time items) just a sugestion could be for now or eons later

I don’t plan on making a crafting type system. I think those are largely complemented with finding ingredients through exploration. And i don’t plan on trying to figure out how to make exploration interesting with the engine.

And plus i don’t think crafting type stuff works as well in a sci fi setting where modern industry exists.

As for producing good, i don’t really have plans for that, i don’t personally find that setting a proxy to do an activity and then juts sitting and watching is all that compelling for gameplay? So i don’t have plans for that.

As for tattoos - i guess it’s something i could manage? But it might be a lot of work for not much reward. It might be something i do in the future, but it’d be at the end of a long long list of priorities.

1 Like

I just thought of an idea for a lore change. How about the proxy and player characters temporarily merge consciousness when the proxy is in use? Gameplay wise, it already feels like it, so how about making the gameplay and lore fit with each other?

Sorry if I’m being a bit of an armchair developer.

Would make things harder to write tbh.

Hmmm I didn’t see anything about like if your character can be come a different species like turning into those neko-like ones or cow-like ones is that become possible in this one? Ohh also wut about the previous mods do we get ride of them or over write when this download or is this a game it self?

There are no mods that will be comparable with this mod because of how fundamental the changes are.

It’s a scifi earth setting so no catgirls or cow girls.

That being said If some one wanted to mod them back in it wouldn’t be that hard.

As for installation? I’m not sure yet? It should probably be as simple as normal installation. stuff should over write just fine and cut out older content. Maybe. I’ll be doing testing once things are in place.

2 Likes

What about images? I know for the most part its a text game, but what little images there were do add alot atleast for me. So much so that with past versions of FM ive added hundreds of images to represent sizes and even environments. Just about every frame had an image. Gamedata>img has turned into quite the gallery to say the least. Will you be keeping the already present images and using them and/or making your own? If it comes down to having images commissioned id loved to help out with $$$. Same goes for Kelri’s Gain as well.

I don’t have any images planned currently. And i wont be using the ones in the base game because i have no idea who made them or if they ever gave permission for them to be used - much less for my project. I’d love to have images, but i also don’t want to grab random stuff without permission.

Also when it comes to random images, i feel like too often it incentivizes me or other devs to make content that fits time image rather than the other way around?

I do want to have images though and i have a few schemes and ideas about how to do it.

I might do a crowdfunding thing where i have a certain set of images to fund (like a collection of backgrounds or npc’s).

Or i might put up a list of art that needs down, and solicit people to submit stuff? (though i don’t expect many people would contribute in that way.

But besides that, there wont be images for the initial launch.

5 Likes

Thanks for explaining about that still can’t wait to play though

4 Likes

Am I correct in assuming that the release will be after part 1 of your story is completed?

Depends on how long it takes to make it. I don’t have any intention of including story spoilers till after they’re out, but that’s mostly because i don’t want to ham fist them into the game. First release will be super basic.

I haven’t done a lot of work recently because or IRL stuff and game jam stuff though

3 Likes

I must say, this is very exciting. Not just because I like what I’m seeing, but because it could make it a lot easier for me to create my own shit with—the old fat system was really a pain to work with, and this new one sounds like it could be a lot more modular and therefore flexible. For instance, if I were to make a dragon girl mod, it sounds like there’d now be a framework to add a “tail” body part that could also get fatter. I’m not sure if that would be feasible in practice, but I certainly hope it would.

Granted, I’m still not sure if the engine can actually handle what I’d want to do with it (specifically a lamia mod and maybe other things like it), since I seem to remember that the game was very heavily built around a fully humanoid character, but I might have another go if I knew I could make it compatible with this if I got it working.

The bit about a mobility system makes me wonder what all will be done to make characters “feel” fat and how that will play-out, since… I don’t honestly remember how old versions handled it, but I’m just thinking about the little, mundane things that make your character’s size and weight more than just words and numbers in their bio, so to speak. For example, (and I’m using these just to illustrate a point, not specifically suggesting them) a character might start to have trouble bending-over or getting in and out of a car as they get bigger. I feel like a lot of games forget to make your character’s weight impact gameplay or interactions, so a fat character ends-up feeling no different than a thin one. It doesn’t have to be anything too significant, of course—just flavor text will suffice, and from what you’ve said overall, it sounds like you’re already keeping that in mind, but I still wanted to bring it up. Especially because I hope that sort of thing affects less huge characters (like, a character who’s just a bit chubby wouldn’t have the same experience as one who’s really fat, but they’d still have a different experience than a thin one). I’m kinda rambling here, but I hope I’m still getting the point across.

On an unrelated note, I do feel the need to ask (even though I doubt it’ll ever become remotely relevant, because there’s a very slim chance I actually do this): how would you feel about someone making a mod that uses your systems but creates its own setting? Like, maybe a mod you install on top of this one to feature its own setting (if that’s even feasible). Again, I’m not saying I’d ever do that, because it sounds like a tremendous ordeal and I really don’t even know that much about coding/modding in the first place, but FM seems pretty approachable, so I might go-off getting ideas if I start playing it again.

1 Like

Adding different bodyparts shouldn’t be too hard. You’d have to do some work - set up genes, put in a few lines of code to each place where fat gets handled in the abdomen organ, but the framework should be easy enough to understand. You’ll also have to do all the descriptions and what not. So it wouldn’t be hard but there would be some work involved.

I don’t see that it would be much harder to make a lamia race personally.

As for mods, i don’t have a problem with the systems being used so long as its attributed. The only problem i tend to have is if someone wants to change my detailed characters. As a writer they’re close to my heart so suddenly having them do things they’d never do in my mind sort of bothers me. But systems are not characters.

