Maybe Nothing...Maybe Something?

I am probably going to regret posting this, but I’ve recently started messing with Quest (read: last night), and while it isn’t necessarily the best for building a game, I’ve found it to be flexible enough (at least after I ripped into its inner workings) for screwing around with. It has taken care of a vast majority of the stuff I don’t want to code, leaving me with a slightly restricted but otherwise open canvas for testing some features I had planned years ago.

Attached is a screencap of me messing with random item generation, which seems to be working pretty well, I’d say, along with some reactive text to the different metrics. Going to continue to extend and push the limits of Quest, see what I can do it with it. I have a lot of features to test out, see if they can be implemented easily within Quest, but I’m mostly just having fun with it.

So yeah, this might turn out to be something, it might not. Too early to say for sure.

That being said, if people need some help with the more advanced features of Quest, I can at least tell you what I know from the whopping one day I messed with it.

I’ve been playing with Quest, too!

How did you handle random item generation, exactly? I’ve been staying away from the scripts that create objects because I didn’t see a great way to edit or track them afterwards…

I did it through a few steps:

*Created an inherited type that has all the initialization attributes so I can just add it to any object and its instantly ready to be randomized.
*Extended the object that I want to randomize with the inherited type.
*Created a function that is called when someone looks at or takes the item. The function looks to see if the inherited attributes have been initialized. If they haven’t, they roll the dice to see what to set the values as. If they have been initialized, obviously it just keeps the old values.

If need be, I can always access the attributes of the random object later through function calls, such as through the eat command.