Loveshandles Garbage Gamejam G'entry - Quiche Quartet

https://mega.nz/file/MTRhyarA#8jLJD7Oog9Hn6gx1jwRFgimfcBr6tsl3K2C0e8rzzSw

Well it’s not much, but it’s functional and I’ll feel like I just wasted the last 2 weeks if I don’t upload it, so here ya go! Quiche Quartet!
It’s a twine game where you serve as “mission control” for a group of adventurers as they explore the monster-infested ruins of Quiche Keep.
You can train them and tell them when to use items but other than that combat happens semi-automatically and most events don’t call for your input either.
So assuming it doesn’t collapse in on itself upon you opening it, enjoy!

11 Likes

Welcome to club Die-hard! I’ll check it out when I get through my stock. Either way, I praise you for committing to your project.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the game has an ending or not yet, but it’s certainly descriptive! How combat is broke down with what damage was done to who was hard to read with it all spaced out like it was, and I feel like navigation could have been a little better. As in, going into the Tactics room and then choosing a party member only to be sent back to the main menu afterwards is slightly annoying if upgrading multiple characters, as it probably should have looped back to the Tactics room. It’s still is a nice entry, and mayhaps you continue and refine it? You did a descriptively good job!

1 Like

I agree also to me atm its repetitive with just a few events

slime battle, rat battle, feast, treasure hole, wizard man? (literally just stopped and brain failing me) for the battles I mostly got slimes also the healing items don’t heal some bug about no hp amount given to heal (I think not a coder)

Okay, I’m mad cause I just accidentally deleted the long wall of text I was gonna post, so I’ll keep it relatively brief.
Firstly, thank you all for the feedback, it’s very much appreciated! Secondly, I do plan on continuing to work on QQ. I’ll make a new project board at some point, though probably not until I have a playable update ready (est. 3-4 weeks? Don’t hold me to that).

Thank you for the kind words!

I’m a fan of g2g so I appreciate you checking this out! The messiness of the combat window was a casualty of the time I spent getting it to work in the first place; having it look presentable is one of my highest priorities going forward. I also see what you mean with exit choices, those need some fixing too.

Again, wasn’t enough time to get more battles/events in there, only a fraction of the ones I’d planned made it in. As for the healing items bug, I thought they were working fine but apparently not. I’ll have to check that later, thanks for telling me.

So yeah, thanks again and condolences to the like ~500 people who played/downloaded it.

1 Like

Just wanted to leave a note saying I loved this intro to a very promising game! The descriptions were stellar and the UI made it very easy to know that was going on (save for the battles and the amount of empty space and developer info). Not sure if this is something you were wanting to continue, but I would very much enjoy a more fleshed out version of this game!

Hey, I’ve really enjoyed this game for a while now! If you are still interested in continuing to work on this game, and are looking for someone to help with coding stuff, I would love to work on this with you!

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 100 |

| Writing: | 250 |

| Concept/Design | 875 |

| Msc: | 165 |

| Total: | 21390 |

Comments:

I have to give quite a bit of credit for using twine to make a fun little dungeon crawler. The only big issue I think I saw was I was not sure how the fetish really played into the game mechanically and it can be hard to keep track of things due to twine just text dumping info. Still, much kudos for doing as much as you did with twin alone!

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 67 |

| Writing: | 190 |

| Concept/Design | 690 |

| Msc: | 30 |

| Total: | 20977 |

Comments:

As a proof of concept I think this project works. Some of the main feedback I have to offer is that 1 the opening is cluttered. You introduce 4 characters but attribute their dialogue in ways that make it difficult to follow. Overall, it’s hard to get attached to the characters with the limited dialogue. You have a bit of art, and something like a portrait would go a long way toward making it easy to understand who is talking. Besides that mechanically, the player needs more information. How much do things cost? What do they do? What is the status of the characters?

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 45 |

| Writing: | 195 |

| Concept/Design | 520 |

| Msc: | 20 |

| Total: | 20780 |

Comments:

This game felt more like an early alpha test rather than a finished product, even with the time limit of the game jam considered. The text shown on the screen is filled with error and debug messages and seemingly formatted at random, making it incredibly tedious and confusing to get through. The concept of a party manager combined with weight gain elements is a solid one, but the combat would need to be seriously fleshed out for this to be more of a core component, because as it is there’s not a whole lot of tactics involved other than clicking through the messages. I did enjoy the concept of a shop keeper getting heavier as you bought more stuff from them, and some of the descriptions were fun, but this submission needed a lot more time to shore up the instability and overall lack of polish.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 0 |

| Writing: | 250 |

| Concept/Design | 970 |

| Msc: | 115 |

| Total: | 21335 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 60 |

| Writing: | 150 |

| Concept/Design | 220 |

| Msc: | 40 |

| Total: | 20470 |

Comments:

Very well written with a unique combat system, this definitely feels like a more classic style of gameplay in its text based formatting. The addition of being able to train up levels and perks adds a nice extra layer to approaching combat. I also enjoyed getting to learn more about the party members in the break room, was a nice touch!

Scores

Art: 272

Writing: 1035

Sound: 0

Design: 3275

Total: 104952