Need game mechanic ideas

So far what I have is a sidescroller platformer/puzzle and the only idea I have to manage weight is by putting rocks on one side and making sure you don’t get stuck.

(the circles are rocks, the lines are bamboo)

Would anyone have any other cool mechanic ideas you would like in the game I’m making? The only fetish in the game is weight gain/fat, nothing else

The idea is to gain/lose weight during the level and have a certain weight by the end of the level to unlock the door,so you basically have to manage how much weight you have if you want to pass the level, the current theme is Bamboo Temple so try to keep the ideas to like temple themed etc

The current mechanics planned are:
-you can jump, but the fatter you get the more you cant jump / the lower you jump
-fattening darts, you step on a pressure plate and fattening darts will shoot from some dispenser or something
-fattening gas, same as above but maybe could be included as timed mode of something you have to run from?
-trip mechanic, if you trip over a small rock you can button mash to speed getting up, but if you’re at 5 and trip you can’t get up
-ladder that breaks if you’re too fat, A one way ladder, a weight limited ladder, a one time ladder, and a regular ladder
-fattening bamboo, bamboo placed around the map to use to gain weight for puzzles
-freeplay mode, where you can change your weight at will but if you beat the game you can unlock bigger sizes
-weight limited grapple, one type of grapple point is a motor where weight doesnt matter, and the other grapple point is a tree branch where it breaks if ur too fat
-seesaw, put rocks or something on one side to make sure you dont tip it and get stuck
-flip gravity upside down
-change how much things weighs (like all rocks now weigh 1 instead of 2)
-swap places with some magical statue or something like that
-water that you can’t dive in when too fat (you could let the player dive if they are carrying a rock, heavy enough, that must be ditched to float back up)
-destructible floors/walls (could be destroyed with fat or bombs)
-Large rocks that can roll down slopes, may be needed for puzzles or a hazard
-break boxes and cause platforms to crumble beneath themselves under your weight, but since the temple is magic, pieces of the stone temple rebuild themselves which allows the player to walk across at a later time.
-Fatless Talisman, let’s you be normal size for just a little bit before BWOOMPHing back up

3 Likes

this seems puzzle platformy so I was trying to think of things that would work well for that

• flip gravity upside down
  • change how much things weighs (like all rocks now weigh 1 instead of 2)
  • swap places with some magical statue or something like that
  • water that you can’t dive in when too fat (you could let the player dive if they are carrying a rock, heavy enough, that must be ditched to float back up)
  • destructible floors/walls (could be destroyed with fat or bombs)
2 Likes

ill put these in the list, thank u for ur ideas, if you have any more it would be appreciated

Large rocks that can roll down slopes, may be needed for puzzles or a hazard

1 Like

every idea someone writes down if i like it ill put it in the OG post

Well, you could use the different body sizes as ways to solve aspects of the level to reach the ending so to speak, for example, a hole that must be filled with something but you lack anything to fit it with unless you gained enough weight and cram your gut into it (while rocks may either be too small or too big).

Maybe have particular things that at a thin size you can only do, like crawling or entering tight spaces, while big could be used for other things, like weighing worn switches or breaking throw certain areas.

I think you should add something that can help one lose weight, to at least add more complexity to the puzzles without having them locked behind just heavier weight levels. Edit: Just noticed the talisman, but what if that could be a temp. item or something.

1 Like

talisman plans on being temp

i planned on having a weight-loss plant that if you touch it you lose weight, but i changed it to ladders cuz i wasnt sure

i like this idea actually, might use it

quick preview of the 1st, 3rd and 5th weight stage, anything after the 5th stage you cant move at all
together1

outfit is TBD so right now he has no outfit, might implement skins as multiple outfits

1 Like

updated art of Panel, this is his probably planned outfit

2 Likes

very cute! I assume you don’t plan to make a playable girl for this game, but I might give it a shot anyway when you have a playable build.

1 Like

If the game actually works out there’s a slight chance I’ll add a female player character, but I can’t promise anything

1 Like