So i don’t remember how much i’ve detailed about the thought/skill system i have in mind.

A lot of inspiration is going to be taken from Disco Elysium. It’s the bets written game I’ve ever played. I wont talk about all aspects of the writing here. What i think one of the best aspects of the games is that your skills are a piece of your characters. They’re not just abstractions of ability, but they offer commentary on things in the game. Each skill has a personality and act like the cliche devil or angel on your shoulder. Leveling up those skills makes it more likely that they will chip into conversations, opening up new dialogues, and giving important context to what you see.

And i want to bring that to Fetishmaster.

So what I’m planning for the second or third updates is to implements a few ‘skills’. The fluff will be that as you’re in the proxy’s brain hardware you have some limited access to read the proxy’s surface thoughts. To make things understandable the software translates these thoughts into categories and gives them a ‘voice’.

I plan on implementing them in a pretty modular way.

And i have a few ways in mind for them to manifest.

1. Comments as you traverse the world: Every location will have an includeall script that checks for commentable things in the location, and if your skill + chance is high enough it will put a comment in the text. This should also in places include the option to investigate further. For example a high perception skill might comment that there is a secluded store front down an alley (unlocking the ability to go to that store)

2. Conversations: They should comment in a similar way in conversations with NPCs. On a more advanced level, when i port over the random npc systems from my abandon mod, this should make conversations feel organic. Once i give npcs these skills as well, then it becomes somewhat trivial to make npcs able to randomly pick conversation topics(compared to trying to iterate conversations and dialogue trees). You or them would be able to pick a topic, or comment on a topic. Then you should be able to change topics based on what your skills have to say. It sounds complicated, but i have an outline in my head.

3. Skill checks: In Disco Elysium, part of the fun is that you don’t need to spend all your skill points right as you use them. If you fail a check it locks out out, but you can unlock the check again by putting a skill point in it. it encourages saving skill points for check resets and building broadly rather than picking one things and maxing it. I want to try a similar thing where you have skill checks at various places to convince people of things, to convince your proxy to do things. You know. Gameplay stuff. Its a way to implement skills, a level up mechanic, and gating of content that doesn’t just rely on grinding and luck. At least i hope, haha. One of my goals with this mod is to make fetish master more of the thing worth playing, as well as being a cool body simulator.

Now all those things are kind of abstract, so let me paint a picture of how i want things to look.

There will be a few classes of skills. Ability skills (like perception, or strength and endurance), Skills skills (so like strip teasing or computer stuff, or persuasion), hobby skills (for personality type stuff as well as niche checks) , and sexual skills.

I figure the last one listed here is the most interesting atm. Sexual ‘skills’ is how I’ll do fetishes. Feedism. Feeder. Ventriphilia(the word i made up to represent my disproportionate belly fetish). One of the real motivation killers in my last mod was writing a million iterations of dialogue for different personality types and for different levels of various fetishes. This should solve some of that because it allows a character to have sort of a normal “eww fat” opinion and also have the feeder personality skill pipe in and be like “yeah, but look how hot it is to see them eat…”. It feels more realistic to me as it can display an inner conflict. And it cuts down on edge case writing.

Now to actually paint the picture of what i want to be able to happen. You have 3/10 in the feeder skill. Basically your proxy is normal, but with a sort of nagging feeder fetish. You walk into a diner and find a randomly created NPC. You talk to them. Because of various modifiers, your feeder skill rolls well and decides to pipe up, telling you and your proxy that man, it would be hot to see that chick eat. Because of your location you unlock a dialogue option to offer to buy a meal for the NPC. It turns out that the NPC is a feedee and accepts you meal, advancing your opinion of one another.

Another scenario. You have 8/10 feedee. you walk into town. You’re already way over weight so your tiredness goes up a lot with each location you move to. Because you’re tired, your proxy makes a fluff comment. Then because your proxy has strong feedee tendencies, the feedee skill chirps in talking about maybe they should relax and get something to eat. You go to a food store and again the feedee skill pipes in, urging you to have the proxy buy some food.

When i do this update I’ll be starting with just a few skills. Probably feedee, striptease, and like… Perception? But with how modular the system should turn out, it will be trivial to add new skills because the infrastructure will already be present. My hope is that this results in a vibrant world, with memorable characters to interact with.

Sorry for rambling a bit haha, but i’ve been thinking about the systems for weeks in detail.

13 Likes

Hey I’m alive.

-From this list i will not be doing imperial metric toggle. Maybe later.

-I wont be taking a second look at descriptions at this time, the ones now are perfectly fine to me. Will look at the further in later updates.

-I will not be working on the weight loss math further at this time. The mod will be about weight gain, so i’m not concerned about the weight loss being totally accurate.

That being said, i’m preparing for the initial release!

I will release for patron on the first of next month.

And then i will release to the public 1 month from then.

The only thing remaining is for me to test how the whole total conversion thing plays with normal installs. If it doesn’t work well, I’ll just release it all as a package distribution.

Keep in mind, that this is very bare bones, and most of the changes are behind the scenes.

7 Likes

Glad to hear the project isn’t scraped, and I’m excited for it even if most of it is under the hood.

Just wondering, how hard would it be to get some of the older Fmaster mods to work for your new update? Probably pretty difficult or at least time consuming I would imagine and some might just not work.

Thanks again for the update on your progress and to let us know you weren’t dead.

The old mods will not be compatible at all. And making them compatible would require significant rewrites to their content, and backend. If someone else want to undertake that then by all means they can, but i wont be doing it.

1 Like