Null, a fruitless project

I wasn’t actually trying to make a game for this Jam, rather, I was trying to see what i could do with my nonexistent knowledge of coding. The game itself doesn’t have much content, aside from one battle I don’t think Is even remotely possible to lose.

Arrow keys to move, Z is your “catch 20” key, and you’ll likely need to click before playing

5 Likes

the game doesn’t seem to work for me. I tried pressing every button and nothing is happening

Same here, I’ve hit every key that would make sense!

Assuming you both mean you can’t even move, it seems to work once you click on the ground (basically anywhere the green tiles are), and then the arrow keys should work afterwards, along with Z for interaction, so hope that helps!

that doesn’t work for me

How strange. I definitely can’t move at the start either when I first load the game, but works perfectly fine once I click the ground. May just need to reupload the game that has a work-around for this bug since it’s sure is an odd one.

I was able to play it. It’s got potential I think.

It’s simple but for just learning how to code it’s really well put together

4 Likes

Can’t really help in that department, honestly. Entire thing’s html based, and I was play testing it on the software I used to make it, rather than a browser.

Fun and simple, and just for coding it’s really something since I haven’t even tried doing a turn based mechanic yet. Like FA_Gamer says, it’s got potential! Great job on a first attempt! :3

Means a lot coming from you, Kanto! You have my gratitude for playing. If you want, i can send you a copy of the code, assuming you…
A) either know javascript or can still interpret from it, and
B) Are interested in the code in the first place

2 Likes

I do know enough javascript to be able to read it generally, and I wouldn’t mind seeing how you implemented it :3 Curious if its written like how I vaguely think it would be, thank you!

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 10000 |

| Art: | 160 |

| Writing: | 10 |

| Concept/Design | 265 |

| Msc: | 100 |

| Total: | 10535 |

Comments:

As said by Null on his submission there is not much there unfortunately. The game feels less like a game and more like playing with a frame work. That being said I think the battle screen is quite cool and would like to see a proper game produced with it.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 150 |

| Writing: | 0 |

| Concept/Design | 170 |

| Msc: | 3 |

| Total: | 10323 |

Comments:

As you acknowledge in your post, this is a first attempt. As a first project, I’m pleased that you’ve managed to get this far! it’s better than my first programs, for sure. I like what little art is there. It’s functional and hints at a retro style that so many people love. So my feedback is mostly just keep up the work! Practice makes perfect!

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 65 |

| Writing: | 30 |

| Concept/Design | 95 |

| Msc: | 20 |

| Total: | 10210 |

Comments:

By your own admission, this wasn’t for the game jam, so I’m not going to bother to mention that the theme was ignored. It was a good first try going in without any coding knowledge, I implore you to keep at it and you’ll find a ton of possibilities waiting for you as you get better at it.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 120 |

| Writing: | 65 |

| Concept/Design | 200 |

| Msc: | 80 |

| Total: | 20465 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 160 |

| Writing: | 100 |

| Concept/Design | 370 |

| Msc: | 30 |

| Total: | 10660 |

Comments:

I can see the concept what you were aiming for and its cool to have an ability that can add weight to yourself to increase the effectiveness of your blocking. For a test of your coding abilities, there’s some good ideas here. I hope you expand on these in future because there’s a good basis for a game here.

Scores

Art: 655

Writing: 205

Sound: 0

Design: 1100

Total: 52193